Author Topic: Architecture and Interior Design in Europe and Russia  (Read 33282 times)

Tasha_R

Re: Architecture and Interior Design in Europe and Russia
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2005, 08:32:44 PM »
Thank you, Forum Admin, however I don't believe that one can so specifically differentiate in saying that she was influenced by one and not the other, given the fact that Art Nouveau/Jugenstil was an outgrowth of the Arts & Crafts/Aesthetic Movement, to which Eastlake so well contributed along with William Morris and others of the PreRaphaelite Brotherhood.

Yes, one can definitely see the Art Nouveau style so strongly mirrored in the tastes of the Empress.  I'm just saying that I believe the Empress may very well have been influenced by writings Eastlake, and/or perhaps others of his PreRaphaelite brethern, as her tastes appear to reflect this (both with the obvious Jugenstil interiors as well as some of the other dark wood Aesthetic Movement inspired pieces.)

It would make sense that she would be familiar with Eastlake's writings considering how much time she spent with her grandmother, Queen Victoria, after the death of her mother.

Remember that Eastlake and other members of the movement espoused much more than ideas about interior design - it was a reactionary movement against industrialization, an attempt to embrace an earlier, romantically "simpler" time.

The simplicity of the children's bedrooms, some of the interiors I have seen from pictures, and her tendency toward the "folkloric" give me reason to believe that this was more than just "poor taste" - it was a specific taste, for a specific reason.

I look forward to reading more from Bob on it.  Thank you for the pointer.

Sincerest regards,
Tasha

p.s. I will be on holiday for a period of time - but I look forward to reading what's transpired upon my return

Finelly

« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2005, 09:06:26 PM »
The rooms meant for the future Emperor and his family were decorated in accordance with the latest turns in the Historicism style, then characterised by a tendency to intimacy and comfort. The architect responsible for redecorating the rooms for the new royal couple, Krasovsky, replaced vaults by flat ceilings and used fashionable materials such as wall-paper, chintz and leather upholstery, and wooden panels. The library designed in the Gothic style and preserved to this today gives a good idea of the somber appearance of Nicholas II's rooms. The rooms of Alexandra Feodorovna were decorated modestly in the style of Classicism of Louis XVI. The Small Dining Room intended for family dinners and situated next to the official suite of rooms along the Neva has an intimate and refined rocaille design The decor of this room has been preserved without any alterations.

The above is a description of the Winter Palace from the Hermitage Museum website.

Tasha_R

« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2005, 09:25:02 PM »
Thank you, Finelly.

AlexP

« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2005, 11:14:51 AM »

So good to read this, it would be hard to believe that the Empress could have followed the advice given in Hints on Household Taste, no matter how questionable her tastes. Saint Peterburg as a whole had a strong Jugendstil influence that can still be seen in some of the architecture such as Passage and many other buildings.

David

David,

Passage, d'accord...but might you tell us what other building you had in mind?

And sincerely how would you classifiy Elyseef as to style, both the inside and the outside, which appear to me to be of two different styles...

Finally, since were doing a comparative discussion on interior discussion, have you ever seen the flat the Nureyev maintained (and which was maintained for years after his departure in Petersburg by friends)?  I personally would classify the style as definitely late Russian Empire...in a beautiful old late 19th-century building on one of the canals?  But I wonder what you think.

Regards,

A.

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2005, 02:30:42 PM »
Hi everybody :)

Well, speaking about the stuffed parrots and exquisite taste of the Dowager Empress, a friend reminded me of some first hand account that could be of interest. It comes from Louis de Robien´s memoirs, page 188, :

"It is incredible that these people can have lived surrounded by such bric-à-brac, when they could have had the most beautiful things in the world: there were Japanese screens from the bazaars, portraits done from photographs like the ones one sees in concierges¹ lodges, stuffed monkeys under glass domes, and the most hideous furniture.  The horror of the objects transported there is almost unbelievable, and they were part of the surroundings of the Dowager Empress of All the Russias!  In the heap I saw a magnificent Chinese cloisonné enamel, mounted as a jardinière with metalwork from an ironmonger¹s and further on a ravishing 18th Century terracotta statuette with a wonderful patina, mounted on a pedestal made of parrot green plush."

Finelly

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2005, 03:11:09 PM »
Antonio-

The DOWAGER Empress, you say?

Sounds like she inherited the decor preferences of her sister, Alexandra of Wales..............

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2005, 06:55:57 PM »
Entirely a matter of taste.....

Personally mine is for the French styles; Louis Quinze and Seize for me are the epitome of elegance.....

Have you been to the palace in Monaco?  French! French! French! and more French!  I love it.  

Then again if you are worth 1 Billion USD why not?

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

niamh.o.m

« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2005, 11:15:21 AM »
Hi there.
I'm a set design student who is finding it very tricky to find material for a set i'm designing based in Russia 1900. The house in the set would be a country house belonging to a family who run a guest house for the officials who worked on the railway, not too poor but definetly not very rich. I can only find very grand or peasant architecture. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2005, 12:56:53 PM »
Go to the Pavlvosk Palace Website....look under Interior museum and you will find examples of architecture and interior design from the well to do as well as nobility. they have a typical study of varying design, bedrooms, boudoirs, Dining Rooms and even a Maple Room circo 1900 that conatins most fo teh AP Maple Room.
Also pictures of the Governors Mansion and of Ipatiev House would give you some ideas too.

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2005, 12:57:23 PM »
The Governors Mansion that is in Tobolsk where the Romanov's stayed briefly
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:23:55 PM by Alixz »

Alixz

« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2005, 10:53:21 PM »
I have been to some of the "summer cottages" in Newport Rhode Island USA, which were built and furnished about the same time as Alix was redecorating in Russia.

I probably have very poor taste in late 19th century decorating, but I find even the "cottages" overwhelming with their guilded ceilings and over decorated walls.  The furniture looks incrediibly uncomfortable (of couse you can't sit on it now) and the scroll work and carving and leather wall papers are not to my taste at all.

I happen to like Art Deco which came much later.

But I feel what Jackie Kennedy must have felt when she refurbished the White House.  There was so much beauty hidden in the basements and attics that it had to be brought out and used and shown off.  I bet that the palace basements and attics had a lot of fabulously expensive and beautiful things in them.

Things with history made by and given by great historical designers and rulers of other countries.

If I were Alix, I would have wanted to use these things in the public rooms.  That would be where they belonged.  Perhaps she just didn't know the worth of the objects.

james_h

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2006, 03:53:14 PM »
 Neo-Russian revival architecture is by far my favourite architectural style. Here are some examples

The Private Art museum of Petr Ivanovich Shchukin
Great example but I could not find an internet picture.

Igumnov Mansion

http://www.achome.co.uk/artnouveau/index.php?page=architecture&view=details&title=Pozdeyev%2C+Igumnov+mansion%2C+1893&desc=&item=bm02&subpage=moscow

http://www.achome.co.uk/artnouveau/index.php?page=architecture&view=details&title=Igumnov+mansion+entrance+hall&desc=&item=bm03&subpage=moscow

Tretyakov Gallery
http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://worldimages.sjsu.edu/media/Thumbnails/rusm_moscow/rusm6924.jpg&imgrefurl=http://worldimages.sjsu.edu/PRT1020*281%249370*1321580&h=93&w=128&sz=5&tbnid=DeU_WRbsZGxDPM:&tbnh=61&tbnw=85&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dneo-Russian%2Barchitecture%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG
http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/file_download.php/bd0a444b23ecc5dab58d7d0a0cd096f0tretyakov.jpg

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2006, 07:53:38 AM »
The details are wonderful, but the style as a whole is a bit too heavy for my tastes. Are any of the Imperial palaces in Moscow built in this style?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

james_h

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2006, 06:15:26 PM »
In the Kremlin mainly. Yet, perhaps a bit of Alexi Alexandrovich's ecletic palace.

james_h

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2006, 02:42:24 AM »
The Grand Kremlin Palace on the exterior appears to be a pseudo neo russian revivalist effigy.