Author Topic: Elizabeth's Rooms  (Read 5256 times)

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
Elizabeth's Rooms
« on: June 18, 2004, 08:47:45 AM »
I know from the color coded floor plan that Bob has on the website that Elizabeth had a set of rooms in the wing to the right of the main entrance.  Is anyone aware if there are any pictures of her rooms?  Thanks in advance!

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth's Rooms
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 07:33:34 PM »
I am going to give this another try....since apparently there are no pictures of Ella's rooms in the Alexander Palace, when would she have had the opportunity to stay there, considering she had residences in St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Illinskoe?

elisa_1872

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 06:09:09 AM »
Hi, i found this quotation about Grand Duchess Elisabeth's rooms in the Alexander Palace :-

"Facing his [The Tsar's] own rooms across the courtyard, in the west wing, the Dowager Tsarina commissioned Maples of London to redecorate and furnish the rooms that had once been used by the first Nicholas and Alexandra. This "English suite" was intended for guests, and a special apartment was prepared for the Tsaritsa's sister, Grand Princess Elisabeth...."

Fascinating information Joanna!! Would be great to research this further. Maybe you could post the picture of her room? :D

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 05:48:12 PM »
Joanna, do you have access to that picture you mentioned above?

Offline strom

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 10:08:56 AM »
I think I have said elsewhere that GD Elizabeth's rooms were formerly used to display Empress Catherine's private tapestry collection some of which might still have been conserved in those rooms afterwards.  

Folks, I may be wrong but that is what I read somewhere.  

bluetoria

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 08:24:42 AM »
Oops...I putthis in thewrong place - it's right now. This picture labelled as Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna's bedroom in the AP,  has just come up on ebay (in the USA of course; there is NEVER anything of hers in England!)

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:37:27 AM »
bluetoria...thank you so much for posting this picture!  What makes it seem like the AP to me is the carpet in the room, which reminds me of the wreaths on the wallpaper and fabric in Alix's bedroom in the AP.  You have made my day!!! ;D

bluetoria

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 09:42:18 AM »
 You have made my day!!! ;D

Oh good! I'm glad it made you happy  :) :)
I considered buying it but I don't think I'll bother (do you know by any chance how much is $48 in £s? I think thatwas the starting bid.)

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 11:01:47 AM »
If my calculations are correct, bluetoria, it should be approximately 25 pounds!

bluetoria

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 11:47:52 AM »
If my calculations are correct, bluetoria, it should be approximately 25 pounds!

Thanks, jfkhaos. Are you considering putting in a bid - I'm not - but there is still time  :)

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 11:52:45 AM »
Really out of my price range, but it was wonderful to be able to see it, and I thank you again!!!!! ::)

Offline pers

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 10:22:12 AM »
If one looks at the plans of the main floor of the Alexander Palace as posted by Vladimir in the other thread, and you look at the photograph of the bedroom under this thread, it appears to be room number 50 in the west wing.