Author Topic: King Albert I & Queen Elizabeth (nee Bavaria) of Belgium  (Read 78828 times)

Offline crazy_wing

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: King Albert I & Queen Elizabeth (nee Bavaria) of Belgium
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2005, 11:59:59 PM »

Elisabeth traveled a lot after the WWI.  Elisabeth and her husband visited America and met president Wilson in 1919.  Then in 1920, they went to brazil.  In 1922 to Egypt!  Elisabeth was interested in Egypt and took courses in Egyptology too.  During her visit, she helped open the tomb of King Tut!  In 1925, she went to India and 1930 to Congo.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:42:00 PM by Svetabel »

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2005, 06:52:02 PM »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2005, 03:36:05 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2005, 03:41:38 PM »
Portrait of her husband King Albert I of Belgium!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2005, 10:47:35 AM »
Queen Elisabeth with Queen Mary of the UK
May 17, 1922

(I don't know a thing about Belgian royalty, so I hope I've got the right Elisabeth -- I'm trusting the caption on an old International Newsreel Corp. photo!)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2005, 12:18:10 AM »
Yes, it's the right Elisabeth. It was probably taken on the state visit Albert & Elisabeth paid to Britain after WW1.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2005, 12:58:19 AM »
Wonderful picture!

Offline La_Rainha

• Loving old Royalty photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2006, 04:35:33 AM »
I think, Elisabeth was a woman, who knows, what she wants! She was very intelligent und was to her husband a woman and partner, not only a pendant as other queens in this time! Right, a wonderful looking woman like Queen Marie Romania, she wasn`t, but I really love photos of Queen Elisabeth. Quickly you can get the impression from the photos, that Elisabeth loves fashion. In every period, she wears the fashion of the time, specially her dresses in "Art Deco" are wonderful.
Her sister, the Crownprincess Marie GAbrielle, was a better looking woman, but in Elisabeths eyes, there was energy and power, different to the sad view of Marie Gabrielle!

Michael_II

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2006, 05:04:30 PM »
Does anyone have or seen wedding pictures of King Albert and Queen Elizabeth?  Thanks :)

Agneschen

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2006, 06:42:56 AM »
As a young man Albert had first fallen in love & wished to marry Princess Isabelle of Orléans but King Léopold II refused to give his consent for political reasons (he wanted to keep good relationships with the neighbouring French republic). The Bavarian Princess Mathilde, daughter of King Ludwig III, was then considered, so was Archduchess Elisabeth-Marie "Erzsi" of Austria - Albert's brother Henriette was very prejudiced against the latter saying "Both her grandmothers (Sisi & Queen Marie Henriette) are crazy, her father (Kronprinz Rudolf) mad, her mother (Princess Stéphanie) extravagant - I shiver when I think of the possibility of such a match !". The Bavarian sisters Elisabeth & Marie Gabrielle were the next 2 princesses to be thought about : Albert first favoured Marie Gabrielle but she announced her engagement to Kronprinz Rupprecht of Bavaria. Elisabeth was the only one left. Albert met her several times in Paris where he was staying with his sister Henriette & Elisabeth with her aunt Queen Marie of Naples. The more he grew to know her the more he liked her & finally, during a walk in the forêt de Fontainebleau, managed to pluck up his courage & to ask her timidly : "Do you think you will be able to stand the Belgian climate ?". Elisabeth seems to have been madly in love with him if one judges by the letters she wrote during their engagement. He called her "Lisa" or "Kind" (child) and their marriage was harmonious & happy. Albert's father, Philippe Count of Flanders, never liked Elisabeth though, confiding to his daughter Joséphine that she was small, plain & "most unpleasing" and that he felt relieved when she was not by.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »
Belgian newspaper the Standaard had the obituary of the Countess Maria Immaculee Claire Elisabeth Marguerite de Limburg Stirum,néé Princess de Croy,
daughter of Countess Mathilde Victorine Marie Alphonsine de Robiano,Lady in Waiting to HM Queen Elisabeth of Belgium.

The late Countess was the mother-in-law of HRH Princess Hélène de Orléans,herself a daughter of TRH the late Count and Comtesse de Paris.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2007, 07:55:26 AM »

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2007, 08:51:32 AM »
A welknown picture Mandy,but thanks no less.

Btw,could any of the Mods change the part of the title of this thread "King Albert II" into King Albert I,as the present Monarch is Albert II.Thank you in advance.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »

Does anybody know the cause of Elisabeth's death?
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth