Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > Olga Nicholaievna

Orders and Medals

(1/2) > >>

Kevin From Australia:
I have seen photos of Grand Duchess Olga dressed in formal attire and wearing the Order of St. Catherine, but in some photos she is also wearing upto three medals on her shoulder, one of them I believe to be the Russian verions of the Order of the Red Cross, but does anyone know the other s medals orders she had?

Kevin From Australia:
In "Grand Duchess Olga's Pics" there is a photo on the 1st page placed by "Olga" of Olga with the St Catherine and teh three medals.

David_Pritchard:
In looking at the formal pictures of Grand Duchess Olga in the" GD Olga's Pics" thread, I see her wearing the sash and star of a Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Catherine the Great Martyr. The three medals on her left breast appear to be firstly, two simple Russian medals, possibly the Tri-centenary of the Romanov Dynasty or the Centenary of the War of 1812. The third and largest decoration appears to be the Investment Badge of the Order of Saint Catherine the Great Martyr using the white pre-1797 ribbon (maybe she was wearing an antique from Empress Catherine II) or it is the post 1797 red ribbon photographed in very bright light or the picture has faded.

DAP

Kevin From Australia:
Thank you so much for this David - it's greatly appreciated.

THe St. Catherine order is one that interests me and I am always looking for mentions of it.  Unfortunately it is hard to prove who had it - the non-Russians I mean of course.  

I am still trying to prove that Princess Helena Victoria (Princess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg) received it when she visit Russia in 1897/98, and that Princesses Thyra and Dagmar of Denmark received it in 1909 when tehy visited St. Petersburg when their parents King Frederik VIII and Queen Louise paid their State visit to Emperor Nicholas II.

David_Pritchard:
It would be interesting to find out if the order were conferred on foreign, non-orthodox supernumeraries. According to the statues issued by Emperor Paul I, only twelve ladies could hold the Order of Saint Catherine the Great Martyr in the First Step (Grand Cross) besides ladies of the Imperial House. The Second Step of the Order was limited to 94 ladies.

It could be that there were no brevets issued to foreign non-orthodox ladies, just a presentation of the decoration as their membership was against the stautes.

I suppose that you know that the Order ran a school for noble girls founded by Empress Maria Feodorovna in 1798 that was located at 36 Fontonka Quay.

DAP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version