Author Topic: Kaiser Friedrich III, his spouse Victoria and their family, Part I  (Read 242495 times)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiser Friedrich III, his spouse Victoria and their family, Part I
« Reply #360 on: November 28, 2007, 06:47:13 PM »
One of the previous posters noted  problems Fritz had with the aristocracy...government...Could someone please elaborate on these problems?

Thanks,

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 28, 2007, 08:52:33 PM »
I think as a liberal Fritz has enemies in the Junker class headed by Bismark... :(

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 29, 2007, 04:12:37 PM »
                                                      The 1860's were a trying time for royal ladies - copious fertility and the sort of beswagged dresses that most people would quail from hanging over the window did for many of them (it also saw the end of Alexandra PoW's decent hairdos too). Vicky was a firm believer in horseback riding Isidesaddle of course *shock*) as  a way of regaining one's pre-natal figure. Didn't work really...though given the extremely limited options for exercise available to a Prussian Princess - who was nethertheless expected to develop legs of steel to stand through the interminable Berlin court functions - she was ahead of her contemporaries on the need for exercise there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:16:58 AM by Svetabel »
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 29, 2007, 05:09:29 PM »
yes, I agree and have read that Vicky was eager to maintain some semblance of exercise and she tried to instil this in her children. However, I have not read nor can I find anything that speaks to her opinion about smoking. Most men of the court were heavy smokers, particularly cigars, as was unser Fritz. did his smoking annoy her? did she ever join in?
HerrKaiser

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 29, 2007, 05:19:16 PM »
Oh, I daresay Vicky wrote pages of passionately well-argued reasons not to smoke to each and every one of them. And got nowhere. I can just see her visiting sisters (and certain nieces) lookin forlornly about the Taunus for midges and mosquitos to give them their contemporary reason for absolutely having to spark up despite the diminutive disapproval sent their way. I cannot see Vicky criticising her Friedrich for smoking publicy though she probably gave him some well-reasoned talkings-to when she got him to herself! I would say, then, that Vicky would no sooner have smoked than she would have worn lipstick...
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 29, 2007, 06:53:38 PM »
Oh, I daresay Vicky wrote pages of passionately well-argued reasons not to smoke to each and every one of them. And got nowhere. I can just see her visiting sisters (and certain nieces) lookin forlornly about the Taunus for midges and mosquitos to give them their contemporary reason for absolutely having to spark up despite the diminutive disapproval sent their way. I cannot see Vicky criticising her Friedrich for smoking publicy though she probably gave him some well-reasoned talkings-to when she got him to herself! I would say, then, that Vicky would no sooner have smoked than she would have worn lipstick...

Was Vicky known to have any "smoking rooms" in Friedrichshof as her mother did in her own homes?  Since every one of her siblings (save perhaps Alice) smoked, and most of their spouses to boot, I can see how a smoking ban in her home may have been a problem. 

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 29, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
I don't think Vicky had makeup on, although it was well known that her mother-in-law was "well preserved". Also QV did not approved of makeup and use this against her counter-part in Denmark (Alix's mother).  :D

Offline XJaseyRaeX

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 28, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »
I found a new pose from a sitting that had little Sigismund in it! well more like the whole photograph

I am.

Offline CharlotteSometimes

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2008, 04:25:24 PM »
Agree with posters who said Vicky didn't smoke, and I don't think Alice did either.  But I have a question.  Were the Ponsonby letters published?  I just ordered a book today, "Dearest Child" that contains correspondence from QV to Vicky from <1858-1861>.  I would like to see what QV had to say to a more mature Vicky.  I apologize if this has been addressed, but  could not find anything through the search engine.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »
Yes, the Ponsonby letters were published as Letters of the Empress Frederick. You can buy a used copy on Amazon for about $12-13 right now.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline CharlotteSometimes

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »
Thanks!  I will buy one on Saturday (first of the month!) :-[  So many books, so little money!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #371 on: February 28, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »
I think there are 6 altogether--3 with Sigismund sitting on Vicky's lap (2 where William's hand is in his pocket) and 3 with him in his father's arms.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:31:29 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline XJaseyRaeX

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 28, 2008, 08:57:26 PM »
i have only seen three perhaps four including this one..because it looks different from the other three i had previously seen...

I am.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #373 on: February 29, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »
I've seen the six--one of which has Fritz in profile holding Sigismund--and there are individual sittings of some, if not all, of the family. I'm just not sure if there are more than 6 group.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #374 on: April 21, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
Vicky