Author Topic: Marie Feodorovna -  Your Opinion  (Read 93816 times)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Feodorovna -  Your Opinion
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2010, 06:47:45 AM »
Marie Feodorovna was barely 47 when her husband died, so rather young to retire from public life.

She may not have handled the differences with Alexandra terribly well, but I doubt that Alexandra did anything to help herself. Marie Feodorovna had been against Nicholas marrying Alexandra - and her judgement was proved right on this one. Was she also against Nicholas marrying immediately after his father's death? I'm not sure, but I imagine that she would have preferred him to wait until the formal mourning was over. That's not a good start to a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law relationship, even if the two had not been totally different people. alexandra's conviction that she was always right and refusal to follow advice would hardly have helped.

Ann

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2010, 09:37:12 AM »
I agree with you 100% Ann.

Marie knew the introverted & shy Alicky would find public life daunting, and it was a problem she never had herself. Her daughter Olga Alexandrovna said her mother was made for the role as she was never afraid to meet people and chit chat with strangers, In fact she shone in this type of envoirnment. In actual fact, although Alicky was the sister of the sociable accomplished Ella, she was not like her at all. Marie was bossy but never unkindly, while Alicky was sensative and prone to be depressed in nature. It was not a good fit for a close relationship between mother and daughter-in-law.

Eric

Offline AnastasiaNikolaevna

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
Hmm...Well, everybody has opinions, but I feel the way she treated Alix was a bit harsh, to say the least. After all, she was foreign, too! I don't know very much about her, but the anecdotes I've heard about her seem like she wasn't the nicest person in the family!
You are filled with anguish
For the suffering of others
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
Forever cold and pitiless
But only if you could look upon
Your Own sadness From a distance
Oh, how you would pity yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »
I don't think so, she was never mean or cruel yet she wasn't too attentive to Alicky, who was super sensative. Minny who had years of experience as empress expected Alicky to follow her lead, but the stubborn younger woman had ideas of her own.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2010, 12:36:57 PM »
That is true.
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
Indeed. Alicky's innate shyness put her in a difficult position as the first lady in Russia, while MF always made people felt welcome and smooth the path for difficult situations.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »
That's true. It might not be that ________ was mean, just that their different personalities didn't get along very well.
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Well...Olga Alexandrovna said it in her memoirs that her mother enjoyed being Empress of Russia and loved socializing. Poor Alicky was shy and tongue-tied when meeting strangers.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »
Right...and Alix got those terrible red patches from her nerves, which Anastasia inherited.
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2010, 07:55:56 AM »
Yes. However when she was relaxed and well, she could be good company to her intimate circle. Sad that few saw that side of her...

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
Yes. I guess it was just big crowds of people that scared her.
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself
How sadly you would we

Offline Nicolá De Valerón

• Graf
  • Soul to God, Loyality to Crown, Honor to nobody
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »
Little 5 cents;).

I'm not an expert exactly about Marie's life, but some thoughts and my personal opinion...

Great woman, excellent mother and unfortunately totally unrealised as a Russian leader. Sadly, but after N-II marriage (and mainly during Rasputin saga) her influence on real Russian politics diminished. Also very sadly, that Marie, being totally aware of all the catastrophic situation in Russia (Rasputin, WWI consequences, real image of the IF among an ordinary people, etc) was unable to do something serious to change the situation. There were already another people who hosted solutions in Winter Palace. We know the tragic end of these solutions. All in all - sad destiny of an interesting, beautiful and intelligent (rare quality for absolute Monarchy) woman, Marie Feodorovna.
"I think that if Shakespeare lived in our times he would not be able to write. Many of his works are not welcome on stage nowadays: The Merchant of Venice – anti-Semitism, Othello – racism, The Taming of the Shrew – sexism, Romeo and Juliet - hideous heterosexual show..." - Vladimir Bukovsky.

Offline violetta

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »
Little 5 cents;).

I'm not an expert exactly about Marie's life, but some thoughts and my personal opinion...

Great woman, excellent mother and unfortunately totally unrealised as a Russian leader. Sadly, but after N-II marriage (and mainly during Rasputin saga) her influence on real Russian politics diminished. Also very sadly, that Marie, being totally aware of all the catastrophic situation in Russia (Rasputin, WWI consequences, real image of the IF among an ordinary people, etc) was unable to do something serious to change the situation. There were already another people who hosted solutions in Winter Palace. We know the tragic end of these solutions. All in all - sad destiny of an interesting, beautiful and intelligent (rare quality for absolute Monarchy) woman, Marie Feodorovna.

I do agree with you,Nikola. Also. I think she was truly dedicated to her new country. At the timeof civil war she refused to leave Russia though her sister,the dowger empress Alexandra, and her nephew,the Danish king, offered  her an opporuniy to leave Russia. it was only after her and her family`s life were in real danger that she agreed  to leave the Crimea. She also asked for additional ships to take all those people who wanted to escape the bolsheviks. In this way, MF saved lives of hundreds of people.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »
Like her sister Alix, Minny could be very caring and generous to others, while selfish to those closest to her.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »
Really? I never knew that!
And no one's grief
Has ever passed you by
You are relentless
Only towards yourself