Author Topic: Queen Marie Antoinette  (Read 350938 times)

Mari

Re: Queen Marie Antoinette
« Reply #585 on: November 21, 2007, 03:06:44 AM »
The Countess de Provence, wife of Louis XVI brother hated Marie Antoinette according to a source I have recently read. Is there a reason? I have yet to find her mentioned that much in many of the Memoirs.

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #586 on: November 21, 2007, 03:51:38 AM »
One of was that she was ugly and childless and thus jealous of MA...not to mention position.  >:(

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 21, 2007, 09:50:10 AM »
The Countess de Provence, wife of Louis XVI brother hated Marie Antoinette according to a source I have recently read. Is there a reason? I have yet to find her mentioned that much in many of the Memoirs.

She was a really unpleasant person, and her marriage was unhappy, she had no children, that is all true. She was a Savoy Princess who I believe took lovers, male and female, or at least I read that in one biography. She was said to have had really bad personal hygiene at the time of her marriage- anyway, she wasn't a happy person and sources seem to say she was unpleasant. She envied MA the things mentioned.. beauty, children, position, even though MA didn't have a good reputation sadly, anymore than this lady did. But, with her it isn't surprising.

coquelicot

« Reply #588 on: November 22, 2007, 01:39:43 AM »
And then there were those politics reasons : Marie Antoinette represented the alliance with Austria, and this Madame came from Savoy. Mercy wrote about it to Marie Therese... two princesses coming from Savoy, this was a little bit crowdy !

Mari

« Reply #589 on: November 22, 2007, 03:38:28 AM »

Mercy wrote about it to Marie Therese

Is this in a letter that I can access? or an Archives? or A Book? I know that there were many jealous people around Marie Antoinette. I looked through the Vigee LeBrun site at their faces and it is amazing that some of these people helped spread the rumors that led to her Death.

coquelicot

« Reply #590 on: November 22, 2007, 11:25:47 AM »
I once read this. As far I as remember, it was around Artois' wedding. Mercy wrote to Marie Therese that he was worried about those two Savoy princesses in Versailles. It is possible to read all the correspondence between Mercy and Marie Therese on Gallica site :
http://gallica.bnf.fr/scripts/catalog.php?Mod=i&Titre=&FondsTout=on&FondsTxt=on&FondsImp=on&FondsPer=on&FondsImg=on&FondsAud=on&FondsMan=on&Auteur=&Sujet=&RPT=correspondance+secrete+mercy+marie+therese

The link opens to all these books, "correspondance secrète entre Marie Thérèse et le comte de Mercy Argenteau".

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #591 on: November 22, 2007, 08:46:07 PM »
Wow !  :o

Mari

« Reply #592 on: November 26, 2007, 07:31:07 AM »
Thank you for the link but I have not been able to pull up the text! I have tried for 2 or 3 days....I can pull up the title and the index. I am using Adobe 7.0 as the Reader. If you have any suggestions let me know. I so want to read the correspondence......

Mari

« Reply #593 on: November 26, 2007, 08:21:43 AM »
I finally found this but I am not sure how accurate the translations are for the letters. If you get a chance Coquelicot give me your expert opinion. :)

http://marieantoinette1.blogspot.com/2007/10/marie-antoinette-letters-mercy-to-maria_28.html

coquelicot

« Reply #594 on: November 26, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »
Dear Mari, I am deeply sorry... I did not see your messages until today. I can't get those gallica files either, don't understand why, it happens for the first time... I guess you could "telecharger" (copy) those, then, but this method is more complicated, and the site you found seems more interesting for you. God ! What a discovery ! I never saw those letters translated in English ! It is just wonderful !

If you although wish to copy those gallica books in French, you must click on "telecharger", then, a new page appears, click on "ok", new page, you put you mouse on "en cliquant ici" and, using your right clic, you can register the file in your computer.

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #595 on: November 26, 2007, 08:39:57 PM »
Indeed ! A great source.

Mari

« Reply #596 on: January 09, 2008, 05:25:38 AM »
While reading through the Youssoupoff site I came across the very interesting information to me that not only had that family owned Marie Antoinette's diamond earrings but other things. Felix Youssoupoff said this of his Bride's attire
We were quite overwhelmed with gifts: the most gorgeous jewels as well as the simplest and most touching presents form our peasants.. Irina`s wedding dress was magnificent; it was of white satin embroidered in silver with a long train. Her veil, which had belonged to Marie-Antoinette was held by a tiara of rock crystal and diamonds (Felix in his memoirs).

Again from the same family:
The center of Zenaide's world was her palace at No. 94 Moika Canal in St. Petersburg. Spreads over three floors were drawing rooms, reception rooms, and art galleries. A Moorish Room, complete with a central fountain, had been copied directly from an apartment in the Alhambra. Zenaide's bedroom, hung with watered blue damask, contained long rows of cabinets filled with her priceless collection of tiaras, necklaces, earrings, and brooches. The furniture in her boudoir had belonged to Marie Antoinette; above swirled a chandelier of rock crystal, taken from Madame de Pompadour's bedroom at Versailles.

I am amazed that something as fragile as a Veil from Marie Antoinette would survive to be sold and I wonder if there is a list of items that remained and could be accounted for after her Death. Has anyone come across this?

http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/jussupov/queen-marie-antoinette-diamonds.htm

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #597 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:16 PM »
Quite a lot of the Queen's things were sold during the revolution. British buyers especially bought anything that belonged to the luckless queen.  :(

matt99

« Reply #598 on: February 07, 2008, 01:51:30 PM »
What was the reaction from the siblings of Marie Antoinette & the surviving family of Louis & Elisabeth to their deaths?

NAOTMAA Fan

« Reply #599 on: February 07, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »
Quite a lot of the Queen's things were sold during the revolution. British buyers especially bought anything that belonged to the luckless queen.  :(

I haven't a clue if this point was already made, but we certainly now that Alexandra owned possessions of MA's, she became morbidly obsessed with the woman. In the sort of epilogue at the end of Antonia Frasier's "Marie Antoinette", she states the fact the Alexandra was overjoyed to stay in The Queen's Chambers at Versailles, its last occupant being Marie Antoinette (some people were unsettled by this and even saw it as a bad omen). I know I've read somewhere she owned trinkets of MA's and kept them in case in the Mauve Boudoir along with the portrait above her chaise. I read that even Empress Eugenie had an obsession with poor Marie Antoinette too, she had and entire suite in one of her residences furnished with Marie Antoinette's things (that I read in "Crowned in A Far Country" by Princess Michael of Kent).

But anyways, I too wonder this question. The Romanovs had such a list conducted by Yurovksy after their execution in EKaterinburg. Perhaps it is that the Revolutionaries were on a whole less care taking and never made such a list? I mean thats an entire palace to catologue. Though surely things would have been found and tallied up later....