Author Topic: Did Olga write the reply to the rescue note?  (Read 16415 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Did Olga write the reply to the rescue note?
« on: June 04, 2005, 04:43:43 PM »
In FOTR, King & Wilson write that the reply to the rescue note "could, however, have been written by one of the eldest grand duchesses." because neither the Tsar's or the Tsarina's "distinctive" handwriting was a match (pgs222-3). Wouldn't Olga then be the most likely candidate of the two? Tatiana's handwriting, in my opinion, is much more distinctive than either of her parents'. Even in English, it's tough for me to read Tatiana's script...
Sm
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Did Olga write the reply to the rescue note?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 05:11:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was written by Olga; it certainly looks like her handwriting, not Nicholas or Alexandra's. ┬áIt was probably dictated to her by Nicholas though.  A picture of this is note in Khrustalev and Steinberg's The Fall of the Romanovs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lanie »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 05:13:41 PM »
If you have that book, would you mind posting a scan of the note?
Thanks!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 09:17:25 PM »
I would like to see the note too if it isn't too much trouble.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 09:30:17 PM »
This morning my scanner was going batty.  Now it seems to have calmed down.  Here is the first part of the letter to the "officer", 27 June 1918.  It sure looks like Olga's handwriting.  After this is an example of her writing in English.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 03:49:20 PM »
It does look similar. Could someone translate the note for me?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 10:37:05 PM »
 :)

The whole note read:

"From the corner of the balcony five windows face the
street, two the square.  All the windows are closed
glued and painted shut.  The Little One is still sick in
bed and cannot walk at all.  Every disturbance causes
him pain.  A week ago, because of the anarchists, we
were supposed to leave for Moscow at night.  It is
important not to risk anything without being absolutely
sure of the result.  We are almost all the time under
watchful observation."

This per King/Wilson's "The Fate of the Romanovs."
:)
Janet R.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 11:02:30 PM »
thank you for translating. I just started reading that book.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 11:09:37 PM »
Here is the translation of the part of the note I posted:

We do not want to, nor can we, escape.  We can only be carried off by force, just as it was force that was used to carry us from Tobolsk.  So do not count on any active help from us.  The commandant has many aides; they change often and have become worried.  They guard our imprisonment and our lives conscientiously and are kind to us.  We do not want them to suffer because of us, nor you for us; in the name of God, avoid bloodshed above all.  Find out about them yourself.  Coming down from the window without a ladder is completely impossible.  Even once we are down we are still in great danger because of the open window of the commandant's bedroom and the machine gun downstairs, where one enters from the inner courtyard.  (following sentence crossed out by Olga) Give up then on the idea of carrying us off.  If you watch us you can always come save us in case of real and imminent danger.  We are completely unaware of what is going on outside for we receive no newspapers or latters.  Since we have been allowed to open the window, surveillance has increased, and we are forbidden to stick our heads out at risk of getting shot in the face.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 10:49:36 PM »
Thanks, Lanie!

Here's another sample of Olga writing in English (1915), followed by a sample of Tatiana's script (also 1915). Both come from the catalog of the exhibition NICHOLAS & ALEXANDRA.

I have to admit, Olga's writing doesn't look to me like a dead ringer of a match for the rescue note, but I'm darn sure it couldn't have been Tatiana!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 11:36:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure (99%!) it was Olga that wrote that; it certainly isn't Nicholas or Alexandra.  My handwriting changes, is more legible, when I write in what little French I know (ie when I was in French class); my English handwriting is awful, much like Tatiana's.  ;D  Olga did the curious thing with her T's... in the French note and here on an Easter card to Louis Mountbatten:

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 09:01:37 AM »
Lanie thanks for taking the time to scan and post the notes for us. I always found that part of the story fascinating -- that the actual 'rescue' notes exist and are documented. It's like we have proof that the family was in that house and wanted to escape very much to go so far as to sneak a written plea for help. It gives me the chills  ! I am pretty sure that Olga wrote the note as well; it looks like her handwriting (although her writing can sometimes look like Alexandra's, as in the sample above) but if we think about it; Olya's writing was the neatest, and she would probably want to play an active role in whatever the group was doing to make their rescue possible.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 03:41:16 PM »
Mind you, in the last note they said "We don't want to escape, the only way we will leave here is by force" or words to that effect - quite a different attitude from the first two notes, though I think even the first two replies were not overly enthusiastic sounding - something must have made them suspicious by the 3rd letter.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 02:28:19 PM »
Mind you, in the last note they said "We don't want to escape, the only way we will leave here is by force" or words to that effect - quite a different attitude from the first two notes, though I think even the first two replies were not overly enthusiastic sounding - something must have made them suspicious by the 3rd letter.

I wonder about that too. Why would she write that the didn't wnat to escape????? Was it because they couldn't see what was in store for them? Was it code in case the note fell into the wrong hands??  ??? ???

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 06:28:58 PM »
I believe their sudden reluctance had to do with the proposed method of escape: climbing out the windows and down to the street on a rope! This was clearly not a viable option for Alexei, and probably highly unlikely for Alix as well. Also, the rescuers couldn't promise they'd be able to save the family's four servants. I think the logistical risks, combined with their loyalty to one another, made them change their minds.