Author Topic: Anastasia's Bangs/Fringe  (Read 23673 times)

Offline noblepupil

• I love NAOTMAA
    • View Profile
Anastasia's Bangs/Fringe
« on: August 10, 2005, 01:04:50 AM »
Can anyone tell me why Anastasia is the only one out of the four girls to have bangs/fringe?
Is it because she is the youngest? :-/

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia's Bangs/Fringe
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:11:43 AM »
Because she had a scar on her forehead.

Offline noblepupil

• I love NAOTMAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 01:12:21 AM »
I didn't know was it deep? how did it happen?

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 05:21:51 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Fatal_Gal »

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:31:44 AM »
Clockworkgirl21>>
I wouldn't have been so harsh if she's hasn't caused troubles with threads in the past. But I have edited my first thread to make everyone happy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Fatal_Gal »

Offline grandduchess_42

• Velikye Knyaz
  • . Emiliya Brianaiovna . Ella of Hesse .
    • View Profile
    • . Romanov Illusion .
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 06:01:51 PM »
yes she had a scare on her head. as we all know that she did climb trees and all. i'm shure that she fell or somthing and she got a scare on her head.

i have a scar on my forehead. i scratched of a chiken pox.
So keep me awake for every moment
Give us more time to be this way
We can't stay like this forever
But I can have you next to me today
. Josh Groban .

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 07:00:27 PM »
yes she had a scare on her head. as we all know that she did climb trees and all. i'm shure that she fell or somthing and she got a scare on her head.

i have a scar on my forehead. i scratched of a chiken pox.

I think it's that while on the Standart she climbed up onto something, refused to climb down, and lost her balance. Hence the scar.  

Offline divine_grace

• Loves  Romanov History
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 01:34:03 PM »
Ortino,

Do you know the title of the book where it says how Anastasia got her scar from. Could you post the whole story. I've read a lot of Romanov books and I think I might have missed one. I like stories about Anastasia and her escapades if I might say so. Thanks.
Isn't learning fun?

Offline Clovely

• View Profile
Anastasia's bangs?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
There has been some topics that I've read that she got bangs to be different from her sisters or that she had a scar of some sort... but what I am wondering is what year she actually got the bangs? If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »
It wasn't to be "different". It was said to have been to conceal a scar she got when she was about 3, I believe. She had fallen and cut her forehead. It's hard to pinpoint the exact date but if you just look at early pictures you can get an estimation. In the 1906 formals she has some noticeable fringe but it's a far cry from the fringe she had in later years.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Katya90

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
I wonder how big the scar was, since I've never been able to notice it in the captivity photos where Anastasia has a shaved head. But maybe that's just due to the quality of older photographs... I've only ever been able to notice the scar on Nicky's forehead in one or two photos.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 06:47:55 AM »
A scar someone got aged about three might well have disappeared by the time she was a teenager. It would depend on the type of scar, how deep it was, etc etc.

I have a scar under my chin which I got at the age of four, but it was quite deep, bled a lot and needed stitches. The stitching apparently wasn't done terribly well, which is possibly why it's still noticeable when I tilt my head back.

Anastasia's scar sounds like it might well have come from a scrape, which is likely to disappear over time (just think of alll the times you grazed your knees!)

Ann

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »
Personally, I think the story of Anastasia's scar is just a myth that grew out of the Anna Anderson case. Photos of the girls as toddlers show Anastasia wearing fringe well before she turned three. These, for example:

In fact, all the girls with the exception of Olga had bangs/fringe as toddlers. You can see it on Tatiana in the 1899 formals; by the 1901 session it had begun to grown out. Maria's fringe is visible in the 1901 session, as well as informal shots from 1900-02 (see above). IMO, the question is not so much why Anastasia had bangs in the first place, but why she retained them.

Here's my best guess:
It's obvious from the 1910 formals that Anastasia's hair had considerably less volume than her sisters'. Perhaps it was deemed easier to trim some of her front hair into a fringe than to tease it up into the fashionable Gibson Girl poof. (I suspect Tatiana had the same problem, and that she used a rat to correct it -- compared to Olga and Maria's, her hair is strikingly droopy in the 1910 formals.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:56:52 AM by Sarushka »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 10:10:29 AM »
Droopy? I don't think Tatiana's hair was very droopy. True, Maria's stood up very high and poufy in 1910, but if anyone's hair looked rather droopy in 1910, I'd say Olga. Her's wasn't in the Gibson Girl pompadour-type hairstyle, (why?) and was in these odd wings instead.
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 09:23:27 AM »
Her hair was noticeably droopy. I have noticed that in the 1910 formals, especially in court dress.

I always thought the little bit of fringe on the other girls was simply 'baby hairs'. I wouldn't say the scar story would be completely out of the picture just she had it from when she was a baby. I know Olga and Maria had some fringe when they were toddlers, but my reasoning was that it was because they were toddlers and their hair was already short. I don't recall ever seeing Tatiana with fringe.

Sarushka, your guess may very well be true. I guess we just won't know exactly why she kept it so long. I'm guessing she either really enjoyed them or didn't want to hassle of growing them out, which can be an awkward process.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.