Author Topic: King Albert I & Queen Elizabeth (nee Bavaria) of Belgium  (Read 78825 times)

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Re: King Albert I & Queen Elizabeth (nee Bavaria) of Belgium
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2008, 03:14:03 AM »

Does anybody know the cause of Elisabeth's death?

Old age!She was 89...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:36:48 AM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2008, 03:42:11 AM »
Old age!She was 89...

Yes, I know. But some old people die of pneumonia, for example.
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline Eric VdV

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »
Old age!She was 89...

Yes, I know. But some old people die of pneumonia, for example.
Queen Elisabeth died from a severe heart attack the same day. She already had a first heart attack at the beginning of the same month of November, but the second heart attack was much more severe and killed her only a few minutes later.

Eric VdV

Rani

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2009, 07:04:37 PM »

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Rani

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2009, 12:24:19 PM »

Buste of Marie José and Sophie Toerring-Jettenbach made by Elisabeth in the 50´s.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:26:44 PM by Rani »

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
Wasn't the term "Iron Curtain" credited to her, with respect to her German relatives?

According to bios of her by both Sindey Cuniffe-Owen and Alison Nicholas she did say speaking of Germany "It is finished between me and them; henceforth an iron curtain has descended between us which will never be raised." This she said in 1915, some 30 years before Churchill made the phrase more famous.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Je Maintiendrai

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
Albert from a Chilean magazine. Selecta , 1910

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »
Is is known what Queen Elisabeth thought about the marriage of her son, King Leopold III, to Liliane, Princess de Rethy? Did she ever refer to it in public or did she merely keep a discreet silence?

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
I wonder that too. In the meantime, here  one  of my favorite of Elisabeth

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »
Thanks Katenka Fyodorovna! It is a lovely photo. Elisabeth was such a wonderful woman and queen. I really admire her.

Offline Sara Araújo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »
With her daughter Maria-José:

Natalie Paley website:

http://nataliepaley.webs.com/

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
You welcome Greenowl. I like her very much too!

Here another of my favorites of her

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:39:32 PM by Katenka_Fyodorovna »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Some recent bios have included bits of letters from Elisabeth either to or regarding Albert:

During their engagement, she showered him with letters of rapturous devotion. "If only I could enter this letter, and, when you open it, leap up to your neck and kiss you, "wild," passionately, my dearest Albert,"  and "...I adore you and I love you with my whole being...I would leap through fire and water for you."

Albert wrote to her that "... May you be as happy as I wish. You will always be able to count on my infinite love, and my absolute loyalty. After leaving you ... everything seemed so empty to me that even the crowded streets of Paris seemed to me to be a desert... " while Elisabeth responded that ""It is 11.45 in the evening, and I feel so alone and so sad without you. In the few days I have been with you, I have come to love you with all my heart! Truly, I love you so much! In a way that I never would have believed I could love someone. You are so good and kind towards me, that it touches me and makes me happy. You know that I cannot express well what I feel for you, but I think you understand me..."

Again, shortly after their engagement, they exchanged letters. Albert: "During this visit to Possenhofen, so pleasant but too brief, I have come to know you even better, and, above all, if I may confess it to you, I have been able to appreciate all the qualities of heart, intelligence, and kindness, with which my dear Lisa is filled, and which had conquered me from the first day I had seen her. You know that I, myself, do not have many qualities, but I can promise you, in all sincerity, to have one: that of trying to please you always and also of trying to deserve to have a wife such as you ..." Elisabeth:

Early on, Albert would take a paternalistic tone in his letters, addressing Elisabeth as Das Kind and showering her with advice and imploring her to do this or the other thing--such as bundling up, and going to Church, etc... As they aged and settled into their roles, and as Elisabeth grew in confidence, this tone seems to have abated and he recognized her more as an equal and partner. He missed her greatly  writing to her that "Today, the weather is very fine, but it makes no difference to me, because I do not have Lisa with me. I will do everything she asks when she comes back; this separation has proved to me what dominion you have assumed over me, there is not a single second, in the whole day, in which I am not thinking of you. I hope you do not find my letters ridiculous or exaggerated, it is because I love you so much that I write all these things."

She vowed to become his helpmate and shortly before his accession to the throne, she wrote to him: "You deserve to have a wife who lives for you, which is what I will try to do all my life."

After his death, she started jeopardizing her own health but responded to concerns with ""Let me be. If I fall ill, so much the better. I want to die, I want to go to my Albert" and later wrote to their daughter that ""Ever since the cruel separation from your father, I have not been able to live a single day, without his memory being present to me, and everything I have done, I have done out of fidelity to his memory."

Their son Leopold recalled in an interview: "We really were a family. My father and my mother were united by a wonderful love... and this love never weakened: a love which needed no words and demonstrations, but which was the substance and the happiness of their life. It is a great privilege for children to grow up with a couple who never ceased to project the image of a perfect union...

Marie Jose recalled "Between Albert of Belgium and Elisabeth in Bavaria, a deep love formed a bond of an exceptional quality, a bond which only grew stronger, as much in the years that were happy and peaceful as in those which would be tragic and painful. I do not consider that I am committing an indiscretion by publishing extracts from (their) correspondence. I think, on the contrary, that they will contribute to illustrating the depth and purity of their love."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:14:21 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/