Author Topic: Tsarina Olga!?!?  (Read 63953 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Tsarina Olga!?!?
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »
If Olga had had descendents they might not be part of today's Imperial family ( if there was one), as she may have married foreign royalty. It is hard to know. The reasons for the non restoration of the monarchy are long and complex. There are sucession disputes, and obviously the best form of goverment for Russia right now isn't a monarchy. It may never be again the best form of goverment for them.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2008, 02:13:14 AM »
Yes, they don't probably need it anymore because they're  already contented with democracy. Of course, it's nice being in a democratic country. You are free to express anything you desire unless that some cause trouble. Okay, thank you for your explanation Imperial Angel. smiling and grinning

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline steph34241

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »
The question to ponder that everyone forgot is if Grand Duchess Olga would have had the iron fist need to rule Russia. Although it sounds harsh, Nicholas II was missing this important feature, and, although she may have ruled in the Twentieth Century, Olga would not have been able to mess around. Tsars such as Peter the Great shoved the backward nation forward by what we would consider cruel methods. I'm leaning towards the side that says Olga would not have made a good Tsarina for this reason.

Olga would have made a perfect Constitutional Monarch, just like her father, or even a queen in another country in another time, such as England. She had many great qualities, you can't argue that, but that's the reason why she could not have become Tsarina.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2009, 05:50:05 AM »
She could not be a Tsarina in actual because Alyosha's there.
But if she would be now, I agree with you, Steph.
She would be so nice to people and would be very reluctant to give them a callous heart.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Grand Duchess Jennifer

• Graf
  • "Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918
    • View Profile
    • The Last Grand-Duchesses of Russia-OTMA
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »
I think Olga would have made a great Tsarina, she was very intelligent and she knew about politics. Since she was not a harsh person, but instead a really kind and gentle person, she would really care about all the people. I also agree with steph34241, I wonder if she would have been strong enough to rule her country. After all, it was, and still is, the largest country in the world. She would have been better as a Constitutional Monarch-- like Queen Elizabeth II is.

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2009, 05:39:08 AM »
I think Olga would have made a great Tsarina, she was very intelligent and she knew about politics. Since she was not a harsh person, but instead a really kind and gentle person, she would really care about all the people. I also agree with steph34241, I wonder if she would have been strong enough to rule her country. After all, it was, and still is, the largest country in the world. She would have been better as a Constitutional Monarch-- like Queen Elizabeth II is.

Interesting topic  :)
Olga she would have been a great tsarina, I'm agree with Grand Duchess Jennifer, she was intelligent and a good person.

Offline jehan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2009, 11:30:30 AM »
But as others have pointed out- "good" people don't necessarily make great rulers. Especially in Russia.   Neither do attractive people rule better than unattractive ones.

I would agree with others on this thread that she would have made a fine constitutional monarch.  But Empress of Russia?  That would need a firm hand, a certain amount of ruthlessness, and a strength that we don't not know if she possessed or not.  "Gentleness" would be detrimental, rather that an asset. Even if her task had been to guide Russia into a more democratic twentieth century- it would have been challenging for anybody. Olga was reasonably intelligent and averagely educated- probably a B+ student in today's terms.  There's no reason to believe she would have been an exceptional ruler, and that's what Russia would have required.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:32:06 AM by jehan »
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in. 
(leonard Cohen)

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2009, 12:50:52 PM »
But as others have pointed out- "good" people don't necessarily make great rulers. Especially in Russia.   Neither do attractive people rule better than unattractive ones.

I would agree with others on this thread that she would have made a fine constitutional monarch.  But Empress of Russia?  That would need a firm hand, a certain amount of ruthlessness, and a strength that we don't not know if she possessed or not.  "Gentleness" would be detrimental, rather that an asset. Even if her task had been to guide Russia into a more democratic twentieth century- it would have been challenging for anybody. Olga was reasonably intelligent and averagely educated- probably a B+ student in today's terms.  There's no reason to believe she would have been an exceptional ruler, and that's what Russia would have required.

correct observation.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2009, 05:43:08 AM »

About 'gentleness would be detrimental', you're right. If someone's  gentle, he/she might be mistaken as an ineffectual leader. That's what would throw her/him onto a lot of trouble.

Offline Alice

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but: Catherine the Great's son, Paul, changed the law of succession so that a woman could not be the sovereign, yes?

In Nicholas II's reign, did the power to change the law of succession still rest with the Tsar? I'm assuming so, seeing as he was an Autocrat.

Did Nicholas ever consider changing the law of succession back? I mean, after four daughters, you'd think he'd consider it. And then to have a son with haemophilia, you'd think he'd also consider it because of that.

This has always puzzled me. They had four healthy daughters. Why not change the law back?

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »
Perhaps he believed it was as it should be?

Offline Alice

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
Perhaps he believed it was as it should be?

Maybe. I just wonder if they ever considered it.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2009, 08:14:11 PM »
Alice, a woman COULD inherit the throne, but only after all eligible males were exhausted. And yes, the Emperor could change the law of succession, but it would have been very complicated and time-consuming. I doubt that Olga was ever seriously considered as an heir.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »
Was the Salic law imposed in Imperial Russia then? It's because only men inherit the throne. Based from what Robert Hall said,I can conclude they are (correct me if I'm wrong) please.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:37:32 PM by Olga Maria »

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
I'm reading Olga's 1913 diary and there is an interesting entry on this very  topic.

It's  Feb 15th 1913 . A cold  day, everyone in the family is at  afternoon tea. there is a guest however,  Rasputin,
who she calls  Grigory Yefimovich.

Olga writes

Everyone was sitting together with Grigory Yefimovich. Papa was there also of course . He ( by which I believe she means, Rasputin)  kept patting Alexis on the  head and said I could rule like tsarinas did in the past. Dined with Papa and Mama"

Amazing  Rasputin said that and in front of everyone! Remarkable. What prompted such a statement ? It didn't seem to make an impression, but still.

As to Olga ruling, I believe she would been well  up to it if wisdom was required. However it was too late for mere wisdom to make things right. She might have  felt compelled to continue the war, as her father wanted,  and that helped to doom  Kerensky.  But Olga could  at least opposed  Alexandra! A very rare trait and one a Tsarina Olga would have needed  ! 

But as things were, I doubt she wanted the job. I believe her primary focus became, even more,  her family and  particularly her parents. I believe Olga felt they  needed her and her sisters  during what was a terrible time, both nationally and very personally.  It's said she was more aware of their position than the others and so Olga might have felt a great responsibility to care for them. Their fates were linked together. She and her sisters wish to rejoin the family, no matter the future,  when they were separated for a time is palpable.

I'm intrigued Olga was armed while under arrest. It denotes family leadership.  And it's interesting Olga spent a good amount of time discussing  with her father what and where it all went wrong...that shows a passing of a torch of sorts as well.  Olga  had the right stuff. But both times and tide were angist her

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna