Author Topic: Romanov Family Album, by Swezey & Massie  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Russian_Duchess_#5

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Romanov Family Album, by Swezey & Massie
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:13:49 PM »
I am mostly interested in photographs of the Romanovs-espexially Aleksey ;)-I have read a great deal about the dynasty, but every book that I get my hands on is pure literature and only a couple of formal portraits compiled here and there which I have seen wayyyyyy tooooooo many of . The Romanov Family Album sounds like the perfect book for me, but I cant seem to find it anywhere!!HELP SOS (ASAP)
thanks,

sofia

[edited to add author info to subject line]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:30:40 AM by Sarushka »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Romanov Family Album
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:23:04 PM »
It's out of print, but you can get used copies online.
I did a search at bookfinder.com for you. Click on the prices to get more information on any particular copy.
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=Vw3O6XMAocXnSyiS6rxAYyEpNJE_4439704271_1:5:5

This one is signed by the author:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=Vw3O6XMAocXnSyiS6rxAYyEpNJE_4439704271_1:4:12

I got one for $25, and after seeing it, I wouldn't pay more than $50-60 for it myself, but everybody's budget is different!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 02:15:08 PM »
Thank you so much!!!!! You have been a big help Sarushka!!
  sofi

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 06:13:18 PM »
Don't waste the money.  Check out Anna Vyrubova's Albums on Yale's Beinecke Library website.  Those are all the same photos, and a good deal more, as well as in much better digital quality!

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 06:15:25 PM »
Please also try eurohistory.com (Arturo Beeche).  Arturo is the best source of books on the Romanovs.

Amelia

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 06:16:42 PM »
Thanks Amelia!! I'll try that before buying the book.
                      sofi :P

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 06:32:08 PM »
Lanie's right -- you will find more photos on the Beinicke site. Also, the commentary in the book is nothing but excerpts from Anna Vyrubova's memoirs, which you can read in their entirety on the Alexander Palace Time Machine site.

But if you're like me and want to have the book in your hands/on your shelf, I think it's well worth the price I paid for it.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 07:17:54 PM »
 ;)Yep, i agree with you there, I DO want the ACTUAL book in my ACTUAL hands. Do you suppose that that's an Anastasia trait? ::)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 10:46:27 AM »
Not a bad book. In my opinion any photo book of the Romanovs is worth much. When I first saw a photo book of the Romanovs and held in my hands, I saw the Romanovs in a whole new light. But sadlly, while I have seen a few books of Romanov photos, I have always found the best photos online. I print them off and have stacks of them. I love the formal ones. Photographs help you understand the romanovs better.

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
Re: Romanov Family Album, by Swezey & Massie
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
I just got this for Christmas yesterday! It's very nice! I have only found one photo mislabled thankfully! My cousin's lucky i didn't squish her with excitement... in fact the christmas tag said it was from the "best cousin EVER!"... how very true!  :)
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!