Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > BeNeLux Royalty

Books about Belgium royal family

(1/3) > >>

KentKim:
I've been trying to find out more about the history of the Belgium royal family. I'm wondering if there are any books about them, i've been looking and can't find any, except for some European royality books.

Robert_Hall:
The best book by far is by Theo Aronson. DEFIANT DYNASTY, The Coburgs of Belgium.

grandduchessella:
Is that the same as just The Coburgs of Belgium? They're both by Aronson but I don't know if there's a difference. Either way Aronson is a really good biographer. I wish he'd spent more time on Leopold II's daughters--what a bunch of characters. I would've liked also to read more about Clementine's long-delayed  love affair with Victor Napoleon.

Robert_Hall:
It is the same book.  I think Celmentine may be covered more in one of his Bonaparte books. I shall check.

Alicky1872:
I know of two other books which might interest you. The first is 'Elisabeth, Queen of the Belgians' by Sydney Cunliffe Owen. She was the consort of King Albert I. I can't recommend this book enough. I learned so much about this fascinating woman, who was also a trained opthalmologist. She was taught by her father, and was known to walk unaccompanied through the poorer villages, giving visually impared people consultations, and arranging for free surgeries to be performed.

The other book is her husband's biography: 'Albert of Belgium' by Emile Cammaerts. I own this book but haven't read it yet. It's quite heavy and appears to be a more scholarly take on his life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version