Author Topic: Russian Ark  (Read 94879 times)

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Russian Ark
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2004, 12:21:46 PM »
It is advisable, before starting a thread, to check those already existing. See an earlier thread on the Russian Ark.

Rhon

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2004, 01:22:02 PM »
Sorry...I did a search for "Russian Ark", but nothing appeared. I guess the time period searched was too short. It was very interesting to see the photos and read the posts on the previous thread and I'm glad that I ordered it.

Rhon

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2004, 01:48:10 PM »

Dandywell

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2004, 08:44:33 PM »
What a great film! It was a remarkable technical prowess to make: it’s a one-take movie, shot in real time, without any interruptions and no second takes. Can you imagine directing thousands of actors and moving at the same time through the Winter Palace and Hermitage without stopping for 90 minutes??!! Quite a feat!

Are you sure? I've seen an X-Files done like Russian Ark (No breaks), and the key was, so say the directors, to stop when someone was going through a door or they were turning a corner (a place it wouldn't be so hard to stop and restart at) Of course you probably know more than I do about the movie.
I saw it the other day, and will probably watch it again. Since I don't know a lot about Russian history, and it was dream-like, it was kind of confusing, but altogether beautiful. That old guy was a bit creepy, though.  ;)

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2005, 01:14:58 AM »
I have been trying to rent this movie forever!!!!! >:( :'(
Everytime I go to the movie rental place around the corner its always out!
I want to see it and basically see what the fuss is about. There wouldn't be all these great comments unless it was worth seeing right?

helenazar

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2005, 11:43:11 AM »
Alix with red hair? Half the people I mention this to say that she was a blond and all the photos I have seen (I'm NOT a photo fan ) really all look a great deal more brown!

I thought that Alix had reddish brown hair...

helenazar

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2005, 11:46:03 AM »

I saw it the other day, and will probably watch it again. Since I don't know a lot about Russian history, and it was dream-like, it was kind of confusing, but altogether beautiful. That old guy was a bit creepy, though.  ;)

Even if you know Russian history this film is confusing, but it is meant to be so because it is supposed to be like a dream.

The last scene kind of explains a lot about the title and the point of the film a little... but many people I talked to who saw it still didn't make the connection between that and the title. Do you guys know what I am talking about?

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2005, 07:03:10 PM »
Ok....can someone help clear this for me...I have read constantly of people referring to ‘the girls running through the halls’ as OTMA, but I am fairly certain they weren’t, because they showed OTM sitting at the table with N&A&A ??? I believe from memory Anastasia was with the group girls, but it was only her.  Who are these girls supposed to be? If no one in particular, what do you think the scene was supposed to represent?

James
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

helenazar

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2005, 07:06:14 PM »
I have read constantly of people referring to ‘the girls running through the halls’ as OTMA, but I am fairly certain they weren’t, because they showed OTM sitting at the table with N&A&A ??? I believe from memory Anastasia was with the group girls, but it was only her.  Who are these girls supposed to be? If no one in particular, what do you think the scene was supposed to represent?

James
James, there is a very brief scene where the four girls (Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia) are running in the hallway. It's only about five or six seconds long so very easy to miss. I am not sure it's supposed to represent anything, just the four girls running in the hall  :).

helenazar

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2005, 07:11:14 PM »
I just found this list of trivia for this film. I am a little confused by what #6 means. Anyone has any idea? How could it be the same room if N II was shot in Yekaterinberg and not in the Winter Palace? Or do you think they mean that it was a recreation of the basement in Ipatiev's house? Doesn't make sense.

Trivia for
Russian Ark (2002)

1. Shot in a single take. The first three attempts were cut short by technical difficulties, but the fourth was successful.

2. The first uncompressed high definition film.

3. Because the Hermitage museum had to be shut down, the production had only one day to shoot the film.

4. Among the many problems that plagued the one-day-only production, there was a considerable language barrier. Director Aleksandr Sokurov speaks only Russian, and cinematographer Tilman Büttner speaks only German, so a translator followed the duo around (along with 'Büttner' 's seven-man crew) to keep the communication open.

5. The film's final, hypnotic dance sequence was a recreation of a 1913 gathering which marked the final ball ever held in Csarist Russia. It should be noted that the sequence was filmed in the exact same ballroom that was used in 1913, and that the room had not been used for dancing since that pre-Revolutionary time.

6. The breakfast room where Csar Nicholas II has tea with his family is the exact room where Nicholas was later arrested (and murdered) by the Bolsheviks during the Russian Revolution in 1917.

7. The snowy courtyard that Catherine II walked through in the movie was covered and full of tropical plants and animals from around the world when Catherine II lived there. This second floor courtyard is now filled with staues and lilac bushes.

Robert_Hall

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2005, 07:41:44 PM »
Hi Helen
no.6 does not make any sense. N. was not arrested in the Winter Palace nor was he arrested by the Bolsheviks [although they did later murder him he was arrested by the Provisional government, was he not ?].  Who came up with this list?

helenazar

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2005, 08:14:06 PM »
Hi Helen
no.6 does not make any sense. N. was not arrested in the Winter Palace nor was he arrested by the Bolsheviks [although they did later murder him he was arrested by the Provisional government, was he not ?].  Who came up with this list?

Robert, I got it from this website:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318034/trivia

Dandywell

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2005, 10:25:22 PM »
James, there is a very brief scene where the four girls (Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia) are running in the hallway. It's only about five or six seconds long so very easy to miss. I am not sure it's supposed to represent anything, just the four girls running in the hall  :).

I think he saw the scene, but doesn't think the girls were all GD's. I agree. One was Anastasia, and the rest were friends, I guess. Remember, everyone else was already eating, and Anastasia had to be excused for being late.

helenazar

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2005, 10:52:07 PM »
Maybe that's so. I only saw the film once and I don't remember exactly. I guess we all just assumed that they were the GDuchesses who finished eating and ran out into the hallway or something like that...

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2005, 05:52:53 PM »
Looking at the list, I'm very confused.  THe ballroom clothing does totally not look like 1913--looks more like the 1700s to me, Catherine the Great's time, not Nicholas II's!  And of course the comment about arrested in the breakfast room...what the heck?