Author Topic: Royal Interiors  (Read 733726 times)

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Interiors
« Reply #495 on: August 13, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »
Does anyone have the book Inside Buckingham Palace by Andrew Morton?  He has in the book photos of two different bedrooms in the Belgian Suite, both very different from one another and certainly not looking like that blue one shown above.  He could have things wrong in this book as well, but there are a lot of things different about the photos in this book (cornice, chandelier, etc.) and the picture above.  Does anyone know if there is more than one bedroom in the Belgian Suite?

The photo of a bedroom in that book is not labelled correctly, that is a bedroom on the frst floor, east wing

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 13, 2008, 11:35:52 AM »
The Belgian Suite have only one bedroom. I'm sure. And it is this room:

I founded and this photo which shows The Guest's bedroom on the first floor in the East Wing:

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 13, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »
Please I have a one wish.
Does any of you can post images of The Ministers' Staircase at Buckingham palace. I founded only this small photo on the Internet, but I couldn't found larger photo:

Please if any of you have a any photos of The Ministers' Staircase PLEASE post them. I think that this photos are from Buckingham palace Guide Book, but I didn't have that book, please if any have some images I will be happy if you will scan them and post here. It is a very important for me :)
I will be very very happy.

Offline architect

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 13, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »
Nikola,

Thanks for the clarification on the Belgian Suite Bedroom.  That photo that you posted from the Andrew Morton book was what I was talking about, he must have is labeled wrong.  In any case, in my mind that is a much nicer guest room in terms of the decoration and that blue room in the Belgian Suite.  They should have fired their decorator based on that satin bed spread and bad carpets alone.   I really can't image them allowing anyone to stay there!!

Here is the only picture I have of the Minister's Stair.  Its from an old book, sorry about the quality.  This photo shows the stain glass window that has since been removed.  Does anyone know why?

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 13, 2008, 02:30:44 PM »
I recall reading that window was a memorial to Eddy, Duke of Clarence. I don't know if anyone can confirm that?
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 13, 2008, 10:04:41 PM »
Architect thanks so much for picture of The Minister Staircase :) The picture is fantastic, thanks again.
Do you have some information about the Minister Staircase in that book?

I hope that someone will post the picture of the The Minister Staircase how they look like today, during the present Queen's reign.

Offline architect

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 14, 2008, 06:27:31 AM »
Nikola, unfortunately, there was no additional information. 

It is my understanding though, that the British Monarchy website is being updated and could possibly be adding an interactive plan with expanded photos.  I have gotten several emails from them, one was a survey regarding use and organization of the site, etc. Part of the survey asked whether an interactive plan would be something desireable.

Offline EnricdeG

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 14, 2008, 07:05:22 AM »
WOOOOW!!!
What a wonderful floorplans! Definetly the most detailed that I've ever seen! Thank you very much! :)
Unluckily the fist posts are unavailable.

I'm waiting impatiently your new uploads! :)

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 14, 2008, 01:41:45 PM »
Nikola, unfortunately, there was no additional information. 

It is my understanding though, that the British Monarchy website is being updated and could possibly be adding an interactive plan with expanded photos.  I have gotten several emails from them, one was a survey regarding use and organization of the site, etc. Part of the survey asked whether an interactive plan would be something desireable.

I also received a "website content" survey and follow-up emails from the British monarchy website.  I'm excited to see what they finally come up with in terms of redesign.  Clearly, given my fascination with royal palaces and residences, I recommended they greatly expand on that topic!

Offline Le Roi Soleil

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 15, 2008, 09:43:03 AM »

American politician Wendell Willkie ( 1892 - 1944) during a meeting with King George VI in the former Blue Drawing room at Windsor Castle
04 Feb 1941

Offline architect

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 15, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »
Is this the former King's Bedroom?

Offline Le Roi Soleil

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 15, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
Yes, this room formed part of George IV's private suite in the central area of the east front of the castle and originally combined the functions of both bedroom and bathroom. The arrangement of the room was not deemed a success and George IV moved his bed to the adjacent room. The bath was moved elsewhere at the same time. After the death of Prince Albert in this room in 1861, the room was preserved by Queen Victoria as a shrine to his memory, but with the accession of Edward VII, the room was stripped out and all traces of its previous use were obliterated. And as I know, a bed which belonged originally to King George IV, has been installed at Brighton’s Royal Pavilion in 2006.
http://www.royalpavilion.org.uk/events/news.asp

Offline toddy

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 16, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »
this couldn't be the blue room  where Prince Albert died  the fireplace and and window are in the wrong place   check out the layout 

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 16, 2008, 10:55:32 PM »
Couldn't be sure as they do change the decoration...

Offline architect

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 17, 2008, 06:05:45 PM »
I also noticed that the fireplace is on the wrong side of the room.  The original ceiling and cornice were quite spectacular as well, I find it hard to believe that it would have been ripped out and replaced with this.  Other than the fireplace being on the wrong wall, the rest of the configuration seems to support that this could be the Blue Room.  The alcove at the end would have been replaced with the bookcase.  Any other thoughts from anyone?