Author Topic: Terrorist attacks in London  (Read 23728 times)

bluetoria

Re: Terrorist attacks in London
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2005, 04:37:21 AM »
Nerdycool, I love your waving Union Jack! Thank you!

I share tsaria's appreciation of these wonderful messages of support. This is not violence directed at governments or separate countries. It is, imo, an attack by very few people on the rest of humanity, indiscriminately killing anyone of whatever colour, faith or nationality. Since most people in the world are 'good' and do care about one another, it seems to me that the only way to combat the violence, is for people of all countries & creeds to stand together and show that nothing can destroy our faith in each other (as, indeed, happens on this wonderful forum!). If we cannot trust our neighbours then violence has won. I hope that we manage to put aside all suspicions and go on trusting those who sit beside us on buses or trains or pass us in the street. Most people do not mean us harm; surely we must go on believing that.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2005, 06:00:24 AM »
We are in the midst of on-going incidents in London at midday Friday.  As I write, armed police have surrounded the East London Mosque.   They have just entered with sniffer dogs.   Two suspect packages have been reported inside.

Across the city at Stockwell, a man jumped the ticket barrier and ran straight on to a train stopped at the platform.   He was being chased by three plain-clothes police officers, one brandising a black automatic pistol   As the man jumped on to the train, he tripped.   The three policemen fell on him.  The armed policeman fired five shots into him at point blank range.  

This is according to an eye-witness who was standing right beside him.   He said the man was young, Asian and wearing a black padded jacket on a very hot day.  

The latest reports say they think he is one of yesterday's bombers.

Now there is a police helicopter trying to land in the middle of another London street.

What's happening to our country?

tsaria

bluetoria

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2005, 06:04:22 AM »
It's horrific, tsaria. But it will pass...sooner or later it will end.

Did they arrest the man who escaped into UCL Hospital yesterday?  :-/

Offline Donielle

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2005, 08:45:59 AM »
We are in the midst of on-going incidents in London at midday Friday.  As I write, armed police have surrounded the East London Mosque.   They have just entered with sniffer dogs.   Two suspect packages have been reported inside.

Across the city at Stockwell, a man jumped the ticket barrier and ran straight on to a train stopped at the platform.   He was being chased by three plain-clothes police officers, one brandising a black automatic pistol   As the man jumped on to the train, he tripped.   The three policemen fell on him.  The armed policeman fired five shots into him at point blank range.  

This is according to an eye-witness who was standing right beside him.   He said the man was young, Asian and wearing a black padded jacket on a very hot day.  

The latest reports say they think he is one of yesterday's bombers.

Now there is a police helicopter trying to land in the middle of another London street.

What's happening to our country?

tsaria
T ,I just read about this.Did the man have explosives on him or just merely a heavy coat?My prayers for all of us today,the world is in such turmoil.-D

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2005, 08:53:54 AM »
The chap they shot at Stockwell Station apparently was wearing a 'bomb belt' - I don't blame them for shooting him then and there. How awful for everyone in London... everyone in Britain as well, to a lesser degree. :'(

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2005, 08:55:24 AM »
I think the concern was he may have been wearing a bomb belt.
This is getting quite close to home, as Stockwell is my London home Tube station. Oval is the alternate. Luton is the country home rail station. Fortunately all are safe and well accounted for. I may be going back sooner than planned it seems.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Ssyentz

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2005, 09:47:21 AM »
To those in beautiful Britain:  

Please stay SAFE!  If you have to be out & about, stay alert and careful.

All of us across the pond keep you in our constant thoughts and prayers.

Let us know you're okay or if we can help you in any way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ssyentz »

Val289

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2005, 09:47:36 AM »
Just a note to say that my thoughts and prayers are with everybody in London, and even Great Britian.  I know these last few weeks must have been terrifying for you all.   We all stand by you!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Val289 »

Offline Donielle

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2005, 10:08:33 AM »
I think the concern was he may have been wearing a bomb belt.
This is getting quite close to home, as Stockwell is my London home Tube station. Oval is the alternate. Luton is the country home rail station. Fortunately all are safe and well accounted for. I may be going back sooner than planned it seems.
Robert,Please use your intuition .My prayers are with you for a safe return.-D

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2005, 11:16:23 AM »
Robert - If I were you, I would think twice.

tsaria

Offline Ssyentz

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2005, 12:29:20 PM »
Yes, scary....Just saw an interview on CNN with Boy Scouts from Kansas visiting D.C. for the first time.   They said the guards with the rifles at transit stations, etc., made them feel safer.

What have those misled people done to us all?  How can the sight of a rifle make us feel safe?  Please God, don't let us become used to that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ssyentz »

Offline trixiebelle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2005, 12:48:54 PM »
Yes, scary....Just saw an interview on CNN with Boy Scouts from Kansas visiting D.C. for the first time.   They said the guards with the rifles at transit stations, etc., made them feel safer.

What have those mislead people done to us all?  How can the sight of a rifle make us feel safe?  Please God, don't let us become used to that.

I don't know if I'll ever get used to seeing the D.C. metro (our transit system) having guards with automatic machine guns and dogs.  One expects it at the Pentagon, but I took the metro today  and got off at the White House stop - it looked like an armed camp.  It's terrible, just terrible.  :'(  Unfortunately, our country isn't used to such sights, but we must get used to it now.  

Great Britain has stood with us, now we will stand with Great Britain.  God Bless all in Great Britain.  

Robert, be safe and tend to your loved ones.  Keep us informed.  You are in my prayers.  :)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2005, 01:30:46 PM »
British 'Bobbies' do NOT carry guns.

Now we are having this imposed on us through no fault of our own.   I loathe guns.   They make me chill.

tsaria

Offline Donielle

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2005, 01:33:48 PM »
Really, I wonder about myself,when I heard they pumped the guy with 5 bullets at point blank range,I laughed.Desensitized,in revenge mode,who knows,but it is certainly NOT normal.The scary thing is there are lots of folks out there ,who may react to this in ways ,other than laughter. :(

bluetoria

« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2005, 01:36:46 PM »
Guns don't make me feel safe; they make me feel sad. But I suspect the 5 bullets fired into the man were not so much in anger or revenge as in fear that he may have had his finger on something that could start another explosion.  :(