Author Topic: War and Peace - TV Series  (Read 9748 times)

Offline amedeo

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Forti eravamo e resteremo tali
    • View Profile
War and Peace - TV Series
« on: August 17, 2005, 04:02:51 AM »

Hi

Do you know where Sergey Bondarchuk  filmed his War and Peace, I mean the locations (there are a lot of beautiful palaces and rooms).
I only know that the scene of Natasha Rostova's ball was filmed in a palace of the Anglijskaja naberezhnaja n° 10.

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: War and Peace - TV Series
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:01:34 PM »
Amadeo,

I couldn't find any locations only this interesting info:

Russian director Sergei Bondarchuk's epic version of Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace (Voyna i Mir) may well be the most expensive film ever made. It certainly had one of the longest gestation periods, with Bondarchuk spending seven years filming the project (the actors noticeably age from scene to scene). In relating Tolstoy's complex tale of Napoleon's invasion of Russia, Bondarchuk helmed some of the most graphic battle scenes ever seen, one of which runs nearly 45 minutes. So many horses were killed in these sequences that the film was loudly boycotted in some American cities by the ASPCA. While Bondarchuk is slavish to the source material, he does make a few Hollywood-like concessions to popular appeal; his leading lady Lyudmila Savelyeva looks exactly like Audrey Hepburn, the star of King Vidor's 1956 filmization of the Tolstoy novel. Originally clocking in at 507 minutes, War and Peace was pared down to 373 minutes for American consumption. It became a surprise theatrical hit, and a ratings bonanza when it was telecast on the ABC network in four parts from August 12 through 15, 1972. A big film, to be sure? But few modern critics consider Bondarchuk's War and Peace a great film, citing its many deadly dull passages and its sappy, operatic finale.

In adjusted dollars, with appropriate costs factored in, this remains the most expensive movie ever made. This film also holds the record number of extras.

Dvd-box:
Disc 1: Film 1 Andrei Bolkonsky, Parts 1 & 2
Disc 2: Film 2 Natasha Rostova
Disc 3: Film 3 1812
Disc 4: Film 4 Pierre Bezukhov
Disc 5: Bonus
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Offline Lyss

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 03:51:02 AM »
For all of you who can receive France 2 and speak french, the channel is showing the film War and Peace in 4 parts, every tuesday at 20h50. Yesterday, while being bored and zapping, I accidentaly stumbelled on it. It seems pretty good. It's a french-italian-german cooperation  from 2006. The first part took place yesterday, but the other three parts are  yet to come.

http://guidetv.france2.fr/accueil.jspx#

lyss
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »
Some screenshots from the Italian remake of "War and peace" from the novel of Lev Tolstoj.
This beautiful TV movie was transmitted here in Italy in october of 2007, on the Italian national channel "Raiuno".

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
If I am not wrong, that is the longest omvie ever filmed -- 8 long hours, right? From 60s one,I mean,  OK?
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 03:44:50 PM »
Yes!, you are right!  :)
It was transmitted in 4 episodes...a real colossal!

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
I have seen many versions of this story and I have to say that the best one is the Russian version from 1968 by director Sergei Bondarchuk. It also won several important international prizec. Here you can see one of the most amazing scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxT3wdEOHto&annotation_id=annotation_976580&feature=iv

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
Oh yes!, I have seen this movie too!, Ludmila Savelyeva was amazing in the part of Natasha Rostova!  :)
It won an Academy Award in 1969.

Thank you for the link!

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
I intend to watch the theatrical movie with Hepburn sometime soon, also this miniseries - which was created by Robert Dorhelm, who also did Anne Frank: The Whole Story and the Crown Prince, two of my favorite miniseries - is on the list, also the one from BBC I want to see - so I can compare:p
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »
I have seen the one with Audrey Hepburn too, and it's very beautiful, but I don't have seen the one from BBC, do you know if I can find it in DVD?

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:28:57 AM »
Here in Belgium it is available yes, a 4-disc set too. I think it is widely available throughout the world, I also saw it on Amazon

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »
Okay, thank you for the info!, oh, so you are from Belgium!, my mother was born in Belgium (from Italian emigrants), my maternal grandparents are still there...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:36:41 AM by RomanovsFan4Ever »

Russka Princess

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:57:26 AM »
i saw the movie! its a great movie but long long!  the actor are great!!

i love the film i like the movie more than such a fat book!! my Parents and Grandparents saw the movie and have the book, they say the book is much better than the movie.

But I couldn't never read such big and fat book
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:00:10 PM by Alixz »

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
I have read the book too (before watching the movies), it's a very difficult book, but is wonderful!, yes the book is probably better than the movies, but all the cinematographic versions that I have seen are very beautiful.  :)

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 11:10:02 AM »
I intend to read the book myself, but first Doctor Zhivago - which was finally rereleased here - because I wanted to read that one for so long, before watching the movies - Though I might buy them before reading.