Author Topic: Biggest questions I want answered  (Read 110608 times)

Offline stepan

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest questions I want answered
« Reply #750 on: August 12, 2005, 04:56:45 PM »

The estimate for a 6-7 hour meeting was originally posted by Denise, and can be found on pae 12 of the Schankowska family thread.

Well, if they left "in the afternoon", 12 to 15 miles would not have been that much to travel even on secondary roads in the 1920s... they would've covered it in about an hour. ... and Felix was asked to sign a paper "later that evening"...that still shows a rather lengthy visit, with FS and Felix chatting and walking around.

So, 1 hour alone together, 2,3,(which seems most likely)  6, or 7 anyway you look at it it's a rather long time for Felix  to be talking to an absolute stranger.
If he didn't recognize her, most likely he would have simply signed something on the spot, which he didn't do.

All this nitpicking about the exact length of time misses the point that the meeting  was a good length of time.  

And we have no way of knowing if the Duke told his staff to hold dinner till he got back.  

12-15  miles? NO!    Peter Kurth writes in his book that  "The meeting took place at an inn in Wasserburg,some few miles northwest of Seeon."  I think the distance isen´t longer than 2-4 miles. I don´t know where the idea of 12-15 miles comes from.  But it´s not correct.  He dosen´t mention how long the meeting took place.  Perhaps Rathleff-Keilmann does in her book.

jeremygaleaz

« Reply #751 on: August 12, 2005, 11:36:16 PM »
12-15  miles? NO!    Peter Kurth writes in his book that  "The meeting took place at an inn in Wasserburg,some few miles northwest of Seeon."  I think the distance isen´t longer than 2-4 miles. I don´t know where the idea of 12-15 miles comes from.  But it´s not correct.  He dosen´t mention how long the meeting took place.  Perhaps Rathleff-Keilmann does in her book.

I think the 12-15 mile estimate came from Penny. So, the meeting may even have been longer!

Good idea about checking the Rathleff-keilmann book. Do you have a copy?

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #752 on: August 13, 2005, 01:21:03 AM »

I think the 12-15 mile estimate came from Penny.

Greg and I drove it in the summer of 2000.  I don't know that the road necessarily followed the same route as in the late 20s, but it's my recollection that it was 12-15 miles.  Could have been ten miles -- but it was certainly about a 1/2 hour drive from Seeon.  Maybe a little longer.

Good idea about checking the Rathleff-keilmann book. Do you have a copy?

I do.  I'll check what it says...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Penny_Wilson »
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #753 on: August 13, 2005, 01:24:18 AM »

An hour? Between two complete strangers? No way.  

At least once a weekend I talk to perfect strangers over the bar -- sometimes for an hour or more.  It's not impossible, especially when -- as in the case of FU and FS -- the two strangers have been left alone together for a specific purpose.

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #754 on: August 13, 2005, 01:28:10 AM »

Penny, how do you know AA returned to Seeon before dinner that same evening?

AGRBear

The source for this is Faith Lavington.

Mgmstl

« Reply #755 on: August 13, 2005, 08:10:50 AM »

We are also not taking into account the fact that the roads from Seeon to Wasserburg may have been secondary roads, unpaved, and travel even in the 1920's was difficult when using these roads, also that cars didn't go as fast, etc.  We need to remember that sometimes the roads used today were not the same ones used then.  

We don't know what time they left Castle Seeon, except for the afternoon which could be anywhere from 1 to 5.
We also don't know at what time they arrived at Wasserburg, when the meeting began, and when FU/AA left the inn.  Did the Duke take her back, and Rathlef and Voller stay behind to get the affadavits taken care of or what?  Still there is no definite time frame of length of time specified for this meeting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Mgmstl »

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #756 on: August 13, 2005, 11:19:24 AM »
Car road in 1920s????

We're talking about the rich and the upper class who had cars not the populace who used roads with wagons, carts, coaches and for foot travel.

We're not talking about cars that traveled 60 milies per hour...

Distances were different then and by the time Kurth wrote his book.  "a few miles" over a secondry [harden gravel] road made for cars after WW II is different because of the way a person thinks in the "time frame".

Being old enough to remember driving a modern [1940s] car / pickup truck over secondary roads isn't always an easy task due to "wash outs", fallen tree's,   "pot holes"....  

Is this area flat, hilly or in the mountains?

If  it was about ten miles  [Penny and Greg have traveled this road] and in an old hard tire 1920s car....   at about twenty to thrity miles per hour ....  Well,  everyone better add on to the time it took.

Headlights were not all the great so they probably headed home before dark.... unless the driver was familar with the area.  Or the  people involved were not worried about the ten miles over which they traveled.....

All kinds of variables about travel if you just stop and think and placed yourself into the time frame.

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

jeremygaleaz

« Reply #757 on: September 10, 2005, 02:18:34 PM »

Just one more thought:  These experts aren't "mine."  They are already on record with their professional opinion of this situation elsewhere.

And as for the relative "usefulness" of linguists and their professional conclusions, I would point anyone interested at the story of the capture of Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper/Wearside Jack.  In 1981, using a tape of the Ripper's voice, linguists were able to pin-point his origin within a very tight geographical area of Castletown in Sunderland -- a matter of a few streets, I believe.  

If this is case, and you feel linquistics is a concrete science...why don't use simply ask one of the linquists you know to trace the origin of AA via her accent? They should be able to do it...shouldn't they?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jeremygaleaz »

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #758 on: September 10, 2005, 03:07:16 PM »

If this is case, and you feel linquistics is a concrete science...why don't use simply ask one of the linquists you know to trace the origin of AA via her accent? They should be able to do it...shouldn't they?

It's actually "linGuistics" and "linGuists."  There's no "q."

And when the time comes for Greg and I to get to grips with this part of the investigation, we certainly will be in contact with the appropriate linguistic experts.  

Thank you for your on-going interest in our research.

Offline Elocin

• Working myself insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 10, 2005, 10:48:15 PM »
As a frequent lurker on this sometimes "negatively" charged discussion I am almost hesitant to jump in on the question of linguistic expertise and if it points to any conclusive ideas on AA's identity, but what the hay here it goes, I have already yelled  at DHL for losing the textbooks I needed for the class i am teaching this weekend what is getting yelled at by fellow passionate devotees of this board?  As a qualifier I am certainly not an expert, reading a linguistics 101 text ages ago doesn't qualify. Or does it? *evil grin*

As someone who frequently works with people of many, many different nationalities and/or cultural origins, I know I can certainly pick up distinct patterns of speech that my clients and students have learned from their English as a Second Language tutors.   I also know that certianly anyone can pick up speech patterns, I have certainly picked up some less than the Queen's own English patterns from some of my East Asian clients that haven't wrapped their tongues around the bastard language of Canadian English.

My point is that if English was AA's second or third or umpteenth language she would have likely picked up speech patterns and cadences that would be indicative of the origin of whatever her teacher's origin may have been.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #760 on: September 11, 2005, 09:51:14 AM »
Welcome Elocin.

Yes, some do get a little passionate about what iis being posted and I, for one, am very glad you've jumped into the middle of it all.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 11, 2005, 10:27:26 AM »
I think with 31 pages of posts, it is time to start a new topic. Please start new ones for any other big questions.

jeremygaleaz

« Reply #762 on: September 13, 2005, 10:00:35 PM »

It's actually "linGuistics" and "linGuists."  There's no "q."

And when the time comes for Greg and I to get to grips with this part of the investigation, we certainly will be in contact with the appropriate linguistic experts.  

Thank you for your on-going interest in our research.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.... ::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jeremygaleaz »

jeremygaleaz

« Reply #763 on: September 13, 2005, 10:02:23 PM »
I think with 31 pages of posts, it is time to start a new topic. Please start new ones for any other big questions.

Sorry Lisa, I didn't notice this.

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #764 on: September 13, 2005, 10:50:51 PM »

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.... ::)

So what's your point in making a post like this?