Author Topic: Prince Nicholas of Romania--his life and his wives  (Read 74838 times)

Offline ilios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Prince Nicholas of Romania--his life and his wives
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »
A little note with Ioana and Nicholas.

Ioana was a rich woman. She had lands in Tohani, Romania.

They had winery over there.

Today Printul Nicolae wines are produced and sold there.

Here is the site:

http://www.tohani-dealumare.ro/

Offline ilios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »
I also found an excerpt about how they met with Ioana:

Nicholas was born at 3/15 August 1903 and he learned at Eton College, England (Queen Victory of Spain was his Aunt).

The Prince loved sports, the automobiles, plains and ships. Also he had an adventurous temper.

In 1928, for example, Prince comes into the one of restaurants of Bucharest and he was sitting near his friend Radu SAVEANU who was accompanied by Ioana, his wife. At the end of dinner, the Prince invited Ioana, in his car, only. After that, very quickly, the woman obtains the divorce, she was acquired the former name Ioana Dumitrescu DOLETE. From that moment they didn’t separated than in 1963, when Ioana died, in Lausanne, in Switzerland.

In 1927 the Prince Nicholas was part of Regency Council, for King Mihai (son of the Carol II), who had only 6 years old.

In 1930, Nicholas helped his brother Carol to recover his throne.

The monotony of the place Tohani was disturbed, in 1931, when Ioana Dumitrescu DOLETE (she was born here) brings her lover – Prince Nicholas of HOHENZOLERN – and at the guildhall they married in big secret.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2008, 01:58:31 AM »
Really interesting thank you ilios .... 

Offline slavona

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 11:51:29 AM »
I think Nicky was once angaged to Irene of Greece. He later married a commoner.  ???

What happened with this engagement?

Was Nicholas ever linked to any other royal princesses?

According to Marie, the romanian govern considered there are to many greeks in the family ( Sitta and George) and they had to wait. In 1924 Marie wrote that Tim (princess Irene) asked Nicky to abandoned the idea. Probably because she finally meet more people and it was over for her. Nicky suffered more, mostly because, I think, he was in love with the idea of love and marriage

Offline ilios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
that's an interesting detail. in various sources nicky is portrayed as a shy, spoiled boy or man. this would probably because of his mother.

again in various sources, it seems that nicky would easily fall in love and making proposal to date girls he liked. but he is mostly rejected.

I think, after all, though he enjoyed a pleasurable life with his royal privilages(sport cars, common people respect etc.), he realized that he missed the ways to rise in power as a man. this was probably very obvious for him during the council presidency while Carol's exile.

He finally rejected his family for a woman and withdrew from the environment he lived. I think this should be his very first attempt to find his real character. I hope he found it soon. But I don't think so... :)

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2008, 01:46:36 PM »
he was double crossed by king Carol who encouraged the marriage as a way to exile him. She was the step daughter of Prince Tchkotoua so not  so common.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »
I read in a book on Ena that when Nicholas's wife fainted in Villa Fontanine (Lausanne) because of the stuffiness of the room. Ena went over and observed her. "She even faints like a commoner doesn't she ?" shewas heard to pronounce after viewing her like an insect or animal....

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »
well, if the cap fits

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »
I read in a book on Ena that when Nicholas's wife fainted in Villa Fontanine (Lausanne) because of the stuffiness of the room. Ena went over and observed her. "She even faints like a commoner doesn't she ?" shewas heard to pronounce after viewing her like an insect or animal....

Lol... :D

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2008, 03:55:43 AM »
Interesting to know about Irene! I found this interesting also Queen Helen, Mother of Prince Michael in "Recollections of a Romanian Diplomat" confided that Nicholas seemed to be a sensible man and would be satisfied to just get his morganatic Marriage recognized and be able to settle again in Romania. He would even come the first year without his wife.

http://books.google.com/books?id=yldSILSotk4C&pg=PA384&dq=Prince+Nicholas+of+romania&ei=P3INSdrLDoO6yASCyJDRDw#PPA374,M1

Interesting also is this Nicholas's complaints against his Brother:

http://books.google.com/books?id=yldSILSotk4C&pg=PA384&dq=Prince+Nicholas+of+romania&ei=P3INSdrLDoO6yASCyJDRDw#PPA384,M1

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »
Seems like a nice book to be had. Nicholas seemed quite a turncoat. Also Queen Helen a grand dame ! Very interesting.

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2008, 05:41:45 AM »
Carol was determined to rid himself of any rival sibling and encouraged his brothers romance and was then able to exile him. Certainly he did not want anyone who could play Regent for his son

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2008, 03:56:45 PM »
I read Nicholas had a sad end. Is that true ?

Offline ilios

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 04:10:24 PM »
interesting Eric. Could you tell us some about what you know?

I think at final he had hatred against all royal things before he died. And also think he died lonely although he was married to Thereza.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
Didn't know too much that is why I asked. Nicky was always a bit of a loner. She wasn't close to Missy, but he also had disagreements with brother Karol.