Author Topic: Prince Henry (Heinrich) of Prussia, his family and descendants  (Read 263744 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Prince Henry (Heinrich) of Prussia, his family and descendants
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2006, 04:03:56 PM »
Great photos frimousse! I love seeing photos of Henry & Irene post-revolution. Are they from a Russian book?
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

frimousse

« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2006, 04:40:29 PM »
Thank you Grandduchessella!
Yes they are from a very interesting book published in the twenties (in Russian) in Emigration by Serge Markoff, a young officer from one of the Tzarina Alexandra Feodorovna regiments, himsef a friend of Lili Dehn and Anna Wyroubova, who wanted to save the Imperial Family from the Bolsheviks with a group of White officers.
He was in link with Irene and Henry of Prussia who supported him after his escape from Soviet Russia.
Henry and Irene were deeply affected by the fate of their sister and sister-in-law and her family.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frimousse »

Sissi

« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2006, 09:57:40 AM »
Some pictures of Irene:

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2006, 03:58:34 AM »
Irene was attractive. I love the last one, thank you Sissi.  :)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »

The duchess showed us Prince Henry's invention - he was the first person to patent windscreen wipers. Henry's version wasn't like windscreen wipers today, it was more one blade moving horizontally over the screen. Still it was a start, and must have saved the lives of many pedestrians.

Really?  That's so cool!  Wasn't Henry considered by his family to be the "stupid one?"  Ha!

As for the inheritance, well, if we're going by what Alfred said, he's hardly an unbiased source!  Trust me, having seen this kind of thing in my own family, there are two sides to every story.  Also, if Barbara was the one who came and helped her grandmother out while the others refused to do so, why shouldn't she be left something?  We don't know the whole side.

And no one is always "nice" or "peaceful".  Even Ella and Alicky had their faults.  I don't think it's fair to judge Irene by those two incidents (which were reported by very biased sources).  And going to see if Anna Anderson was legit-why shouldn't she?  Wasn't she one of Anastasia's godmothers?  

Besides, from what I gather, she and Henry were very kind and supportive of Vicky after she was widowed and Willy left her in the cold.  THAT endears the two of them to me.  That could have been why she was so harsh with her own family-perhaps she saw them treating her as Willy did to her mother-in-law.
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2006, 08:25:25 AM »

Besides, from what I gather, she and Henry were very kind and supportive of Vicky after she was widowed and Willy left her in the cold.  THAT endears the two of them to me.  

So true Irene was very nice to Vicky.  It says it all that they were referred to as the "Very Amiables" in my opinion. :) ;)

FREE PALESTINE.

Sissi

« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2006, 01:59:10 PM »
Hey, does any correspondence survive between Irene and her Favourite sister Alix?? Especially during Alixs imprisonment? Would be interesting to read! Thank you :)

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #233 on: July 28, 2006, 05:22:49 PM »
Unformtunately, Irene destroyed all her correspondence in 1918. 
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 28, 2006, 05:31:58 PM »
I have seen about 30 postcards from Irène to Alix at GARF, Moscow, but no real letters seem to have been preserved.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"
"Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine - Gebhard Zernin's Festschrift"

Robert_Hall

« Reply #235 on: July 28, 2006, 05:35:02 PM »
It would have been extremely compromising to Alexandra to be in direct contact with her German relatives. She was already percieved as a German sympathiser. Even though we all know she was not. Which is why, no doubt, she destoyed her coresspondence as well.

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2006, 08:29:27 PM »
Too private for others to see...Queen Alexandra did the same to her correspondence.

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2006, 02:13:58 AM »
It would have been extremely compromising to Alexandra to be in direct contact with her German relatives. She was already percieved as a German sympathiser. Even though we all know she was not. Which is why, no doubt, she destoyed her coresspondence as well.
Yes,  Alix burnt many letters. Based on Lili Dehn's description, she must have destroyed hundreds and hundreds of letters.  :'(  The "seem to have been preserved" phrase in my earlier post was just to express that I'm not a 100% sure that I have really seen everything they have from Irène. But even if I overlooked one or two letters, it was nice reading these postcards and seeing what kind of cards Irène had sent. :)
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"
"Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine - Gebhard Zernin's Festschrift"

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 29, 2006, 03:05:49 AM »
Thank you Helen and everyone for the interesting information, such a shame to think they were destroyed. Ive read VMH thoughts on the IF murder, would have been so interesting to have known Irenes also.

It makes me realise how marvellous Vicky was to have the foresight to send her correspondence to England. Though I still find it incredible that during the Second World War some of her papers where still in the castle and in "considerable disarray"  :o

Thank you :)

FREE PALESTINE.

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2006, 09:35:40 AM »
Well...It is different. Vicky's want her story to be told and her name vindicated after the lies of Bismark. She had more of history in mind than Alix and Irene did.  :P