Author Topic: Précepteur des Romanov  (Read 2694 times)

Offline otmafan

• Knyaz
  • In Loving Memory
    • View Profile
Précepteur des Romanov
« on: May 24, 2005, 05:39:45 PM »
Précepteur des Romanov. Le destin russe de Pierre Gilliard

Is this any good? It is brand new and its about Pierre Gilliard and the Imperial children. I was wondering if I should buy it.

Offline Alexandra

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Précepteur des Romanov
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 07:05:27 PM »
Who is the author?

There is another one, in English, about _The Romanovs and Mr Gibbes_; I believe the publication date for the latter was 2002 (?).

Offline bernard_timbal

• View Profile
    • Romanov Memorial
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 08:14:43 AM »
Précepteur des Romanov. Le destin russe de Pierre Gilliard

Is this any good? It is brand new and its about Pierre Gilliard and the Imperial children. I was wondering if I should buy it.

Hi have just bought it yesterday. this book has been written by Daniel Girardin who is wrking in Lausanna Elysée Museum which stores Gilliards archives. This book has been written from letters of Gilliards and part of his famous book "le destin tragique de Nicolas II et de sa famille..."

Nothing new and only 150 pages but some interesting photos.

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 05:39:31 PM »
Is this book primarily text or is it more of a photograph album?

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »
... This book has been written from letters of Gilliards and part of his famous book "le destin tragique de Nicolas II et de sa famille..."

Nothing new and only 150 pages but some interesting photos.

Does this book contain any previously unpublished photographs Bernard?

Thanks,

Margarita
:)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 06:42:46 AM »
First published 2005 by 'Actes Sud' in their 'Archives Privees' series. Nice book, well produced on good quality paper, photo of Alexeii on front (scything grass at Tsarskoe Selo, 1913). Plenty of photos, some in small format. Most are familiar, but some new to me, all taken by Gilliard himself ~ his shadow visible in some (e.g. frontispiece of Alexei and Joy perched in the fork of a tree in a snowy Tsarskoe Selo). Some photos look familiar, but on close examination the angle is different, subjects in different positions, expressions changed ~ proving perhaps that Gilliard was there when a member of the family took a very similar photo which has become more familiar to us through their albums. For example, Tatiana with dog at the bridge on the edge of the park (Tsarskoe Selo) in 1917, with guards in the background : in Gilliard's picture the dog has moved and Tatiana ( sadly wrongly captioned in the book as Olga) has turned her head and seems to be addressing a guard directly. The text of the book does not add much to the familiar story, but has interesting section on the Russian tradition of having Swiss tutors, and lots of extracts from Gilliard's correspondence with his family. Photos of Gilliard alone (in his study, ready for a walk at Livadia) and also of Alexandra Tegleva (Livadia 1911), his future wife. He emerges from the pages as an honourable and dedicated man, frustrated at his inability to do little for the family at Tobolsk and Ekaterinburg, and totally devastated by the final outcome. A worthwhile book (apart from the usual annoying misidentifications of GD's in more than one photo), and good to see inside the 'Gilliard Archive' held in Lausanne. French text not too difficult for anyone with normal school French, but keep a dictionary handy for the occasional unfamilar word. For the Gilliard and NAOTMAA enthusiast, it completes the sequence ~
'Le Tragique Destin de Nicolas II et de sa Famille' by Gilliard himself (1921, Paris), followed by the first English edition 'Thirteen Years at the Russian Court' (1924, London), then Gilliard's own 'La Fausse Anastasie' (1929, Paris), a forceful condemnation of the impostor later proved to be a Polish peasant, and finally this book by Daniel Girardin, which neatly closes the circle by incliding the word 'Destin' in the title, but this time applying it to Gilliard himself.
ISBN 2-7427-5401-6