Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > French Royals

Louis XVII - Did he die in the Tower?

(1/43) > >>

koloagirl:
 :(
Poor little Louis XVII - the ill-fated son of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI - was forcibly taken from his mother and sister after his father's execution and given to one of the jailers where he was brainwashed into saying at his mother's trial that she was incestuously involved with him!  I simply cannot imagine her anguish at seeing him and hearing the obscenities he was uttering.  

Then after her execution - he passes into the pages of history -- most people believing he died of abuse and neglect in the Tower - but many people came forward later claiming to be this same boy.
Echoes of GD Anastasia!   :-/

What is everyone's opinion on this?  How do you think he died?  

Janet R.

Prince_Lieven:
Well, I read a book by Debra Cadbury called 'the Lost King of France' which deals with this issue - it is a very sad story. Taking things like DNA into accout, I beleive she confirms that Louis XVII did indeed die the in the Temple Prison. His poor sister was tormented for the rest of her life by men claiming to be him, but would never meet her for fear she would identify them.

Helene:
  You're right, He was the second son of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette, He receives the title of duke of Normandy, and becomes hear with the dead of his elder brother, Louis-Joseph-Xavier deceased on June 4, 1789.

Locked up with his family in the Tuileries, then in the Temple, after August 10, 1792, He is separated from his father on 2  December, when the lawsuit of the king opens, then of his mother on July 3, 1793. He is then entrusted to the guard of  Simon  a shoe-maker. This man tried  to corrupt the child by teaching him a  language disrespectful.

January 5, 1794, Simon gives up the post of "tutor" and the small heir, entrusted to the guard of renewed police chiefs every evening, is subjected to reinforced "safety measures".

His head was shaved, and nobody does not authorize him to see his sister, Mrs Royale, who lives solitary on the floor above. Herself speaks with a certain detachment about her small neighbor in the memories which she will write later.

The child locked up in the Temple dies abruptly in 1795. :-/

Many "false-heir" will haunt France and the world during decades which follow, of which most famous are certainly Naundorff.

Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I am not very good in English  :P

Prince_Lieven:

--- Quote ---
Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I am not very good in English  :P

--- End quote ---

That's OK - are you French? You speak wonderful English! Have you also read the Lost King of France?

Helene:
Yes I am french, so I am very happy there is a section for "French Royals"  :D

And no, I don't read this book, but if you advise it to me, why not  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version