Author Topic: What got you interested in the Romanovs?  (Read 124452 times)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
Re: What got you interested in the Romanovs?
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2004, 12:18:22 PM »
Our site at http://www.eurohistory.com is being completely revamped, with new photos and graphics and some more materials.  Stay tuned!

You may also like to look into obtaining a subscription to the European Royal History Journal, to which many posters here subscribe and contribuute.

Thanks,

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline anne

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2004, 07:27:43 PM »
I have written a novel about the last days of the Romanovs.  Can anyone suggest an agent who is sympathetic?

Dashkova

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2004, 08:23:31 PM »
What do you mean, "sympathetic"?
Is your writing not good, but you want it published?  If so, you'll be in luck!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2004, 04:21:31 PM »
I have written a novel about the last days of the Romanovs.  Can anyone suggest an agent who is sympathetic?

I think she means that the market can be pretty hostile towards new writers starting out and you'd want someone who'd be 'sympathetic' as in interested in the book. In today's publishing world more and more is broken down into niches and it can be hard to crack through. If it's a fictional novel, maybe one of the smaller historical fiction presses? If it has a romantic angle, there are a lot of smaller presses there too. Some will take a leap on an unknown with e-book publishing which is less risky. Depending on the length, I've known a few who've self-published smaller ones and advertised in local bookstores and on the internet. Some fantastic books have come out of independent writers and sellers groups (whom I'd google around for to try and find a good match). I worked in libraries and bookstores for years and it was already bad then and I think it's just gotten worse, but diligence can often get you a long way! Good luck. BTW, what's the storyline?
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2004, 08:15:19 PM »
Unless you get self-published or open your own publishng business!  

Arturo Beéche :-*
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline anne

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2004, 05:51:49 AM »
Thank you grandduchessella for your helpful comments.  The book is historical fiction and opens as the family gets ready to leave Tobolksk for Ekaterinberg.  Maria is the central character in the book and I tell the story of the last few months as it affected her.  
An agent read the book and told me that he didn't like the book and he disliked historical fiction anyway.  His reader read the book and she said she enjoyed it.  Now I'm not sure what to do next, hence this message !
Many thanks for your interest and advice.  Having worked so hard on the novel, I'm loath to just abandon it.

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2004, 10:42:25 AM »
Oh no Anne!  Don't abandon that idea for any means!  I'm dying to read it!  But it would be even better if it centered around OLGA LOL!! :D ;D ;) :) 8)  

IlyaBorisovich

« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2004, 10:54:18 AM »
Michelle,

I'm working on a project that, as you would probably guess, has OLGA as the central character.  If you'd like to IM me I'll give you a few more details and let you know about future progress.  Until I'm more certain about its potential, I'd rather not discuss it in public.

Ilya

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2004, 10:57:09 AM »
Oh you are AWESOME Ilya!! :D :-*

Offline anne

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2004, 06:24:17 PM »
Michelle,
of course Olga's in the story - in fact she's a pivotal character.  I see Ana as the humor, Maria as the heart ,and Olga as the harrowing victim.  Poor woman.  What could she have felt, torn between family, a broken romance (I believe the rumours about her and Prince Dmitri) and the only chance she had to get out officially - the proposed engagement to Prince Carol.  I thinks she's the saddest of all the girls.  In fact, that's why I didn't write about her - the book took three full years and filling every day with Maria was tough enough - to fill it with Olga, getting thinner and more certain of her ultimate doom every day would have been too hard a book to write.  Do you think she suffered  a nervous breakdown in Tobolsk when Maria, Alix and Nicky left for Ekaterinberg?  Reading the diaries and notebooks of her comtemporaries, I've been inclined to think so.  It's harrowing to think that she might have known her death was inescapable.

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2004, 07:15:18 PM »
 I totally agree with you, Anne. :'(  Olga is such a tragic young lady.  She definitely is the saddest of the girls. :'( :'( :'( :'(  

So you said Maria is the heart, Anastasia the humor, Olga the harrowing victim, but what about Tatiana?  Just out of curiosity, haha! :)  :D  ;D

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2004, 07:37:50 PM »
I don't like limiting people to narrow categories, especially when they are historical figures that I don't personally know. Humans are such multi-faceted, strange, and wonderful beings that I loathe any attempt to label them, even if it is well founded. I personally think that going into anything with pre-conceived notions is unfair to myself and whoever I may be interested in.

But hey, whatever floats your boat!

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2004, 08:02:48 PM »
Oh I was just talking about Anne's book!! :-[ :-[ :-[

But it is just sometimes fun to discuss those sorts of things..... :) ;) :D ;D

Offline anne

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2004, 08:59:18 PM »
To JM: Please don't think that I went into the book with pre-concieved notions about any of the girls.  My opinions were formed after reading their letters (limited though they are), and writings of friends and family.  However, after spending years studying them, wouldn't it be odd if I drew no opinions at all about them? Each girl struck me differently, as I mentioned.  Tatiana is the one that I could least identify with.  I'm neither particularly religious nor family(read mother)-worshipping, which is how I found her character to be.  Therefore she's the one that I couldn't really fathom.  I'm intrigued to know if anyone out there has read anything that throws more light on the girls characters.  I thought I had read pretty much everything but there's always SO much to learn, isn't there?
To Michelle: Thanks so much.  It's wonderful to hear a voice of support in the wilderness - mostly I hear people saying "Nah" and "too hard to get published - don't even bother" etc.  A voice saying "hey, I think I'd like to read that" means a lot !! Thanks M.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2004, 09:05:18 PM »
I'm doing a novel myself but it's for a scholarship which I need desperately.  If they pick to publish this thing (it has to be sent in by April or something), I'll get money and royalties and a scholarship and a writing contract.  Woohoo!

Anne, your story sounds interesting, and so does yours, Ilya. :)  We all should e-mail each other with our progresses, haha.