Author Topic: Nicholas I & Alexandra  (Read 7790 times)

Offline Ammie

• View Profile
Nicholas I & Alexandra
« on: June 28, 2004, 01:08:33 PM »
Reading Romanov Autumn got me interested in the first Nicholas & Alexandra. Does anybody know of a good book on either of them?   Thanks in advance
Ammie   :)

Offline Ammie

• View Profile
Re: Nicholas I & Alexandra
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 04:04:06 PM »
Thanks Elisa!  I'll have to check out my library for your suggestions.  Have another question, has anybody read this book "The Shadow of the Winter Palace: Russia's Drift to Revolution, 1825-1917 by Edward Crankshaw"?  Is it any good?  Any comments would be great.
TIA
Ammie

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 03:43:37 PM »
I haven't read this book, but got a couple of customer reviews from Amazon, here they are:

A witty and wide-ranging study of Russia's drift to revolution from the 1825 Decembrist uprising to the final downfall in WWI. Mr. Crankshaw has drawn in the cultural influences on the Russian intelligentsia through those years -- Dostoyevsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Mendeleyev -- and their influence and despair. (Mr. Crankshaw notes Mendeleyev's removal from his university professorship by the Minister of Education, a political hack, and the scientist's subsequent rescue by the Finance Minister, Witte). More and more intellectuals turn to revolutionary plotting or simple apathy while Russia's economy and military struggle to catch up to Europe and ultimately fail.

You'll find vivid personal portraits all through the story -- the Tsars, of course, Nicholas I, Alexander II and III -- but also some figures struggling heroically against the ultimate failure: Gen. Totleben at the siege of Sevastopol in 1854; Gen. Loris-Melikov attempting to reform the doomed tsardom of Alexander II in 1880; prime ministers Witte and Stolypin in their time working against the clock to industrialize a sullen and balky nation. And the revolutionaries: the Decembrists; the young students-turned-assassin stalking Alexander II; intellectual rebels like Herzen and Chernyshevsky.

All this puts an 80-year perspective on the events leading to the 1905 revolution and the ultimate, completed downfall in 1917. His bibliographic comments on other sources -- including Robert Massie's Nicholas and Alexandra -- are well worth reading as well: sharp, wide-ranging and with the same depth of perspective. Well worth reading in light of the present-day Russia's attempts to find its way...

-----------------------------

This is an outstanding choice for anyone who wants to learn more about and understand the forces involved in Russia's autocratic Tsarist political system from 1825 to the Revolution of 1917.

The author masterfully blends history, political thought, biography, (and a dry sense of humor at times!) to a monumental task in examining the changes in Russia in the last 100 or so years prior to the Soviet era. (he covers some significant events in the reign of Alexander I) We see how Russia's expansion to Central Asia; the impact of the Crimean War; the economic modernizing problems resulting from serfdom; and the war with Japan in the early 20th Century shaped and influenced the thinking in the country.

Crankshaw is able to clearly deliniate the trends, and the significant events and people which made those trends possible. All in an easy to read and interesting style.

A fascinating and highly informative read!

Reading Romanov Autumn got me interested in the first Nicholas & Alexandra. Does anybody know of a good book on either of them?   Thanks in advance
Ammie   :)

Offline CuriousOne

• Curiousity is great because it leads to answers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 02:57:32 PM »
Robert  K Massie became interested in the Romanovs which he states in his first paragraph in the Introduction:

"The writing of this book is the result, like most things in life, of a circumstance of Fate.  Since the day, now over ten years ago, that my wife and I discovered that our son had hemophilia, I have tired to learn how other families dealt with the problems raised by this unique disease."

I think the Robert  K. Massie did his homework and did the best historical presentation of anyone with the information which was known at that time.

Book was publish in 1967.

Curious One

This thread is about Nicholas I and Alexandra not Nicholas II and Alexandra
Alixz
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:56:59 PM by Alixz »

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 11:38:53 AM »
I would like to know if there is an English biography of Tsar Nicholas I or his wife Alexandra that anyone can recommend. I am not interested in the political aspect of their life so much as I am about their personal family life, their children, etc. I have become more interested in the family life of this first Nicholas and Alexandra as I have read how tightly knit the family was, what a loving couple and devoted parents they were, how happy their children's childhood was, etc. This was of course much like the second Nicholas and Alexandra, except they were considered to be much more successful as rulers.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:16:52 PM »
I would like to know if there is an English biography of Tsar Nicholas I or his wife Alexandra that anyone can recommend. I am not interested in the political aspect of their life so much as I am about their personal family life, their children, etc. I have become more interested in the family life of this first Nicholas and Alexandra as I have read how tightly knit the family was, what a loving couple and devoted parents they were, how happy their children's childhood was, etc. This was of course much like the second Nicholas and Alexandra, except they were considered to be much more successful as rulers.

One book in English does exist:

Nicholas I: Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias written by W. Bruce Lincoln that was published by Northern Illinois University Press.

Although the emphasis is perhaps more political  and does not quite meet your requirements it is still worth reading.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 06:03:57 PM »
Often, political biographies are all that exist of earlier Romanovs, which is a pity. Didn't he also write a book about Russian in general. The first Nicholas and Alexandra were not as interesting as the later couple of the same name- maybe that accounts for the lack of interest... , or lack of books about them. :-\

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 06:39:30 PM »
... Didn't he also write a book about Russian in general. The first Nicholas and Alexandra were not as interesting as the later couple of the same name- maybe that accounts for the lack of interest... , or lack of books about them. :-\

Yes he wrote a general book titled "The Romanovs" which is not bad at all.

Margarita
  :)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »
The Lincoln book is fantastic...but mainly political and not enough about the family - which is most often than not the case anyhow!

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Alixz

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 10:57:35 PM »
Actually, Nicholas I and his wife Alexandra began the whole tribe that resulted in Nicholas II and all of the many branches of Romanovs who later betrayed Nicholas II and some who defected away from the Autocracy.

I find Nicholas I interesting in both his political and personal life.

Romanov Autumn by Charlot Zeepvat has quite a bit on Nicholas I and then all of his descendants.  He was he first of the Romanovs to have a large family and then each of his sons had a large family and so on and so on.

I like this book very much.    :)

Offline GDNastya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:22:06 AM »
Empress Alexandra Fiodorovna by O.Barkovets and N. Vernova

Does anyone can give me ISBN and info about the book?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:47:33 AM by Sarushka »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
I've seen only Russian version of the book and can say the edition is very good,many pictures and text is informative. As well as many others photo-bios published by ABRIS. Though actually I've not pick the book up as I was not impressed much by it. But it's just me )) as I have many other Russian books on the Russian Empresses and Empress AF, of course, so I recommend the book to all who are interested in the Romanov family story.

Alixz

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:19:40 AM »
This looks to be about the wife of Nicholas I.  The first Nicholas and Alexandra.

The style of the dress and hair look more early 19th century than later 19th century?

Is that true?

Offline Raegan

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 08:23:33 AM »
Here is the link...

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/grb/rom193.html

Sadly, it is out of stock.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 12:38:57 PM »
This looks to be about the wife of Nicholas I.  The first Nicholas and Alexandra.

The style of the dress and hair look more early 19th century than later 19th century?

Is that true?

True. About Nicholas I's wife.