Author Topic: The Last Tsar, by Larissa Yermilova  (Read 12016 times)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
The Last Tsar, by Larissa Yermilova
« on: June 16, 2004, 03:06:46 PM »
I am debating whether or not this book is worth adding to my literary "wish list." I have read a few reviews about it elsewhere and they have all been good. From what I've read, it seems this book is similar to the recently published The Camera and the Tsars in that it shows many rare photographs of not only the Tsar, but his extended family as well.

This is all good and well, but are the pictures found in Yermilova's book different than those in The Camera and the Tsars (which is a book I definitely want to get) and different from those in Love, Power, & Tragedy, Kurth's Tsar, and Prince Michael's Family Albums (all of which I already own)? Basically I want to know if this book presents fairly original pictures with little duplication from what is found in other Romanov picture books.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
Re: The Last Tsar by Larissa Yermilova
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 09:37:44 PM »
Hi Sarai !

I am still waiting for The Camera and The Tsars :( but I pulled out The Last Tsar and I am stunned that it opened to a photo of N&A with GD Olga at the Kremlin in 1903. It is of the same procession in the video that I linked to in another thread. And I am very sure it is GD Serge walking with GD Elizabeth!!

I do recommend this book. There are many photographs that I have never seen before and for example of the 1903 visit to Moscow there are six pages of photos. There are also two sections on Alexander II and III. And the quality of the reproductions of the photographs is excellent.

One photograph on page 149 has a caption "N&A with members of the royal family, seamen and officers" that I believe is at Spala with Prince Henry and Princess Irene. There is no date but GD Olga is very young maybe four or five. It is lovely to find this early photograph to compare it to others of Spala and try to solve the mystery of where it was taken and the year!

Joanna

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 02:32:59 PM »
Joanna,
Thanks for your input - it certainly helps me to decide whether or not to get this book!

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 07:36:22 PM »
Hi-- I got the book in the mail today. I was wondering, like you, whether or not to get it. I will tell you this--it's not worth it. There are hardly any photos of the imperial family...no candids, no poses, no vacation shots, what-have-you. It is filled with military type shots and long-distance photos of royal processions..very boring. A dissapointment. Most of the book is about tsars before Nicholas II, anyway!
I recommend Love Power and Tragedy, Tsar: Lost World of N&A, N&A:The Family Albums, and Royal Russia. I am waiting for Romanov Family Albums and Sunset... which I hope will be better!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 07:56:08 PM »
Sunset wasn't worth it for me... but I paid about $90 for it!

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 03:07:09 PM »
I agree with Abby as to Yermilova's book. I never bought it for just that reason after skimming through.

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:47:01 PM »
Oh dear :o
Thanks Abbey and Silja for the warning. I've ordered this book a few days ago, but I think I cancel. You've saved me a lot of money.

Yesterday I received my secondhand copy of "The Jewel Album of Tsar Nicholas". I must say the book is in a very good state and I think its lovely...... ( nice price too ;)

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 08:13:23 PM »
I thank you for those warnings as well! I have not yet purchased this book and I am now reconsidering it. Unless I find it for a VERY good price, I don't think I will bother buying it then.

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 07:02:41 AM »
I bought this book today for AUS$24.95. I came across it, quite unexpectedly in a newsagent. It's got some good photos of the Orlov diamond, the Archangel cathedral/tomb, Anna Ivanovna's crown (which I'd never seen before) some random Faberge egg, interiors of the Kremlin, the Grand Duchesses' wedding tiara and quite a bit of text which was quite well written.

Not even the compulsory famous shot of OTMA Nikolaevna is present. There isn't much focus on the IF.

Immediate Imperial Family = 4/10
Military = 7/10
Extended family = 7/10
Historical photos/drawings = 8/10

Overall = 6/10

elisa_1872

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 12:01:18 PM »
Hi Sarai!

This book is very interesting, although i think the back of the book is an apt summary, that it has "special emphasis" on Nicholas because, there is much material on the previous tsars in it as well. There are many military photographs, and quite a lot of text, but if you enjoy photograph books just on Nicholas's family, you might prefer one of the others instead. However, i still enjoyed the book very much - because the photographs that are there are extremely interesting, and im sure that is Grand Duke Sergei and GD Ella in the parade, because i saw a film clip of the same photograph, and is almost certainly them. I especially liked the single portrait of Alexandra in it, with beads. The quality of the photos is very good too. Im not sure the title should have been "the Last Tsar" when there is only a large chapter on him in the book, but i still would recommend this chapter on the strength of its pictures.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 10:22:53 PM »
This is a splendid photo book.

The book is actually split into only three chapters + an Introduction, of which Nikolai II occupies the largest number of pages (69 -255).

My favorite photo is the second last one on p 254, showing two large Imperial eagles in flight (at the foreground) while Nikolai is deep in thought with his head bent down, unaware that his upper body is refllected on the marble stand (almost midline) which carries those magnificent eagles.  :)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 10:49:13 PM »
I see opinions on this one are split.

Either way, is it worth $25-30 US? (For me to be happy about parting with $25-30, I basically need to see a fair number of new photos. At that price, a book doesn't need to knock my socks of -- it just needs to not stink.)
Sm
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 12:16:00 AM »
IEither way, is it worth $25-30 US?

Absolutely!  ;D

I basically need to see a fair number of new photos

You will be rewarded with quite a few "new" photographs and informative text.

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 12:33:13 PM »
This is a lovely book.  Here at Eurohistory.com we have sold about 50 copies of it and continue to sell it...highly recommended.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 07:22:27 PM »
Thanks for your opinions. I ordered the book and it arrived yesterday, so here's my two cents' worth:

Short version: I'm very happy with it, and the photos are different from those in Camera & the Tsars, Romanovs: Love, Power and Tragedy, and Nicholas & Alexandra: the Family Albums.

Long version: It's true, there's a significant number of wide-angle photos of processions and military reviews in which the Imperial Family members are a bit lost in the crowd. Also, it's true that OTMAA isn't the main focus here. BUT -- I loved the pictures of Marie Feodorovna and Alexander III & family on their visits to Copenhagen. I thourougly enjoyed seeing both Alexander III and Nicholas II as small boys and young men with their siblings; it gave me a much better sense of the wider context of Nicky's immediate family. For those of you who are interested specifically in Nicky, Alix, and their children, this probably isn't the book for you. If you want to have a broader look at Nicky's family life, this is excellent. I even like it better than the Jewel Album of Nicholas II, which I also got yesterday.  ;)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King