Author Topic: Victoria Louise, Duchess of Brunswick  (Read 289857 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Louise, Duchess of Brunswick
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2007, 08:01:44 PM »
Yes, Joachim was the suicide. Joachim doesn't play a prominent part in her memoirs--this could be because they weren't especially close or due to some circumspection in writing the memoirs, I don't know. From what I remember, I think other brothers were mentioned more so, despite the closeness in age, he might not have been her favorite.

Yes, this could be; also, while I am not sure about VL or the royal family, during the period even up to recent times, suicide was a much tabooed subject and family members who did themselves in were simply not discussed beyond whispers. For Viktoria to have openly talked about Joachim, especially in fond terms, she would have exposed herself to questions, probes, and details about his life and death which she and the family very likely did not want to talk about.
HerrKaiser

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2007, 06:25:07 AM »

Princess Viktoria Luise posing with her mother Auguste Viktoria and her brother
Joachim

Dona looks like a 60 year old grandmother in this picture, not the mother.

Does anyone know how old Dona is in this picture?

TampaBay

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2007, 09:10:56 AM »
I did not see a date on the photo, but Dona was 34 when she gave birth to Viktoria Luise, and 32 when she had Joachim. Judging from the appearance of VL and Joachim, they are probably around 10 and 12 respectively, making Dona somewhere around 44ish.

What I think you are responding to is her white hair. That premature whiting/greying always adds a good 10-15 years on a person's appearance. her face looks just about right for a mid 40s woman, and you can see in photos of her much later that her facial appearance remains quite similar to what we see in this photo.
HerrKaiser

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2007, 01:20:10 PM »
Yes, Joachim was the suicide. Joachim doesn't play a prominent part in her memoirs--this could be because they weren't especially close or due to some circumspection in writing the memoirs, I don't know. From what I remember, I think other brothers were mentioned more so, despite the closeness in age, he might not have been her favorite.

I'm guessing that it was because of how he died. But, it would be interesting to know her thoughts on that, and how much of a tragedy it was for her. That's why I asked. It would have been more of a tragedy had she been close to him, for sure.  It was a tragedy for the family.She might have been close to him, but mentioning it could have had the effect HerrKaiser mentioned. What year were her memoirs written?

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2007, 08:23:52 AM »

Princess Viktoria Luise posing with her mother Auguste Viktoria and her brother
Joachim

Dona looks like a 60 year old grandmother in this picture, not the mother.

Does anyone know how old Dona is in this picture?

TampaBay

I think she had 47 years old on this photo.

But, I read somewhere that certain witnesses of the time claimed that the hair of the german Empress bleached following a diet to which she had been subjected to lose weight, because the Kaiser Wilhelm II did not love the fatty women. As, she made older as she was it really.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 08:27:24 AM by KarlandZita »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2007, 09:12:17 AM »
Interesting. Dona always looked, as did nearly every one else during that era, a slight bit robust, but I would not consider her to have been fat; never heard of a diet causing one's hair to permanently go gray either! Maybe Jenny Craig should get in the business of hair coloring!  ;)

Is the home in which VL lived with her prince husband Ernst still existing and what is it currenly used for?
HerrKaiser

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2007, 09:13:40 AM »

Viktoria Luise and her six brothers

The little Princess playing with a dog
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:17:10 AM by KarlandZita »

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2007, 12:28:36 PM »
Great photos! the seven children look super!

Clearly, that is the Kronprinz seated with VL, and would the left to right IDs be:

Oskar, Eitel, Adalbert (the good looking prince), Joachim to the right of Wilhelm, and Auwi?

Thanks!
HerrKaiser

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2007, 11:10:31 AM »
Some pics of the young Viktoria Luise of Prussia :

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:12:08 AM by KarlandZita »

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »
Wonderful pictures! Haven't seen these before; VL was a very good example of a 'fairy tale' princess in many ways. As the only 'real' German princess born to a reigning Kaiser plus her sweet and approachable looks AND her fairytale romance and marriage, she was the last of a breed for sure.
HerrKaiser

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2007, 10:52:26 AM »

Princess Viktoria Luise wearing wonderful dress and very big hat

Viktoria Luise on horse

Viktoria Luise riding with her brother Oscar

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2007, 02:49:42 PM »
More great photos! Interesting how the photographer/artist captioned the photo with VL first mentioned followed by Oskar. This is not in age order or rank. Possibly a reaction to the public appeal of VL? She, as the only princess of the empire, had much good press and public adoration.

the photo in the dress and "hat" must be vintage post-war, yes? She is looking slightly matronly, however, the outfit strikes me as a 1912ish style vs 1918 or later. Plus most of what I have seen of her after the war was far more subtle and reserved in appearance.

the horse photo is SO Prussian! even the horse is perfectly 'in order'! :) it almost has the appearance of a sculpture rather than a photo.

HerrKaiser

Offline CatherineNY

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2007, 07:53:28 AM »
Interesting. Dona always looked, as did nearly every one else during that era, a slight bit robust, but I would not consider her to have been fat; never heard of a diet causing one's hair to permanently go gray either! Maybe Jenny Craig should get in the business of hair coloring! [end quote, begin comment]

Vicky commented on Dona's weight to Queen Victoria -- she reproached Dona for not losing weight after the birth of her first child, and Dona said something to the effect of "why should I bother?", noting that Willy would have her pregnant again very quickly.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 07:57:10 AM by CatherineNY »

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2007, 08:08:01 AM »
Pictures of Viktoria Luise in Hussard uniform :

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 03, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »
Hello everybody!
I´m pretty sure there are tons of pictures of the kaiser´s daughter, and I would be pleased seeing all the pics since she was the maternal granny of our queen...So, be gentle and post it! ;)