Author Topic: a family story...  (Read 2527 times)

Offline mmcbride12

• View Profile
a family story...
« on: August 07, 2005, 11:33:35 PM »
For years, I have heard the same family story.  When I was little I believed every word, in college I doubted every word, and now a single sentence in Anna Karenina has caused me to wonder.

My great-grandfather came from Russia to the United States in the very early 1900s and married another Russian immigrant.  She would always brag about him, though more specifically about his name and his family, and he would always tell her to shush.

She said that his father (or possibly his grandfather) had served in the army and that he had served with such distinction that the czar had changed his name (from Peter to Andre) and given him (according to my great-grandmother) cows, pigs and chickens.

The name Andre is certainly a family name for us (at the very least my great-grandfather and my mother share it) but my great-grandfather would never speak of his family in Russia so all I have is a half-complete story told by my great-grandmother while she was being shushed.  

Tolstoy, though, mentions the Order of St. Andrew and it started me wondering...Andre is the Russian form of Andrew and this order was, in rare circumstance, awarded for military distinction.

Is there any way to find a full list of the Order's recipients?

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
Re: a family story...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 10:10:16 PM »
I thought I saw a list of something like this a while ago here but I forget where. ???

Offline Theres

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: a family story...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »
Is there any way to find a full list of the Order's recipients?

There are 1007 names.