Author Topic: Ilya Glazunov's painting, Sto Vekov  (Read 17324 times)

Lizameridox

Ilya Glazunov's painting, Sto Vekov
« on: June 05, 2005, 09:45:57 PM »
Please forgive me if this is the wrong spot for this and feel free to move it where it belongs.  On another thread where the Emperor's virtues were being discussed, Ilya Glazunov's painting Sto Vekov was brought up.

Here is a link for anyone that should like to see this comprehensive mural featuring little Alexei Nikolaevich front and center, flanked by those other slain princes, Boris and Gleb:

http://www.ilya.glazunov.ru/images/214max.jpg

lexi4

Re: Ilya Glazunov's painting, Sto Vekov
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 10:02:28 PM »
Thank you so much for posting the link. I am really enjoying it.
How many people can be named?

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 10:32:29 PM »
That is a facinating picture! Thanks for posting!  ;D

JaneEyre5381

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 11:13:48 PM »
This is indeed a fascinating painting.  Thank you very much for posting it.  Do you know by any chance when it was painted?  Thank you in advance for your reply.

Shvibzik

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 11:23:16 AM »
Who are the people riding in the sleighs?  Or can they be named?

30_Dollar_Princess

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 11:41:56 AM »
Wow, that is an impressive piece of work.
It would be great if there was a guide to it that identifies the subjects.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 01:52:33 PM »
In the sleigh, on the right hand side, Lenin is standing and Stalin in seated next to him.  I don't know who the fellow playing the accordian is.

nerdycool

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 01:57:58 PM »
Wow! Incredible piece of work. The people in the sleigh, if my eyes are correct, are Stalin sitting in the front, I don't know who the accordian man is, and the man standing in back holding a crown would be Lenin. It's interesing that the troika that carries them has horses who are colored the colors of the Russian flag... as if Russia itself is leading these men into power.

As for identifying those in the pic, I can find Nicholas II, Alexander III, Alexander II, Nicholas I, and Peter I. Of those who I THINK I see, there are Catherine II, Paul I,  Alexei I, Kerensky, the Snow Maiden.

For the Saints, all I know is that St. Gleb is standing to the right of the Tsarevich. Perhaps someone more familiar with them will know.

Elisabeth

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 02:34:04 PM »
I have a poster of this painting with a crib in Russian for the identities of all the people in it. If you want to know who somebody is just give me some general directions and I will try to find him or her.

The harmonica player to the right with Lenin and Trotsky is just labeled "garmonist," i.e., harmonica player! The far right of the painting depicts the triumph of the Communists, the far left the triumph of the Golden Horde (the Mongol yoke). Thus the painting is flanked by the two greatest catastrophes in Russian history.

In between, in the front rows, the personages are, from left to right, (St.) Prince Vladimir, (St.) Metropolitan Peter of Moscow, St. Sergei of Radonezh, (St.) Prince Dmitry Donskoy, (St.) Prince Boris, Pushkin, a little girl ("devochka," in Russian), Lermontov, Dostoevsky, Gogol, (St.) Tsarevich Alexei, Lomonosov, (St.) Prince Gleb, St. Joseph of Volotsk, (St.) Patriarch Hermogen, General Skobelev, St. Serafim of Sarov, St. Ioann of Kronstadt, Tolstoy.

Arleen_Ristau

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 02:47:18 PM »
Looks to me like the man standing in the sleigh with Stalin is Trotsky....and that Lenin is to the left and higher up on a billboard sort of thing...(that famous picture of him)
Alexei looks so sweet and tragic....
What a fabulous thing, wonder how long it took to paint!
..Arleen

Shvibzik

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 03:16:14 PM »
In the sleigh, on the right hand side, Lenin is standing and Stalin in seated next to him.  I don't know who the fellow playing the accordian is.

I thought they looked familiar!

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 08:59:38 PM »
Is this suppost to be Nicky?

Lizameridox

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 10:00:22 PM »
Looking at this again I note how Tsarevich Alexei and his Palm Sunday catkins seem to glow in the light of his candle.  I also believe St. John of Kronstadt - who gave the sermon at the little fellow's baptism - is holding an icon of the Resurrection, the nearest icon to the viewer.  This picture must have been painted not long before the glorification of the Royal Martyrs: before then it would have been presumptious yet to openly represent Alexei Nikolaevich in Russia as the saint he had already been proclaimed elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lizameridox »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 10:31:19 PM »
Is this suppost to be Nicky?
I don't know - it doesn't look quite right. but alot of the other Emperors and Empresses are there, I saw Peter the Great, Catehrine the Great, Nicholas I, Alexander II, Alexander III, so I guess if it's not him, he is in there somewhere. It looks like the bottom is cut off of the mural though when I try to look at it. There is the head of a girl at the bottom, but who is it?

nerdycool

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 11:02:53 PM »
This picture must have been painted not long before the glorification of the Royal Martyrs: before then it would have been presumptious yet to openly represent Alexei Nikolaevich in Russia as the saint he had already been proclaimed elsewhere.

On the website, it says it was painted in 1988.

On a different page, I ran across one that looks like it came from the same pic, but it was cropped out of the one above, although it wasn't because this one was painted in 1994.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by nerdycool »