Author Topic: Romanovs at Play--Entertainments and Hobbies  (Read 80020 times)

Rijio

Re: Romanovs at Play--Entertainments and Hobbies
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2005, 05:24:27 AM »
yep thanks a lot :)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2005, 11:05:23 AM »
Yuck, soggy, wet wool - I can smell it from here.   All the worse if it is salt water.

Queen Victoria had bathing machines at Osbourne.   bluetoria posted an excellent photograph of one.

I would be surprised if Alix did not make use these.   The family loved to splash around the Solent.

Swimming would have been so good for the Empress' back and leg problems.

tsaria
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by tsaria »

elfwine

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2005, 01:34:17 PM »
How did people 'work out' in those days? They simply had much more physically demanding lifestyles. We are soft these days, driving everywhere, and sitting down all day in offices, followed by sitting down all evening in front of the telly, eating overly processed sugary food.

People rather had an opposite view of these things than we do ...
  To not have to physically work was considered to be desirable and superior - ( I don't have to lift a finger... I am rich and have servants) while today it's just the opposite (I don't have to eat at MDonalds - I have a private trainer/a plastic surgeon and a dietician- I am rich!)

Of course Nicholas enjoyed sport and physical activity- while Alix was more a creature of her generation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by elfwine »

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2005, 04:15:58 PM »
What Elfwine says is true. I had in mind the average Joe Blow than the upper class though when I talked about more physically demanding lifestyles of those days.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2005, 05:30:02 PM »
Yuck, soggy, wet wool - I can smell it from here.   All the worse if it is salt water.

Queen Victoria had bathing machines at Osbourne.   bluetoria posted an excellent photograph of one.

I would be surprised if Alix did not make use these.   The family loved to splash around the Solent.

Swimming would have been so good for the Empress' back and leg problems.

tsaria

Yes quite so.  I think that bathing costumes may originally have been made of wool serge, which really is not the best for swimming costumes.

Am I right in thinking that later on wool jersey was used - perhaps marginally better for these costumes?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2005, 05:56:34 PM »
Perish the thought.   The bottoms must have ended up somewhere south of the knees.

tsaria

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2005, 07:33:20 PM »
I was always been interested in Colorito, for I don't know how this play was played. At least, I could know how it looks!

RealAnastasia.

Offline Marialana

• Boyar
  • Good Grief!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2005, 08:22:50 PM »
I'm curious about Colorito myself...I'm a pretty avid game player, so I'm sure one of these days I'll look into it...
One game I have gotten a hold of and figured out how to play is Bezique. I read the "Bezique Diary" on the AP main page and was intrigued, so I gave it a try. As it turns out, I love it! To me, it's a mix of war, rummy, and 45's with a pretty intricate set of rules and scoring system. It does take awhile to play, but it's worth it as it gives you time to talk to your opponent and relax. I can definitely see why the family enjoyed it so much, as I've become a little addicted to it myself!

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2005, 07:35:10 AM »
Or ended up like old felt!

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Arleen_Ristau

« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2005, 07:03:22 PM »
No wonder the Tsar and all the guys swam naked, who would ever put one of those swimsuits on unless they were forced to!

Somewhere in one of the albums there is a picture of the Tsar in the full Monty, so nudity didn't mean as much to them (despite Victorian mores) as it seems to mean to us.  This fact was brought out in the forum over a year ago by one of our "higher ups".

Good thing we have so many kids on the forum or the picture would have presented itsself by now....

..Arleen

Arleen_Ristau

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2005, 08:09:09 PM »
Marialana, you certainly impress me!!  I too read the things on the AP about Bezique....followed right along.  But I can't play it for anything.
You are smart girl!

..Arleen

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2005, 12:03:56 PM »
No wonder the Tsar and all the guys swam naked, who would ever put one of those swimsuits on unless they were forced to!

Somewhere in one of the albums there is a picture of the Tsar in the full Monty, so nudity didn't mean as much to them (despite Victorian mores) as it seems to mean to us.  This fact was brought out in the forum over a year ago by one of our "higher ups".

Good thing we have so many kids on the forum or the picture would have presented itsself by now....

..Arleen

Perhaps for private circulation!  ;)

I have to agree with you Arleen that those costumes must have been very inhibiting.....Not all that keen on modern swimming costumes and don't find them comfortable....

As you rightly say, their ideas about bathing in the nude are different to ours......perhaps more enlightened?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Martyn »

Arleen_Ristau

« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2005, 06:50:20 PM »
Martyn, I'm open for pm's.....

..A

hikaru

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »
They also played russian loto.
At the holes without  numbers there were  portraits of all russian rulers since Ryurik.
We all like to play russian loto ( almost in the childhood at the dacha or during the long  winter's evenings).

Offline Marialana

• Boyar
  • Good Grief!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2005, 06:14:38 PM »
Marialana, you certainly impress me!!  I too read the things on the AP about Bezique....followed right along.  But I can't play it for anything.
You are smart girl!

..Arleen

I don't know about the smart part, lol, just determined to figure the game out! It took me a while to get all the rules straight, but once I got the hang of all the "declarations" you can make, and the point system used, it got to be really fun! My boyfriend and I love card games, and this one is definitely becoming a fast favorite.  :)