Author Topic: What got you interested in the Romanovs?  (Read 124460 times)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: What got you interested in the Romanovs?
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2004, 12:09:56 PM »
Dasha,
Just to clear things up, at their execution Nicholas did not have time to make a last request. Basically, he was told by the lead executioner that he and his family were about to be killed and he only had time to utter a few words before being shot, those words being "What? What?"

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2004, 01:21:22 PM »
Anna wrote:  >>This is an exceptional story. Why did Mr.XXX choose you in particular to tell you his story as you were only five at that time, why didn't he tell your grandfather?
    It's obvious a five year old child couldn't understand any of this. Why didn't you asked your grandfather? He could have known his name.  Is it possible Mr. X was one of the guards in Ekaterinburg? Did you kept this story a secret all those years or did you make investigations to find out, if, like you said this story turns out to be a red herring." The Fate of the Romanovs"is of course a great source but there are other sources to check I think.
     A lot of questions, but interesting to get some answers. <<

Answer:
Since it was my grandfather who told me to remember every word Mr. XXX told me,  I assume, he knew and his brother knew what it was I was told.  

Since my last entry, I have read a great deal of the Fate of the Romanovs and in my eyes it appears  Mr. XXX's story is quite  possibly closer to the truth of what happen that night of 16/17 July 1918.

As to why I was told the story,  I really don't know.

So, that is how I became intersted in the Romanov and the events which occured on the night of 16/17 July 1918.

For farther comments,  I'll be over on the thread which talks about: Did any of the Romanovs survive?

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2004, 02:00:13 PM »
Anna wrote:  >>This is an exceptional story. Why did Mr.XXX choose you in particular to tell you his story as you were only five at that time, why didn't he tell your grandfather?
     It's obvious a five year old child couldn't understand any of this. Why didn't you asked your grandfather? He could have known his name.  Is it possible Mr. X was one of the guards in Ekaterinburg? Did you kept this story a secret all those years or did you make investigations to find out, if, like you said this story turns out to be a red herring." The Fate of the Romanovs"is of course a great source but there are other sources to check I think.
      A lot of questions, but interesting to get some answers. <<

Answer:
Since it was my grandfather who told me to remember every word Mr. XXX told me,  I assume, he knew and his brother knew what it was I was told.  

Since my last entry, I have read a great deal of the Fate of the Romanovs and in my eyes it appears  Mr. XXX's story is quite  possibly closer to the truth of what happen that night of 16/17 July 1918.

As to why I was told the story,  I really don't know.

So, that is how I became intersted in the Romanov and the events which occured on the night of 16/17 July 1918.

For farther comments,  I'll be over on the thread which talks about: Did any of the Romanovs survive?

AGRBear

Thank you for clearing that up.  I'm so sorry for posting wrong info.  I appreciate any corrections that can be given.  Again, most sincere apologies.

Dasha
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2004, 02:25:37 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up.  I'm so sorry for posting wrong info.  I appreciate any corrections that can be given.  Again, most sincere apologies.

Dasha,
No need to apologize, people here are more than happy to clear up misconceptions. All one has to do is ask :)

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2004, 03:04:56 PM »
Thanks again Sarai.  Much obliged for your corrections.  I actually read about Nikolai's las words being "What?  What?".  I guess I just didn't give any thought to the fact that he in fact had no opportunity to make any last request.  I have been rather foolish. :-[  

Dasha
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

Teacher-in-Training
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2004, 03:49:21 PM »
No one knows for sure what Nicholas II's final words were.  They could have been brave and glorius.  If they were,  I doubt the CHEKA and later the communists would have repeated such words through the years.  

Did your "grams" ever tell you from whom she heard her story about what Nicholas II may have voiced that eventful night?

AGRBear

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2004, 04:27:04 PM »
No one knows for sure what Nicholas II's final words were.  They could have been brave and glorius.  If they were,  I doubt the CHEKA and later the communists would have repeated such words through the years.  

Did your "grams" ever tell you from whom she heard her story about what Nicholas II may have voiced that eventful night

AGRBear

The story was passed to my grandmother by her grandmother, who was a member of the gentry class, and lived through the Revolution.  She told my grandmother a lot of stories from the life in the Tsarist Russia, and I'm guessing somehow the story I posted got told as well.  I'm sorry again for posting something that is misinforming.  I was ten when I heard it, and I guess it just made an impression on me.  
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

Teacher-in-Training
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2004, 02:48:50 PM »

The story was passed to my grandmother by her grandmother, who was a member of the gentry class, and lived through the Revolution.  She told my grandmother a lot of stories from the life in the Tsarist Russia, and I'm guessing somehow the story I posted got told as well.  I'm sorry again for posting something that is misinforming.  I was ten when I heard it, and I guess it just made an impression on me.  

There is no need for apology.  You were repeating a story you were told.  History is written by people who repeat stories they were told.  Now,  we just have to fiqure out what the truth is.  And, just by chance,  your grams may have been told the truth.  Or,  stories, like your grams, were made up to help others feel better because of  what happen in Ekaterinburg on the night of 16/17 July 1918. And your grams thought she was repeating the truth.  I'm sure your grams wouldn't have repeated the story  if she hadn't believed...

AGRBear

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2004, 04:25:26 PM »

There is no need for apology.  You were repeating a story you were told.  History is written by people who repeat stories they were told.  Now,  we just have to fiqure out what the truth is.  And, just by chance,  your grams may have been told the truth.  Or,  stories, like your grams, were made up to help others feel better because of  what happen in Ekaterinburg on the night of 16/17 July 1918. And your grams thought she was repeating the truth.  I'm sure your grams wouldn't have repeated the story  if she hadn't believed...

AGRBear

Thanks for responding to my posts.  From a child's confidence in an adult, I never even questioned whether Grams has been telling the truth or not.  The only thing that makes me stumble is the fact that no records of that incident exist.  I'll keep looking into all that stuff, and I'll try to cut down on the apology posts.

Dasha
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

Teacher-in-Training
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

rskkiya

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2004, 02:22:49 PM »
AGRBear,

We know Nicholas' last words were  "What, What" because a number of the executioners testified to that fact when they were questioned by the Whites. Its mentioned in Massie's books.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2004, 12:19:04 PM »
AGRBear,

We know Nicholas' last words were  "What, What" because a number of the executioners testified to that fact when they were questioned by the Whites. Its mentioned in Massie's books.

Were these executioners the same ones who claimed they burned and buried the bodies of Alexis / Alexie and one of his sister [Anatasia or Marie] near by?  

Tell me one good reason why anyone should believe just part of their story and dismiss this part which so obviously is in error????

AGRBear

Offline rlgil

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2004, 03:11:45 PM »
This is my first time posting to the board -- what fun!

My interest in the Romanovs goes back almost four decades.  I was an old movie fan even when I was a child, and I watched Ingrid Bergman's Anastasia every chance I could.  I didn't understand it completely when I was six or seven, of course, but the story appealed to me so much.  My grandfather came to the U.S. from Russia when he was about 12, right before WWI, and I'm sure part of my interest in the film had something to do with his background.  He wasn't a fan of the tsar by any means, but when I begged to hear stories about his childhood he would tell me about the portrait of Nicholas that hung in his schoolroom.

I don't remember a time when I wasn't interested in history, and Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra and Fraser's Mary Queen of Scots were two of my favorite books when I was in my early teens.  Those two books pulled me into the world of European royalty and genealogy, and I've been happy there ever since!  When I was a sophomore in high school I wrote my big term paper on Nicholas and Alexandra, and my paper got the teacher thinking that the class ought to take the subway into Manhattan as a group to see the new film based on Massie's book. (Most of my friends were bored and I was very critical and superior!)  The next year, in drama, I directed two students in the scene in the play Anastasia where the Dowager Empress acknowledges Anastasia as her granddaughter.

All these years later I have a very large library of books on royalty, including at least a shelf of books on the Romanovs.  My interest in them took me to Queen Victoria and all her descendants, then her ancestors, and on and on.  My continuing interest in Mary Queen of Scots got me going on all HER descendants and ancestors.  Sometimes I feel like Wednesday in The Adams Family, parading around with my two favorite dolls, the beheaded MQS and Marie Antoinette -- royal tragedies have always been my special interest.

Anyway, glad to join the group!

randy
rlgil

rskkiya

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2004, 06:32:04 PM »
Rigil -- welcome! you ought to fit in quite well! ::)

AGRBear,
    Well... Penny Wilson has stated that simply because some evidence was given by a Revolutionary/SR/ Communist/ Cheka member that does not nessessarily mean that its all a lie...
     This information that you question has been coroberated by numerous scholars and historians...and there seems no obvious reason to reject the evidence... You might do well to inquire with Mr Greg King, Ms. Penny Wilson, or any other author or academic authority who frequents this site.

ok
R.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2004, 11:41:29 AM »
Since this thread is about how one became interested in the Romanovs and I've already told my story [Reply #74], the conversation about who should be believed etc. doesn't need to be on this thread.  I've headed over to the book section where many of us are talking with Greg King and  Penny Wilson about various facts about what happen the night of 16/17 July  1918.

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2004, 08:00:29 PM »
When I was in sixth grade, my homeroom/science teacher was a Romanov buff. She was very good at getting off the subject, so we discussed ghosts, UFOs, and the Romanovs instead of science most of the time! It was so interesting. I felt strangely drawn to the Romanovs and couldn't get enough on them! I took my own money and got a money order and sent away for a copy of Nicholas and Alexandra. In seventh grade, I read it every night! In May of that school year, it came on TV! (This was in 1975, long before VCRs) It was 2 parts. I saw part one and was anxious for part 2. But it came on the night of Mother's Day, and we went to my aunt's house, rode on my uncle's houseboat, it was a great time, but... we didn't get home in time to see part 2! I never did see it all until it came on videotape many, many years later. Over the years I have searched for any book or story on the royal family and anyone connected with them. I have several books, have read many at libraries, and was so thrilled to find books on your site that I have been unable to find anywhere, like Gilliard's and Buxhoevedon's! Thank you!

Ever since those days, I have gone on and off of huge Romanov 'kicks.' There are times when I am more interested than others, but the old magic always comes back and I get drawn back in again. Like now!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Annie »