Author Topic: Duke Philippe d'Orléans (brother of Louis XIV), and his family  (Read 59525 times)

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Duke Philippe d'Orléans (brother of Louis XIV), and his family
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 11:45:03 AM »
Well, that settles that . . .
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 07:18:24 AM »
wow! :)

so um what about philippe? :D
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 07:23:56 AM »

;D

you are tireless, aren't you? he he he!
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 06:01:59 PM »
Here's another pic of Minette:

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »

He really loved wearing those enormous red laces around his neck!

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 06:12:46 PM »
Hey, umigon! God I am glad that someone else is online! Yes, Philippe does look rather ridiculous in that photo, doesn't he?
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Grand Duke

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ABSOLUTE POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 06:20:46 PM »
Hey, umigon! God I am glad that someone else is online! Yes, Philippe does look rather ridiculous in that photo, doesn't he?

LOL, he looks like a rich clown!  ;D ;D ;D
I'm THE GRAND DUKE of LIPTON-upon-AVON ! Please to meet you. I'm glad you know my name!

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 06:23:21 PM »
Yes, and his cheeks are suspiciously rosy . . . :- )
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 06:24:32 PM »

Yes, I am online, but I am afraid I am a bit asleep (you know, yesterday's friday night fever), so I might be going early to bed...

Its a pity no one ever painted a portrait of Philippe disguised as a woman... it would have been... 'interesting', at the least... :P

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 06:27:32 PM »

Yes, I am online, but I am afraid I am a bit asleep (you know, yesterday's friday night fever), so I might be going early to bed...

Its a pity no one ever painted a portrait of Philippe disguised as a woman... it would have been... 'interesting', at the least... :P

I don't think Philippe would have appreciated it!

Speaking of bed, I'm going to mine now. Talk to y'all tomorrow!
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2005, 06:32:30 PM »

I am of the same opinion!

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2005, 07:59:42 AM »
Thanks for those, Helene! Not exactly the most handsome man in the world . . . then again it is hard to see through the ridiculous fashions of his era to see what he really looked like.
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2005, 09:10:54 AM »

This Monsieur was quite a peculiar character, with those laces and his frivolous manners. But, apart from that, he was very well educated and cultivated a deep love for arts and lecture. A contradictory character, I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:30:14 AM by Svetabel »

palatine

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2005, 10:24:39 PM »
Philippe was a toddler when his father, Louis XIII, died.  His education was deliberately neglected by his mother, Anne of Austria, the Regent of France.  Philippe's uncle Gaston had caused endless troubles for Louis XIII, and Anne was determined that Philippe would cause no difficulties for Louis XIV.  

Philippe was trained to be utterly subservient to Louis XIV, and their mother gave Louis the time, attention, and care that was never given to Philippe.  Philippe was encouraged to dress as a girl, to play with little boys who were also dressed as girls, and spent most of his time with his mother's ladies in waiting.  As an adult, Philippe was a dandy, social leader, expert on etiquette, and the patron of Moliere and other literary figures.

Philippe was very brave, and on the rare occasions he was permitted to do so, acquitted himself well on the battlefield.  I seem to remember reading that Philippe defeated William of Orange (William III) in battle, though it must be admitted that this was easy to do, since William was not a good general.

Minette has been idealized by her biographers, in my opinion.  It is true that she had a sad childhood.  She was abandoned by her mother soon after she was born, and captured by Parliament's forces.  Her governess escaped with her to France when Minette was a toddler.  Against the last wishes of her father, and to the horror of Charles II, Minette was converted to Catholicism.  

Minette spent her childhood with her neurotic mother, Henrietta Maria, at the convent of Chaillot.  Once in a while, Minette and her mother went to parties at the French Court, but they spent most of their time in relative isolation with the nuns.  Minette met her sister Mary only once while she lived in France, and rarely saw her brothers Charles, James or Henry.  When she was sixteen, Henrietta Maria arranged Minette's marriage with Monsieur, though she knew that he was a homosexual.

The marriage was a failure almost from the get-go.  Philippe thought he was in love with Minette, but a few weeks spent in her company cured him of that.  Minette was a frivolous young woman who held her husband in contempt, ignoring his good qualities and seeking comfort in the attention of other men.  It seems probable that Minette had affairs with Louis XIV and a few of the courtiers, which humiliated Philippe.  Anne of Austria and Henrietta Maria had to intervene when the scandal over Louis and Minette's affair started getting out of control, telling them to cool it, but the damage had been done.  Philippe spent more and more time with his boyfriends, few of whom had any use for Minette.  While it is true that Philippe was financially generous to his boyfriends, he was never in financial trouble, despite the claims of Liselotte, his second wife.  

Minette and Philippe had three children, two girls and a boy, but the boy died.  Philippe, almost completely estranged from Minette, began commenting happily on the fact that Minette looked ill, and confided in a few people that a fortune-teller had told him that he would have more than one wife.  Philippe was enraged when Minette and Louis XIV began meeting for political discussions.  They were negotiating the Treaty of Dover, but Philippe seems to have believed that their affair was starting up again, especially since neither would tell him what they were discussing.  Philippe began kicking people out of their household who were close to Minette, probably because he believed they were facilitating her affairs.  

It is true that Minette was thin; her death was caused by peritonitis from a perforated stomach ulcer.  It is possible that she was anorexic.  She certainly had a surfeit of energy, and was eager to party with the courtiers rather than rest or take care of her health.

All of this is just my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

palatine

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2005, 09:17:14 AM »
Liselotte married Philippe a year after Minette’s death.  When Philippe met her, he was so flabbergasted by her appearance that he confided to his friends that he did not know how he would be able to sleep with her.  Liselotte was not a beauty, nor did she give herself airs or take much interest in clothes or jewelry.  Liselotte was a straight shooter who called a spade a spade; she was forthright, blunt and honest.  Louis XIV was delighted with Liselotte, who was the antithesis of Minette, that social butterfly.  

Philippe realized that Liselotte was different from Minette, and would never embarrass him by cheating on him.  Liselotte grew to understand that Philippe was, in his own way, devoted to her and protective of her.  While Philippe spent his days in a social whirl, Liselotte went riding and hunting. Liselotte generally wore a riding habit all day, and when she went to Court functions, Philippe sat her down to do her makeup, arrange her jewels, and supervise her choice of dress.  Liselotte didn’t like Philippe’s boyfriends, but she was a redoubtable fighter, and everyone at the French Court quickly learned not to give Liselotte trouble.  Philippe’s favorites realized that Liselotte was a real improvement over Minette, since Liselotte really didn’t care what they did, so long as it didn’t interfere with her riding, hunting, friendship with Philippe, or her children, for whom she fought like a tigress.  Unlike Minette, Liselotte caused no scandals.

Philippe and Liselotte worked as a team.  Philippe was particularly pleased by the fact that Liselotte was a devoted mother, and a loving stepmother to his two daughters from his first marriage.  Both Philippe and Liselotte spent a great deal of time with their children, and lived as a real family, unlike many of the royal and noble families of the day, who almost never saw each other.  Philippe spoiled the children, while Liselotte scolded and loved them with equal energy.  All of the children adored Liselotte, and after her stepdaughters married and left the Court, they kept in touch with her.

Philippe and Liselotte’s marriage went well until the marriage of their son to an illegitimate daughter of Louis XIV.  Philippe bowed to the inevitable, and did not protest the marriage, while Liselotte fought, which soured her relationship with Louis XIV and with her husband, who begged her to read the writing on the wall and accept the marriage with a good grace.  Their partnership was never as close as it had been in the past, but Philippe and Liselotte remained friends.

They had two children, a boy who grew up to become the Regent of France for Louis XV, and a girl who married into the House of Lorraine.  Through their children, Liselotte and Philippe were the ancestors of the current claimant of the French throne, as well as, through their grandson Francis of Lorraine’s marriage to Maria Theresa of Austria, the ancestors of the House of Habsburg.  Marie Antoinette was a great-granddaughter of Philippe and Liselotte.  

Liselotte wrote long letters every day to her family.   Her letters are one of the best sources for information about the Court of Louis XIV, but they must be used with caution.  Liselotte did not always tell the truth, and sometimes she simply repeated gossip and rumors.  

All of this is just my opinion and your mileage may vary.