Author Topic: The Kitchen Boy  (Read 29351 times)

Offline brielle14

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
The Kitchen Boy
« on: June 14, 2004, 12:44:08 PM »
This book was a great, quick read. It's a partly fiction story about a boy who worked as the kitchen boy (hence, the title) for the Romanovs in the Impatiev House. My favorite part includes what happened to the bodies of Alexei and the missing grand duchess.  :D

Offline rlgil

• View Profile
Re: The Kitchen Boy
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 01:47:53 PM »
Just read it last week and was pretty disappointed.  I am constitutionally unable to pass up reading a Romanov book, especially if I can get it free -- and that was the case with this one.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I figured out the "surprise" ending not very far into the book, including all the twists and turns.  I think it was a mistake to sell this book as a "mystery" --  is the narrator really the kitchen boy?  was he really there when the family was executed? and so on.  Much better to focus on the last weeks of the IF, and leave it at that.  People fascinated by the Romanovs are going to read the book; most others are going to give it a miss anyway.

I wanted the book to be better.  Alas . . .

randy
rlgil

Offline CuriousOne

• Curiousity is great because it leads to answers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 05:05:41 PM »
While looking for something else, I ran across the web site for the Kitchen Boy:

http://www.thekitchenboy.com/

C1

Offline Dandywell

• Boyar
  • Gospodi Pomilui
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 11:54:17 AM »
I really enjoyed the book, especially the twists and turns at the end. I did guess the ending, though, but not until about twenty pages to the end. :) In fact, the book is what led me to this site. I liked how they used mostly accepted facts about the Romanovs, and letters and diary entries, not just abunch of crap that the public would enjoy (like with the movie). I learned a lot reading it, and couldn't put it down at the same time.
She stepped away from me and she moved through the fair,
And fondly I watched her move here and move there,
Then she went her way homeward with one star awake,
As the swan in the evening moves over the lake.

Offline Bitoelk

• Finding my roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »
I too enjoyed this book but as many others have mentioned prior, the ending was predictable. Overall, I would still say it was a well written piece of historical fiction. A quick read if you have a rainy afternoon and are looking for something to do.  

~Misha~

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 05:40:22 PM »
This is quite possibly my favorite fiction Romanov book besides "My Anastasia" by Sharon Stewart!
I almost felt like I was there, but I almost guessed the ending like other said. That theory really made me beleive that's what happened to Alexei and Maria's bodies.. I still believe Naatsaia is the mssing one though.
It would be awesome if they made a movie for this book!
::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by moonlight_tsarina »
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 05:47:17 PM »
This is quite possibly my favorite fiction Romanov book besides "My Anastasia" by Sharon Stewart!
 Just off the subject for one second... Moonlight_t, I never heard of this book and Amazon does not seem to have it, where did you find it? Thanks.

Helen

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 10:16:51 PM »
This is for reference to other members interested in this book, I made a new topic for it under the Romanov books section. I found this book by typing "Anastasia" into the google image search engine years ago.
I'm soo glad I did!! :o
Check out my site!

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 08:36:22 PM »
I have two questins..why did leonka(or well, *spoiler* the soldier) always refer to the famil and fellow servants with patryonimcs, but they never used his??
INJUSTICE!!! lol, jk! ::) :o ;D
Check out my site!

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 08:37:20 PM »
and #2:
did sister Antonina really try and help the Romanovs, or was she just a Bolshevic pawn without knowing it?
she seemed to truthfully believe she was saving the Romanovs.  ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by moonlight_tsarina »
Check out my site!

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 08:38:36 PM »
And a new one!
In the book they say that the  novice marina was english and american, so why at the end was she liing in russia and she didnt reember english very well?  ???
And what i mean is, as a citizne of another country, why did she stay in the communist russia if she didnt want to?
??? ??? ::) ???
Check out my site!

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 12:26:02 AM »
I am so excited! Today I went to Barnes & Noble and was looking through their Bargain section and "Kitchen Boy" was there! I had wanted to read it but was reluctant to pay the some $24.00 for it, so I gave a little squeal when I saw it for $5.00. I don't know how they rotate their books in that section... whether it's by store or if every store has the same books in the section. So remember, always look in that bargain section!

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 11:09:20 AM »
IT'S ALREADY AT THE BN BARGAIN SECTION??
That's really sad.  :(
It's probably just not selling well.  :-/
Check out my site!

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 02:06:01 PM »
LOL! I love the bargain section! It's the one store that actually has "bargains" in the bargain bin! Never found any Romanov books there, though.
Oh wait! Yes I did, "Michael and Natasha".

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 12:13:12 PM »
Yeah, I would love to find Michael and Natasha there! I saw the paperback version of Alexandra: The Last Tsarina there. I was kind of sad because I really liked that book and it was in the $3 bin!!! It was at Christmas time...I got the hardcover one for XMAS about 3 years ago though.
Check out my site!