Author Topic: Royal Interiors  (Read 722520 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Interiors
« Reply #630 on: November 19, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »
I was wondering if there is a book that tells everything on Buck House ?  8)

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 19, 2008, 05:46:03 PM »
Can you tell me more (full) informations (history, decorations, arrange, furniture... ) about Grand Staircase, East gallery (especially about this room, because I don't know nothing about history, decorations...) and Ballroom?

The Grand Hall is the same dimmensions as the hall of the old Buckingham House, with the same low proportions stressing that the piano nobile is above, similar to an Italian Renaissance palace.  Nash created dramatic spatial effects by lowering the floor of the central area.  The floor, and Corinthian columns, are all of white Carrara marble.  The chimney at the north end of the hall, opposite the Grand Staircase, is among the finest in the palace, supplied in 1829 by Joseph Theakston.   Originally the walls were lined with coloured scagliola; the present white and gold scheme was executed in 1902 for Edward VII.

The Grand Staircase rises to a landing, then either continues upward in a straight flight to the East Gallery, or returns on two flights to the Guard Room.  This staircase is lit by engraved glass skylights by Wainwright and Brothers, the patterns are reminiscent of white damask tablecloths.  The staircase, of Carrara marble, replaces James Wyatt's imperial staircase (built for George III in 1801).  It features a gilt bronze ballustrate embellished with Grecian foliage.  It was made in 1828-1830 and cost 3,900 pounds at that time.  At the top are mahogany framed, mirror-plated doors designed by Nash and used throughout the state rooms.  The walls of the staircase were also originally covered with polychorme panels of scaglioa, but are now white and gold.  Lining the staircase are portraits of Queen Victoria's immediate ancestors and relations, illustrating her succession, which were devised shortly after her coronation in 1838.  They include William IV, George of Cumberland, Princess Charlotte of Wales, King Leopold I of The Belgians, Queen Charlotte, George III, Victoria, Duchess of Kent, Duke of Sussex, Duke of Kent, and Queen Adelaide.

The East Gallery, and the smaller West Gallery act as links between the Nash state rooms in the main block of the palace, and the new block added to the west by Pennethrone in 1853-1835 for Queen Victoria's vast new ballroom.  They do not match the spendour of NAsh's rooms, but traces of the original decorations initiated by Prince Albert survive, including panels of "Cupids at Play" by Consoni.  The East Gallery connects the top of the Grand Staircase (main flight from the landing) to the entrance to the Ballroom.  The West Gallery connects the State Dining Room to the Ballroom.  Alongside the Ballroom itself is the Cross Gallery, which connects the East and West Gallery.

Besides leading to the Ballroom, the East Gallery also gives access to the Ball Supper Room (also added for Queen Victoria), and the Household Corridor (which runs the depth of the south wing, connecting the State Rooms on the garden side, to the public side - the East Wing).

Offline StefanOlson

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 19, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
I was wondering if there is a book that tells everything on Buck House ?  8)

In my completely biased opinion, the best resource is the Buckingham Palace Virtual Tour that my company creates :) It certainly has a lot of photographs and information you won't find in books.

…Stefan
Olson Software Ltd, www.palacevirtualtours.com.
Makers of virtual tours of Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Versailles

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 20, 2008, 11:46:23 AM »
Thanks ! Do you have one for Schonbrunn in Austria ?  ;)

Offline StefanOlson

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 20, 2008, 02:03:20 PM »
Thanks ! Do you have one for Schonbrunn in Austria ?  ;)

Not at this stage.  It's something we can look into, but the most likely additional tours would be some of the Saint Petersburg palaces such as Peterhof.

…Stefan

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 20, 2008, 03:59:37 PM »
St Petersburg is full of palaces...too big a project. Schonburnn or Carserta (Napoli) may be easier.

Offline StefanOlson

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 20, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »
St Petersburg is full of palaces...too big a project. Schonburnn or Carserta (Napoli) may be easier.

Each tour is a single palace, so there would be quite a number of tours we could build over a period of time.  These decisions are made based on both on demand and based on the resources we have to create the tour.  We have already done a lot of the preparation work of photography of Peterhof, which is why it would probably be the next one to be done.  Thanks for your suggestions, we will certainly look at them.  The more tours we sell, the more tours we can create :)

…Stefan
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:20:30 PM by StefanOlson »

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 20, 2008, 10:26:31 PM »
The Grand Hall is the same dimmensions as the hall of the old Buckingham House, with the same low proportions stressing that the piano nobile is above, similar to an Italian Renaissance palace.  Nash created dramatic spatial effects by lowering the floor of the central area.  The floor, and Corinthian columns, are all of white Carrara marble.  The chimney at the north end of the hall, opposite the Grand Staircase, is among the finest in the palace, supplied in 1829 by Joseph Theakston.   Originally the walls were lined with coloured scagliola; the present white and gold scheme was executed in 1902 for Edward VII.

The Grand Staircase rises to a landing, then either continues upward in a straight flight to the East Gallery, or returns on two flights to the Guard Room.  This staircase is lit by engraved glass skylights by Wainwright and Brothers, the patterns are reminiscent of white damask tablecloths.  The staircase, of Carrara marble, replaces James Wyatt's imperial staircase (built for George III in 1801).  It features a gilt bronze ballustrate embellished with Grecian foliage.  It was made in 1828-1830 and cost 3,900 pounds at that time.  At the top are mahogany framed, mirror-plated doors designed by Nash and used throughout the state rooms.  The walls of the staircase were also originally covered with polychorme panels of scaglioa, but are now white and gold.  Lining the staircase are portraits of Queen Victoria's immediate ancestors and relations, illustrating her succession, which were devised shortly after her coronation in 1838.  They include William IV, George of Cumberland, Princess Charlotte of Wales, King Leopold I of The Belgians, Queen Charlotte, George III, Victoria, Duchess of Kent, Duke of Sussex, Duke of Kent, and Queen Adelaide.

The East Gallery, and the smaller West Gallery act as links between the Nash state rooms in the main block of the palace, and the new block added to the west by Pennethrone in 1853-1835 for Queen Victoria's vast new ballroom.  They do not match the spendour of NAsh's rooms, but traces of the original decorations initiated by Prince Albert survive, including panels of "Cupids at Play" by Consoni.  The East Gallery connects the top of the Grand Staircase (main flight from the landing) to the entrance to the Ballroom.  The West Gallery connects the State Dining Room to the Ballroom.  Alongside the Ballroom itself is the Cross Gallery, which connects the East and West Gallery.

Besides leading to the Ballroom, the East Gallery also gives access to the Ball Supper Room (also added for Queen Victoria), and the Household Corridor (which runs the depth of the south wing, connecting the State Rooms on the garden side, to the public side - the East Wing).

Chris thanks very much for your all informations. It is a very fantastic and I enjoy reading your informations. Thanks so much. You are a really help me :)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 21, 2008, 10:24:29 AM »
You are welcome ! I shall look forward to more tours. My friend bought the Versailles one and loved it !

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 23, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
Some photos of the State Rooms during reign of the King George VI:

The Throne Room

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 23, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »

The White Drawing Room

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 23, 2008, 06:45:21 PM »

The State Dinning Room

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 23, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »

The Ball Super Room

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »
Nice pics !

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 27, 2008, 10:25:20 AM »
Household Corridor at Buckingham palace - some photos:

Photos of the Household Corridor which I posted before on this forum:

On the end of this part of the Household Corridor you can see the East Gallery.

NOTE FROM FORUM ADMIN:
I have removed the copyright plan of Buckingham Palace that I have now had to remove many times before.
ALL USERS: PLEASE STOP USING COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING PERMISSION.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:54:09 PM by Forum Admin »