Author Topic: What got you interested in the Romanovs?  (Read 124604 times)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
Re: What got you interested in the Romanovs?
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2004, 05:07:14 AM »
Anne, "courage" as they say in French.  I have complete respect for anyone who undertakes to write a book; I don't think that just anyone can do it.
A friend once said to me "everyone has at least one book inside them".  That may well be so but it is the getting it out and published that is the problem.
So to all of you who have dreams of writing, books in the pipeline or waiting to be published - hold fast to your dream and give it your best shot.  Good luck to you all and I look forward to seeing you in print.
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2004, 09:51:37 AM »
To Anne:  You're quite welcome!!! :D :)

I love almost ANY book about NAOTMAA, especially fiction!! ;D

Offline Genevieve

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2004, 12:57:20 AM »
I was sick at the age of five.   My mom gave me some really old life magazines to look through.   One of these
had Anastasia on the cover.   I was too young to really
read the article but enjoyed the pictures.  My mom told
me that she was a princess that died a long time ago.
Then when I was in high school I had to do a paper on Rasputin.   When I went to the school rearch room I look up the subject and there was my princess.  I read
Rasputin's daugther's book on her father and Nicholas
and Anastasia.  Also I am Anastasia by Anna Anderson.
Sorry but I  still believe that she is Anastasia.   Did any one ever read how her ears are identical to the historical
Anastasia.   How can anyone   be the same age, height,
ears,mole scar from surgery and foot deformitiy as  well
as scars from bayonets and bullets.   I saw a picture of Anna Anderson compared to Anastasia's Aunt Olga at
a older age and the pictures were identical.   Still think the DNA test were fudged.  When the grave was found
and two were missing, there had to be a cover up to
hide the truth.   She was disposable due to being raped and going insane.    Then they lied about her being the
Grand Duchess.   I know that it is not a popular belief but I will believe this to the day I die.

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2004, 07:57:14 AM »
Welcom, Genevieve!! :)

I'm actually in the same boat as you (Anna Anderson-wise) ;)

Offline anne

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2004, 10:22:16 PM »
I am curious to know your response to the results of the DNA testing on Anna Anderson's hair follicles.  They identified a close family link with the Franzhowska family.  Since various members of that family had come forward to claim Anna as their sister Franziska prior to the testing, I'm curious to know how you feel about the probability of their claim when laid against subsequent DNA results?  Without doubt, using the class-ist structure of the times, Franziska knew things that could not have been known to a "polish peasant", as she was described. Can you imagine the opprobrium that would be heaped on anyone who made such a class-ist claim today? I wonder how much of the strength of the argument lies in social constaints of the time....

Having read transcripts of GD Olga's visit to Anna in Hospital, and the court transcripts of other related royal visits, I'm inclined to believe that Anna was Franziska but truly believed herself to be Anastasia.  Perhaps the moment I stopped believeing in Anna was when she identified a lady from Chicago as her sister Tatiana (later modified to Maria.)  The lady later confessed to be an imposter.  

Still, it certainly doesn't minimise Anna Anderson's suffering.  Nor does it dispel any of the myth surrounding the two missing (burnt) bodies.  I doubt if two human bodies could have been burnt in the time depicted in the Sokolov diaries, and Sokolov himself proposed the burning as a possibility only.  It had been raining heavily in Ekaterinberg that summer and the ground was unusually wet (witness the debacle as they tried to bury and re-bury the bodies.)  There's no doubt that two bodies were missing from the final grave.  That does not necessarily mean two bodies were burned.  Remember, Sokolov only wrote the "latest" report on the murders.  It became the definitive (i.e. last eye-witness) report only when the Bolsheviks took power, soon to be overtaken by Stalin.  Sokolov's burned bodies passed into myth partly because it took us another 80 years to get back to the Four Brothers mine site to search for clues.  
Enough of my theories.  What d'y'all think?  Am I on-track, slightly off base or have I mis-spent my youth?

Offline Genevieve

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2004, 10:39:04 PM »
If they could fudge one test, why stop there.   The brother of the missing women stood in a court of law
and swore she was not his sister.   They had a court
session for over 50 years and could not prove or disprove her.   What I  think happened when the grave
was  found, they had to arraigned the test to "PROVE"
she was a fake.  I still think of that poor girl so sheltered. seeing and being so horribly shot and bayoneted.   Rescued and going to a palace of her aunts
and not being able to get to her.   I can understand her
being so unstable.   She was a hard to controll child and was likewise adult.   The real crime was the family turning away from her when she needed them after what she went through.  

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2004, 11:21:33 PM »
Anne you're not off base! I think you give a good statement considering that no one really knows the answer to this matter and I doubt I will ever see the end of it in my lifetime (and I am only 19).
I have never heard the story of Anna Anderson ID'ing a Chicago woman as Tatiana! That is very interesting. Where did you read about it? I also read that she was a supporter of Alexandra Suzana de Graff (the woman who claimed to be Alix's FIFTH daughter) AND a supporter of the Grand Duchess Olga claimant living in Lake Como, Italy, named Margot Boodts. If the bones in the grave are actually of the Imperial Family, than there was no reason for Margot Boodts or this Chicago "Tatiana" to have any credibility, and it would have been a disadvantage to Anna Anderson to publically give her verification.
On the other hand, Anna Anderson was so emotionally unstable that it would make sense for her to not know who she was seeing, even if she really WAS Anastasia. I am always so torn about the Anna Anderson thing, because I beleive that she wasn't Anastasia but then when I hear about her similarities it suprises me so much, especially when no one has really been able to prove that Anna Anderson was fed information or "practiced" for the role of the Grand Duchess.

I just wanted to say that I really love reading everything everyone has to say on this forum! Since I discovered it a month ago I never thought I could talk about my obsession with the Romanovs with a bunch of educated people like yourselves! I am going to a new college tommorrow (with 42,000 people!) and I am going to be away from home and am very sad about leaving  :'( but when I can come and discuss the Imperial Family here it really takes my mind of all the stress and makes me happy ! So thanks, everyone, and don't stop posting!  :D

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2004, 08:52:31 AM »
Oh, Abby, I feel the same way--if I can't go on this website to talk about the Romanovs, I get so cranky!!  It just makes me feel happy and energy boosted!!! :)

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2004, 08:58:16 AM »
"Welcome to the Romanovs' addicts Club!!!" ;)

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2004, 08:04:22 PM »
Proud to be a member! :)

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2004, 10:15:18 PM »
Me too--totally!!! ;D

Offline mashagirl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • OTMA Palace
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2004, 08:42:59 PM »
What got me interested in the romanovs was the Disney "anastasia", and one the theme songs i can't remember gave it a romantic quality and also it was interesting because i think gr.7 i found a book about anastasia and the book was Called "Anastasia's Album". Their was something about the story, their life and pictures of OTMA that make them look so real and i can't help staring at some of the pictures. In highschool
i wanted to learn more because they were facinating so i started collecting pictures of OTMA mostly, since each of them are like each other's bestfriend and the bond is really close; i can relate to Tatiana, Olga and Marie. Since my personality is a mix of all three of their's. For school i continued my interested when the teacher gave us idea's for a project and i wanted to learn more, so it was a good chance. Now i want to do a website but it's partly finished so here it is and i want to have visitors:
(it's my first time)
http://www.geocities.com/petz_underdog.com

Blue symbolizes that a person is peaceful..calm.. and Collected.

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2004, 08:03:26 AM »
I am sorry Mashagirl, the link did not work for me.

It is very interesting that you found Anastasia's Album in 7th grade, because I found out about it in 8th grade! Hehe. That must be a popular time for kids to do reports on history of royals or something. LOL

welcome to the board :D

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2004, 11:23:17 AM »
I have read many articles that show dislike toward the Disney movie and the old Anatasia movie with Ingrid Bergman.  Whatever your own  opinion,  I think, most  will have to admit that it appears that these two productions have helped to keep the interest of the Romanov Royal Family alive.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2004, 02:07:52 PM »
I got interested in the Romanovs because my parents had a copy of Robert Massie’s "Nicholas and Alexandra" lying around the house when I was a kid.  I was intrigued by the pictures (little Anastasia in court dress); the beautiful, exotic names like "Tatiana" and "Anastasia;"  and the elaborate family trees (Alix’s relationship to the British royal family). So I started reading about the Romanovs. I remember one summer afternoon, I must have been eleven years old, bursting into tears over the fate of the poor little Russian grand duchesses – I had just seen the famous official photograph of OTMA taken in 1906 (as reproduced in Gleb Botkin’s "The Real Romanovs").  Oh, how I cried over that photograph!  (This, by the way, is why I think the Disney movie about Anastasia was sick-making.  And that children’s book, "Anastasia’s Album."  Read more about how your heroine was murdered! But I guess children are resilient and you can’t protect them from the harsh realities of this world forever.)

At any rate, I then became fascinated by the story of Anna Anderson, because I so wanted to believe that one of these children had somehow survived. (My dolls were always grand duchesses with jewels hidden in their clothing, successfully fleeing from the Bolsheviks. In my version of history, the girls never died – I don’t recall minding so much about Nicholas, Aleksandra, Aleksei, and the dog!)

It wasn’t until I was an adult that I realized that in real life, there really are fates worse than death, and surviving the massacre of your family is probably one of them.  When DNA testing exposed Anna Anderson as a pretender,  my main feeling was one of relief for the historical Anastasia, may she rest in peace. (Athough I confess I also felt a wee bit annoyed, that yet another Great Historical Mystery had been solved by the experts. What next, definitive proof that Richard III killed the Princes in the Tower? – Actually, I think he did, but that’s not the point. What’s the study of history without a little mystery?  Isn’t the investigation that leads to the truth often more interesting than the truth itself?  But excuse this philosophical digression.)

Maybe passions that begin in childhood are ineradicable, and that explains my ongoing interest  in the Romanovs. I still can’t work up too much grief over Nicholas and Alexandra, by the way. I minored in Russian history in college and grad school (Russian literature is my first love), and it’s impossible to study Nicholas’ reign without feeling exasperated by his obstinacy, indecisiveness, and lack of imagination. .. Of course, it’s also possible I hold a residual grudge against Nicky and Alicky because my inner brat still can’t forgive them for not getting OTMA out of Russia in time!
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam