Author Topic: Queen Mary Pt 3  (Read 135327 times)

Offline etonexile

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Mary Pt 3
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2005, 11:39:42 AM »
Any with pics of May in Italy as a girl....during the embarrassing exile.....?

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2005, 03:57:41 PM »
Any with pics of May in Italy as a girl....during the embarrassing exile.....?

That is a good question; surely there must be some of the sojourn in Florence?

If anyone has any it will be GDElla......
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2005, 06:59:43 PM »
Ah--a challenge.  :)

I haven't found any candids yet but this is one taken during their time in Italy:

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »
I love that image of May with the  balloon - perhaps that is the face that her grandchilden knew and loved.....? :)

with Prince Michael of Kent

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2005, 07:22:22 PM »
the more things change, the more they stay the same

c. 1885

c.1920s

c.1930 going to Ascot

c.1940s Kew Gardens

This doesn't even count the multitude of photos of her with her parasol closed and used when walking.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2005, 08:11:33 PM »
QM's stay at Badminton during WW2 wasn't made mention of much in public and she wasn't seen much. There are some tales of her time in the countryside though:

She would give lifts in her Daimler to American soldiers in the district and would even attend their baseball games. She was 'unbending in a way perhaps that she had never done so in her life before, and was always amused when they were incredulous at her identity'.

Some US soldiers wrote in letters home that she was 'a jolly good sort' after she gave him a lift. Another wrote to his parents in Massachusetts that 'you can't imagine anyone looking so like a real queen but able to laugh at jokes just as if she were one of us. I told her I recognized her because I was a stamp collector, and she asked whether I thought it was a good likeness that used to be on the British stamps.'

There was another US soldier, 22 yr old Pvt Ora Foster from Michigan who was given a lift in 1942 while he had been walking along a road. For 45 minutes he talked about his home, his impressions of England, and his parents with QM without realizing who she was. As they neared the end of the drive, QM asked her drive to hand her a package. Noting the confused look on Pvt Foster's face, she asked 'You don't know who I am, do you? to which Ora replied that 'there you have me beat'. QM told him with a laugh and then handed him the package which contained one of her medallions.

with US soldiers:

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2005, 05:58:28 AM »
I suppose a parasol was an essential article of kit to the Victorian and Edwardian lady......In an era when a pale compexion was prized and freckling to be avoided at all costs as a sign of low class, protection from the Sun was essential.

Mind you, a parasol might have been a useful royal prop as well....?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline etonexile

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2005, 09:45:37 AM »
Isn't that how HM signals she'd like to be moved on from a conversation?....She wiggles the umbrella... ;D

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
    • GonDan's Royalty Family Trees
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2005, 02:09:54 AM »
My dad has this image of her as a distant woman, and he remembers having 3 days of mourning when she died (he was off school for that time, he was 8), the same way as my mom remembers Queen Ena's death and the 3-day proclamation of mourning in Spain although Ena had been in Spain only once after 14 April 1931...

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2005, 09:50:39 AM »
Queen Mary as a poet. She wrote this on the back of a programme of a dramatic promise that was held at Cromwell House in Feb 1888. Ther performance was under the patronage of MA for the aid of St Katharine's Prison Reform Work.

If each

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 09:46:17 PM »
Since the previous thread has hit the magic '20 pages' (plus), it seemed time for a new thread.

I came across this in the New York Times in Dec 1910:

ROYAL CHILD EXPECTED.; Will Be the First Birth in Buckingham Palace in Fifty-four Years.

Now, obviously, there was no child. I wonder what started the rumor though? It was unlikely there was any pregnancy--QM was about 44 then and it'd been several years since Prince John was born.

As it was, it would take another 50+ years for a Queen to give birth (EII and Prince Andrew).

Offline royal_netherlands

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 07:00:32 AM »
Yes thank you gdella for starting a new thread,what a strange article. :-?

Here is one to start

Queen Mary together with her two eldest sons Albert George and Edward in Balmoral in 1905.

RN

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 08:55:23 AM »
NYT June 1914 Re: QM and modern dance

“Queen Mary’s deeply-rooted prejudice against the tango, one-step and other exotic modern dances all went by the board on Thursday night, when she and King George honoured Grand Duke Michael and Countss Torby with their company at dinner at Ken Wood , Hampstead, and at the ball which followed for the GD’s daughters, Countess Nada and Countess Zia Torby.

It was the American dancers, Maurice and Florence Walton, who worked the miracle of the Queen’s conversion to ragtime and tango as done in New York, and for one solid hour after dinner Queen Mary, flanked by King George and Grand Duchess Anastasia, and a brilliant assembly, watched the modern ballroom gymnastics of Francis and his partner with every manifestation of interest and approval, punctuating their sixteen dances with frequent exclamations of appreciation.

Queen Mary smiled at the complicated steps of Maurice’s eccentric ‘buck dance’, and at the end of the programme asked to have the pair to recalled to give an encore of the one-step. Then she had the dancers presented to her and thanked them graciously, saying: ‘Your dances were charming.’

Maurice today gave an interesting account of how he showed Queen Mary ‘how ‘twas done in polite American society’. He said: ‘I had no intention when I went to Ken Wood of doing the tango, the maxixe or one-step. Several of my friends had tipped me off that their Majesties wouldn’t stand for it. I was only going to show them my skating waltz and the hesitation, but along came the Grand Duke Michael, their host, and said to me, ‘Mon cher, M Maurice, do me the pleasure to show your latest creations to their majesties, adding with a laugh, the French equivalent, freely translated, of ‘Go as far as you like.’

‘I knew what he meant by that, but the Queen herself, left no doubt as to her wish in the matter, for she told the Grand Duchess Anastasia that she’d like to see the real Argentine tango as she’d never seen it. I was the happiest man in the world when the Grand Duchess brought the Queen’s request to do the tango, saying she’d be much obliged.

‘We started with a plain waltz, then did the maxixe. The Queen commented, ‘I don’t see why people find anything wrong in these dances. ‘ When we did the skating waltz, the Queen remarked, ‘It seems as if they are on the ice.’ A little later on she remarked: ‘How can they remember all those steps?’ The Queen smiled her pleasure and the King roared with laughter at the at the American buck dance, and especially at the business of beating time with the fingers on collars and cuffs. The Queen applauded all the dances, but what she liked especially was the hesitation waltz and the old minuet to modern steps.

‘Seeing we’d got away so well with all the others, I thought we’d  show ‘em the American one-step, and close the programme with it, but as we were going out Queen Mary asked the Countess Nada to request us to be kind enough to come back and do another one-step, and we did. She found nothing objectionable in any of the modern dances as we did them. She’s so nice, too—absolutely different from all they say, ‘ observed Maurice, with the confidence of one who knows whereof he was talking.

‘As a final encore’, he continued, ‘ we gave them the double one-step. It literally made Queen Mary sit up and take notice. We were both presented afterward to their Majesties by Grand Duke Michael. They thanked us, the Queen adding , ‘Your dances were so charming.’ Also, they expressed wonder that we could have danced at all on such a floor, which was frightfully slippery.’ '

Offline royal_netherlands

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 10:25:41 AM »
What a great story Queen Mary and modern dance never knew she liked it.
Thank you for sharing it with us gdella really great. :)

Maybe its posted before but its still a beaty.

RN
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by royal_netherlands »

Offline Cunarder

• Always in Steerage, But in a Tux
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 11:36:41 AM »

Thank you grandduchessella and Royal Netherlands...I love the pics and this hopefully never-ending thread!

Here's 3 views of HM's expressions from newsreel clips.  The stern glance, the reflective pause, and finally a gracious smile.  

The Queen mounts the steps to the platform of a ship launch, probably for the christening of her namesake liner in Scotland.  A bit self-conscious of the cameras, but she manages a shy smile before resuming the royal expression.