Author Topic: What got you interested in the Romanovs?  (Read 124455 times)

Offline otmafan

• Knyaz
  • In Loving Memory
    • View Profile
Re: What got you interested in the Romanovs?
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2004, 09:03:04 AM »
I first became interested in the Romanovs when my seventh grade geography teacher briefly mentioned that the Tsar of Russia was killed. I decided to check it out. My first book was the Royal Diaries series "The Last Grand Duchess". It showed a few pictures and I loved them. So then I found the book, The Romanovs: The Final Chapter. I loved that too. And now I have read every library book on the Romanovs that is in our library's system! Plus I own a bunch too!!! Anyway, its been almost five years now, and I'm still absolutely stunned when I look at pictures of them and hear of their tragic death.

Offline Alexa

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2004, 11:39:30 AM »
For me it was my mom and a sailor's dress.  When I was about 9 years old my mom bought me a Laura Ashely sailor's dress for special occasions very much like those children of the late 19th and early 20th centuries wore.  One day, when I had it on my mom told me I looked like one of the Grand Duchesses.  I asked her what she meant, and she pulled out Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra and showed me pictures of OTMA.  That sealed it.  I pored over those pics for years.  Then, as a teenager, when I finally felt old enough to read Massie's book and fully understand it, I did.  I've been reading everything I can get my hands on since then.

Alexa

Offline BattleAngel

• I plan to live forever--So far so good!
    • View Profile
    • The Color Guard
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2004, 04:58:36 PM »
Hooooboy, lessee.

It all began about 39 years ago with a song.
It was the 1812 Overture, and there at the end where they play God Save The Tsar I evidently would wave and bow and grin like the maniacal 2 or 3 year old I was.

My mom used to call it "Baby's bye-bye song"

Of course I didn't know anything about the Romanovs and I somehow can't imagine my mother unfolding such an unhappy tale before a toddler.

Years passed and when the film Nicholas & Alexandra came out we went to see it but I don't recall that it made much impact beyond seeming rather dark and grim to my 8 year old mind.

Time marched on...

But oddly I never forgot the Romanovs. Furtively (I don't know why), I'd read about them, and something about the photos of the IF made me smile.
I was terribly outraged at their fate. It just seemed the apex of barbarity.
Later I tried to forget the sense of almost personal connection I felt to these people, and I forcibly put it all behind me...I thought...and got on with "real life" until...

About a month ago I heard the 1812 Overture again and that sense of strenuously suppressed joy came up at Oh Lord Save Thy People along with the tears of happiness at God Save the Tsar.

I fessed up to my husband about how this song had always affected me, and as he and one of our dearest friends are both interested in Russian history they encouraged me to "come out" about the Romanov thing.

Ever since I've felt like a weight has been taken off of my mind and I adore learning about the IF and all the related Fs.

I'm so happy that there is a place like this out there for Romanov junkies, and Oh isn't it wonderful to know that despite the best efforts of the Bolsheviks the Romanovs are STILL very much alive in our minds and hearts!

Offline jackie3

• Boyar
  • "...such pig and filth!" - GD Anastasia N.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2004, 06:32:52 PM »
I'm so happy that there is a place like this out there for Romanov junkies, and Oh isn't it wonderful to know that despite the best efforts of the Bolsheviks the Romanovs are STILL very much alive in our minds and hearts!

Mary, indeed in their effort to kill every Romanov they could find so there would be no "living banners" the Bolsheviks in a way made them immortal. If they had been allowed to live in exile in England or wherever, the Romanovs would be just like other dispossed royalty - the Hohenzollerns, the Hapsburgs, the Braganzas, the Orleans etc. and would have been of interest only to royal watchers or royalists themselves. By killing them in such a manner the Bolsheviks made the IF stand out. Nicholas and his family will probably be more thought about and written about in Russia in the far future because of the way they were murdered then they would have been had they lived and been represented today by Alexis' great-grandson and would-be pretender living in Paris. History is ironic sometimes.

rskkiya

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2004, 10:14:43 PM »
 Hello
Well--I think that one important reason for their continued appeal is the number of charming photos of them. Some are glamourous and some are so very very casual. This may seem an odd statement- but had the RF been unattractive...had the girls been squat & spotty or had N & A been ungainly, dumpy or gangly or just camera-shy --I wonder how many sites might still be dedicated to them?
Sorry if this is putting too fine a point on it --but a lot of people do talk about them as if they have become -- sort of ... well pin ups.

Just something to think about.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2004, 10:23:30 PM »

Mary, indeed in their effort to kill every Romanov they could find so there would be no "living banners" the Bolsheviks in a way made them immortal. If they had been allowed to live in exile in England or wherever, the Romanovs would be just like other dispossed royalty - the Hohenzollerns, the Hapsburgs, the Braganzas, the Orleans etc. and would have been of interest only to royal watchers or royalists themselves. By killing them in such a manner the Bolsheviks made the IF stand out. Nicholas and his family will probably be more thought about and written about in Russia in the far future because of the way they were murdered then they would have been had they lived and been represented today by Alexis' great-grandson and would-be pretender living in Paris. History is ironic sometimes.

"if you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly image"
                                            ---Obi Wan Kenobi

;)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2004, 10:09:35 AM »
This may seem an odd statement- but had the RF been unattractive...had the girls been squat & spotty or had N & A been ungainly, dumpy or gangly or just camera-shy --I wonder how many sites might still be dedicated to them?

I think this is an interesting and good point. I know that part of what first attracted me to their story was a picture of the four beautiful little girls. I do wonder if they would have had the same effect on me if they had been less-than-attractive instead of radiantly lovely. I definitely think that their beauty is part of their attraction for many. Once you get past their appearances, naturally you get to know their personalities and may like them even more because of it, but many of us were first interested in learning more about them from being captured by a charming photograph.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2004, 08:44:25 PM »

"if you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly image"
                                             ---Obi Wan Kenobi

;)

Yes, we always need Star Wars!!  ;D

meg kees

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2004, 10:39:31 PM »
When I was in St Petersburg last month, I experienced something that is hard to out into words.  But as I visited the Alexander Palace and many of the buildings in the city, I couldn't help but think how everything was 100 years ago.  All of the major events of the last reign were still in the future and the empire would continue to exist for another 13 years.  I thought about all of the terrible events the city and Russia experienced, first with the Revloution, then Stalin and WWII, and there I was standing where all of these monumental events took place, walking around enjoying the beauty of the city, promoting capitalism by spending my money, and they were all gone and in the end they didn't win.

rskkiya

« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2004, 11:10:14 AM »
     My interest in the Romanovs came in a  rather roundabout way...As a child I loved to look at my mysterious Grandfather's medals from the first world  war. He had died after the war of a lung ailment - he had been very badly gassed - and my own mother could not properly remember him as she was so very young when he perished. My dear Nana could not speak of him without tearing up...so he was a real fascination to me and my brother.The curious items that had saved from the trenches and his awards became magical talismans to an alien world.    
    As I grew and studied the war I became horrified and intrigued with the huge battles and dreadful mismanagement of so much of the military action on both sides of the conflict. This lead to a study of the Battle of Tannenburg ( Russia Vs Germany) From that grew a grotesque interest in the Russian army, the brilliant and paradoxical hero Brusilov and the all female Battalion of Death --and thus rather by chance I 'discovered' the family of the last Tzar...
   Certainly not under the most auspicious of circumstances!

R
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »

Offline otma_gal3

• I <3 Nicky II!
    • View Profile
    • Eternally+OTMA
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2004, 12:05:13 AM »
 I've practically known about them my whole life, ever since I was little. My mother was always interested in them, and I guess it kind of rubbed off on me! I've always loved looking through the albums, I think it is so much fun! LOL.... But, I think the main reason why I got so interested, was just the whole story of them. I always had found it so neat, and so intriguiging! That is pretty much why!

I'm a little shy :-[......I'm new here.

Made by grandduchess_42

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2004, 11:13:27 AM »
Here's it what first interested me:

And don't be shy Otma, the water's fine--jump on in!  :D

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Chris Fulmer

« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2004, 08:09:25 PM »
In a book on the first World War (the Great War, although for Alexandra it was almost certainly anything but great) I read around 1991, I read about how the czar was dissolved.  About 6 months later, I read my first account of Rasputin and his virtually free reign inside the royal family, which got me even more heavy interested (he remains my favorite historical figure.  Edvard Radzhinsky's The Last Czar sealed my interested; if you haven't read it yet, ,I suggest you get to e-bay now and buy it, because Radzhinsky knows how to tell a tale better than anybody (with the possible exception of J.K. Rowling, but I digress...).  It's interesting how history can invert itself, how the Romanov were almost universally despised when they were overthrown, and now they're saints, whereas who can remember any of the revolutionaries who overthrew them save Lenin and maybe Trotsky?  Thanks to Stalin's insanity, they've all disappeared into the footnotes of history, perhaps given what they deserved if one looks at it ironically, and since Stalin may well have been poisoned by his secret police, the same may be said for him.  

I still hold out hope that they might put the family back in power one of these days, but only in a ceremonial role, kind of like what Queen Elizabeth is now.  Apart from calling Doc Brown and borrowing his DeLorean to go back through time, I can't see how, but then again, nothing's impossible.    

rskkiya

« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2004, 08:27:58 PM »
Chris Fulmer, (?)

The Tzar was "dissolved?"  ??? Like an antacid? ??? Governments, Parliments and sugar cubes can be dissolved... but not an autocrat -- the Tzar was executed.
    I am sorry-- but  your last post was very difficult to understand...
What were you trying to say?

Y ne'panimiyu.

rskkiya

Offline kaatje

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2004, 04:56:30 PM »
If I'm truely honest my interest in the Romanov's began when I was 17 half way though my A'levels (first read Lieven, D 'Nicholas II', then Massie's N&A), but that really is only half the story, for my interest in Russia and many things Russian began much earlier, and I still am not sure quite why.  There are small insignificant thing and much larger ones, for an example of the former, aged 5 I had to say in a school play "meanwhile in a village in Russia" for something, I don't remember this, but my father does and thats were he say's my interest began, half jokingly.  Often I used to watch the tv when Gorbatchov (bad spelling i know!) was on, particularly when the tanks etc used to roll down/across Red Square for a celebration of some kind (did they do this on 7th November? as this is my Birthday so this could be why I remember), anyway I've always felt an affinity with Russia and Russians, maybe this has something to do with never fearing them (my father had always wanted to go to Russia, but it was too expensive so he went to Bulgaria instead during the 70's)
I also remember when they found the remains, it was on Newsround, which is a strange memory to have of a news report, I think, when I was 11/12!
So many things I believe had conspired to make be interested in Russia first, and then the Romanov's particularly.  Though in the past few years this interest/ or obsessive hobby some might say has dimmed somewhat, due to studying other subjects (Dutch Studies and now about to start a PhD in Sept) I have never forgotten them and still collect books on the Romanov's, I was incidently able to bring together a connection between Dutch lit and the Romanov's and write a essay on it! and will need to use some of my knowledge of Russia for my PhD.

I'd also finally like to say that reading Greg King's posting, I wholeheartedly agree with what he say's. If you really do believe in something then it can be achieved, I should know, I got into uni on the skin of my teeth, passed on the skin of my teeth, and then wrote a very good MA dissertation to allow me to do the PhD, which I doubt many people thought I would be able to do except those who read my dissertation that is, well I 've showed them now!

Katie