Author Topic: Plays performed by the Imperial Family in Tobolsk  (Read 37928 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Plays performed by the Imperial Family in Tobolsk
« on: June 15, 2005, 10:01:44 PM »
Does anybody know for sure which plays the Romanovs performed to amuse themselves in exile?

Robert Massie mentions in NICHOLAS & ALEXANDRA that the IF acted out scenes from various plays during their winter in Siberia, but refers to only one (THE BEAR, by Chekov) by name. I understand that the contemporary play about the Grand Duchesses, entitled OTMA, is centered around the girls rehearsing THE CHERRY ORCHARD. Is that based on fact? Also in N&A, Massie relates an incident when Alexei convinced Botkin to take the role of a country doctor for one of their performances -- Chekov's THE SEAGULL includes the part of a doctor, but Massie doesn't refer to the play by name, and I'd imagine there could be any number of Russian plays which include a doctor as a character... Anybody got specifics??
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Plays performed by the Imperial Family
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 11:27:33 PM »
"The Bear," "Packing Up," "The Crystal Gazer"--those are ones I'm sure they did. :)  In the Nicholas & Alexandra exhibition book from 1998 there are pictures of two of the programs on pg596.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 10:38:25 AM »
Lanie, you're fantastic! You either know the books on my shelf better than I do, or you're devoting a whole lot of time to my trifling details  :-*

I read THE BEAR last night -- great fun to imagine our imperial friends in those roles. Now, I'm going to see if I can track down scripts for THE CRYSTAL GAZER and PACKING UP. If anyone wants to give me a hand in deciphering the empress's handwriting, I'd be most grateful -- these will be much easier to locate if I can figure out the autor's names.

Packing Up:

Crystal Gazer:
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:41:20 PM »
You know, The Cherry Orchard seems like a play they might have put on. Now, in the play they voted some characters out of the play because "all he did was sit around and make speeches to bookcases anyway". Was that true? Would they have voted characters out of plays?

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 04:23:37 AM »
 ;D That's really funny, if it's true!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 08:25:37 AM »
Thanks to Greg King's book, The Last Empress, I'm a teensy bit closer to tracking down more info. The author of Packing Up is Henry Grattan -- so it's off to Google I go...

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:04:20 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a transcript of The Bear? I really want to read it!
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 04:47:25 PM »
Try your local library -- they're likely to have a compilation of Chekhov's plays. I read it in "The Plays of Anton Chekhov," translated by Paul Schmidt. "The Bear" is just a little one-act comedy, so I think you're far more likely to find it as part of a collection than alone.

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 09:43:37 AM »
Okay, Thanks! I'm off to the library! ;D
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 09:48:17 PM »
;D That's really funny, if it's true!

I can imagine them having something of a democracy amonst themselves actually (to answer my own question).

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 12:16:51 AM »
As far as I understand, they started the tradition of family play not in the Siberia.
Children began to play  from about 1904 year.
In 1904 year they played some verses ( basnya) of Krylov called "Strekoza i Muravey".

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 06:24:48 PM »
I heard that they were performing young as well, didn't they perform some plays on the yacht?

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »
They probably did plays on the Standart, I remember them saying in a letter that they sometimes got bored on the Standart.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 01:59:03 PM »
Imagine getting bored on a yacht! (What I wouldn't give...)

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 04:13:54 PM »
LOL

I know!
However once I went on a cruise and for a whole day we had to stay on the ship -- it didn't dock at all-- and my brother and I did get rather bored, because the ship was so crowded we couldn't do very much!