Author Topic: Where to find Rasputin's teachings?  (Read 25259 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Where to find Rasputin's teachings?
« on: July 10, 2005, 03:51:44 PM »
Where can I find some authentic examples of Rasputin's teachings (in English)? I want to get a feel for his 'voice' & the way he expressed himself.

Thanks,
Sarah
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Grigorevna

• "As long as a man lives, he sins"
    • View Profile
Re: Where to find Rasputin's teachings?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 12:47:26 PM »
I think you'll find that extremely difficult to find. His exact words are very rare, I doubt that they even exist anywhere. He's speaches, at dinners for example, were spontaneous and not written down at all.

I know that a couple of interviews with him were written and published in the "yellow press" - but I would be very suspicious of those texts if I ever came across them.

So just as there is no film to show his bodylanguage, I think that Gregory Yefimovich's direct words won't be found. Regretfully.

//Grigorevna

Finelly

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 10:06:40 PM »
I know he could read, but he couldn't write himself.  He used a secretary to dictate letters and such, I believe.

There's just not much out there.  He was a believer in a rather secretive sect within Russian orthodoxy that taught that committing sin was the way to become pure and forgiven.  

Offline Azarias

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 03:40:20 PM »
I know he could read, but he couldn't write himself.  He used a secretary to dictate letters and such, I believe.

There's just not much out there.  He was a believer in a rather secretive sect within Russian orthodoxy that taught that committing sin was the way to become pure and forgiven.  

Rasputin was not a monk of the church nor is there a sect that advocates sin.

The confusion comes from the notion of the starets as a holy man (or woman) who is capeable of spiritual guidance. These people may be in the religious orders or not. Their capabilities are usually demonstrated by spiritual or psychic gifts.

Rasputin was said to be one such type of person. Of course no one ever declares himself as such but begins to be spoken of as such by others. Rasputin may have had "certain" abilities and even the eyes and ears of the Imperial Family, especially Alexandra. It would also seem that he was a charlatan.

Offline Grishka

• Drink to the last drop, only lose not your head.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 08:10:45 AM »
Rasputin could write. It took him a long time and he wasn't terribly good at it, but he did write.

The sect that he supposedly belonged to did not advocate sin and neither did Rasputin, but I think he believed that most things the church preached against as sin was not sin at all.

I don't believe he was a charaltan, although he did take advantage of the abilities he had as a healer.

It's time we don't believe his enemies about the facts of history, for example taking his murderer's word as truth, or even his daughter's word as truth. He has been much aligned and I do not believe he was a cunning villain working to destroy the Romanovs and Russia. He was a bit of an opportunist, of course, but he never purposefully hurt anyone, never killed anyone, gave his money away to the poor and healed people who came to him.

As far as finding anything written by him, I think it will be very difficult because he did have his letters dictated unless he had something very important he wanted to say and those were in personal letters.

Offline Richard_Cullen

• Graf
  • Sad memory brings the light. Thomas Moore 1815
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 06:42:59 AM »
Hi

I don't think you will find his teachings anywhere, I am not sure there were any and those few items that do exist are believed to have been written by others.  He was as close to illiterate as you can get.

I don't think he was EVIL in the normal use of the word.  He was manipulative, I can't pretend to like him, he was a chnacer and he made a satisfactory living out of what he did.

I don't think he had any healing powers and I am afraid he took advantage of a very weak and spiritual wife of the Tsar.

Richard
I feel like one
Who treads alone
Some banquet-hall deserted,
Whose lights are fled,
Whose garlands dead,
And all, but he, departed!
Refrain:
Thus, in the stilly night,
Ere slumber’s chain hath bound me,
Sad mem’ry brings the light
Of other days around me.

Thomas Moore 1815

Offline Grishka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 07:32:48 AM »
I'm not convinced his healing powers were mystical, but from most accounts I've read he had the ability to heal, or at least assist the person to heal. Belief is a strong thing. I certainly don't think he was a saint, at least not by most standards, and I'm sure he was an opportunist. What a man he must have been, for being a nearly illiterate peasant and obtaining such power.

Didn't he publish his teachings and didn't I read somewhere that he kept a diary?
I will have to look into it.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:16:57 AM »
Some of his teachings and/or accounts of his pilgrimages were published -- though they were dictated. Some sources will tell you that converting Rasputin's speech to the written word was akin to translation; he apparently had a very unconventional style all his own!  ;)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 04:04:40 PM »
Sarushka, I will search on the russian web. In fact, I read some of them adressed to the Imperial family. I will find it!
An other idea: there are unfortunetly at the moment some Rasputin's fans in the Russian Church, they even want his canonization, which is totally impossible. And they are writting books about him. I did not read it, but I think you could find something in such authors as Tatiana Groyan or Oleg Platonov. You can make a surch in the russian web with those names.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 04:12:26 PM »
Sarushka and all of you! You will find plenty of Rasputin's "teachings" in the book of Oleg Platonov [/i]Jizn' za Tsaria, Pravda o GR.[/i]
I give you a link, the book is available on the russian internet:
http://www.rus-sky.org/history/library/plat-r.htm
I hope it will work.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by matushka »

Offline Grishka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 07:55:28 AM »
Great link! Thanks very much. Now all I have to do is find a translator.

:)

Offline Grigorevna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 03:08:37 PM »
Hi!
The fact is, I have Platonovs book in my bookshelf, I bought it in Russia about ten years ago. What kind of record does this writer have? Who is he? Historian, no?

//Grigorevna

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 04:37:35 PM »
If my memory is good, Platonov is not a professional historian. I know he had access to very rare and secrets archives as he, once more if my memory is good, worked for the KGB. He published an edition of the correspondance of Nicolas II with his wife, a book about Francmassons in Russia and their action, plenty of articles.
I do not like him for being one of the most active Rasputin's fanatic in Russia and in the Church, I would say a Rasputin's apostol...

Offline Grishka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 08:08:26 AM »
 :-/It's very unfortunate that someone who is such a raving Anti-Semite is working for Rasputin's cause because Rasputin was not an Anti-Semite at all. As Oscar Wilde said....Please, God, save me from my followers.

Offline Grigorevna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 03:33:21 PM »
Yuck, anti-semite, that is terrible.  >:( My Russian has never been splendid, but from the little I managed to figure out from the book, he seemed to have quite strange views... Acutally I stopped reading because I didn't like his way of putting things. And I was right...!!

//Grigorevna