Author Topic: Tatiana's Name  (Read 79383 times)

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
Re: Tatiana's Name
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2009, 03:47:57 AM »
Oh,  I'm just so unlucky to  be unable to hear their names spoken in Russian. That's just why I name myself Olga Maria (It sounds so cute and relaxing). In english that's "Holy Mary".
But I'm not a Catholic, I'm a Protestant. We don't worship Mary. Don't mind this religion topic anyway. Sorry if I've mentioned it.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2009, 04:13:40 AM »
Well on Russian for example is wrote "Великая Княжна Олъга Николаевна Романова" Velikaya Knyajna Oluga Nikolaevna Romanov.... something like that it sounds.....
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2009, 05:43:45 AM »
 Irina, Do you pronounce her name quickly that it sounds more like Olga or you speak it the usual as in Oluga?
I pronounce it always as Olga because that's how her name is spelled. ;)

By the way, Tatiana's name is an ancient Greek surname. So, it had been used as a surname before it turned to a nice girl's name. History's just so wonderful.
But it's really a nice surname. If we use it nowadays, everyone would mistook it as your own name, right?

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2009, 08:07:25 AM »
There's a whole thread about pronunciation of both names and places here.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2009, 01:28:40 PM »
Irina, Do you pronounce her name quickly that it sounds more like Olga or you speak it the usual as in Oluga?
I pronounce it always as Olga because that's how her name is spelled. ;)

By the way, Tatiana's name is an ancient Greek surname. So, it had been used as a surname before it turned to a nice girl's name. History's just so wonderful.
But it's really a nice surname. If we use it nowadays, everyone would mistook it as your own name, right?

Quickly Olga...
I have to check what Tatiana means.... it was something very sweet... but is typical Russian name :/

Offline Proud_Olga

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2009, 01:44:26 PM »

I have to check what Tatiana means.... it was something very sweet... but is typical Russian name :/

It means 'Fairy' or 'Fairy Princess' I saw those two meanings.
Tatiana's royal play site.
My DeviantArt
Banner & avatar courtesy of GD Ally.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2009, 03:17:58 PM »
That´s a common mistake here. "Fairy Queen" is not Tatiana but TITANIA, which is a different name.

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
Nope,Tatiana means "fairy queen" according to the multiple sites I just searched and Titania means "giant".
I'm back on my bull****.

Offline Marie-Catherine

• Boyar
  • Just remember they were normal people, like us.
    • View Profile
    • My travel blog (French only)
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
I agree. Titania seems to come from the word titan (Just like the Titanic :)), which, in French, means giant litteraly.

"Time flies by with a horrible quickness" -Maria

Thanks to the talentful FadedDreams for the banner !

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2009, 04:21:04 PM »
I think it comes from Shakespeare, where Titania is fairy queen or something. But Tatiana is NOT fairy queen, it ićomes an ancien Roman surname -and that simply doesn´t sound so romantic.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »
No, Tatiana doesn't mean fairy queen, that is Titania who appears in Shakespeare's Midsummernight's Dream!
Tatiana is the female version of the Roman name Tatian. It's meaning is not known. A much venerated Martyr of the Church was called Tatiana. Being Orhtodox, all the Romanovs were named for Saints of the Orthodox Church. However, their interest in the play may have inspired them towards choosing those particular names - but they were certainly not Baptised in the names of Pushkin's characters. We also have 'Confirmation' at the same time as Baptism, so our given names are indeed in every sense of the word our "Christian Names".

This has been posted by Georgiy on the first page of this thread, and it explains everything really well.

Offline Grand Duchess Jennifer

• Graf
  • "Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918
    • View Profile
    • The Last Grand-Duchesses of Russia-OTMA
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
Actually, I found a website that said Tatiana means "A Russian Saint". Do you think this is true? I know that the Romanovs were often named after Saints, but I've never heard of the name actually meaning Saint. The link is http://www.zelo.com/firstnames/index.asp Just search Tatiana and you'll find the information. Also, if you click on the Popularity section, scroll to the bottom and click where it says CLICK HERE, you can see lots of crazy names! One was "Eadwardsone"!

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2009, 01:37:24 AM »
I guess somebody made a huge mistake. Tatiana (and not only the Grand Duchess) IS Russian saint, but the name itself cannot be translated like that. If any of the girls had "saintly" name it was Olga since her name means "holy".

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »
I agree with Ally...
The name is not fairytail princess or something to what i know it means "holy"

Offline Grand Duchess Jennifer

• Graf
  • "Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918
    • View Profile
    • The Last Grand-Duchesses of Russia-OTMA
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2009, 03:53:30 PM »
Thank you Ally and Irina! :)  I didn't think it ment Saint anyway, but since I am new I just wanted to double check first. Also, about Tatiana's name, I would have to agree with Georgiy - many female names do come from the male version, like Samuel and Samantha, Paul and Pauline, or in this case, Tatian and Tatiana.

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally