Author Topic: The Youssupov jewelry  (Read 232482 times)

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
Re: The Youssupov jewelry
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
The pink Rams head diamond was bought by the Singer sewing machine heiress and socialite  Daisy Fellowes who had it reset as a ring which was later stolen from her.
The Sultan of Morroco diamond was sold in the USA. It has been resold several times scince.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »
Subsequent owners , per her bio notes, were an unnamed woman who died shortly thereafter; Mrs. Hamilton Rice....

I wonder if that is the same Mrs Hamilton Rice aka Eleanor Elkins Widener who,  whilst on the Titanic, possessed a string of pearls which under her insurance policy she was forbidden to let out of her sight!!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2009, 01:53:20 PM »
there are a lot of extremely interesting pic of Yusupovs jewels, but u talk about Pelegrina pearl.

Does anybody know about RUBY "BENGAL FLAME",  DIAMONDS "THE HEAD OF A RAM", "SULTAN OF MAROCCO"?

The Sultan of Morocco is a 35.27 carat blueish-grey diamond.Considered the 4th largest blue diamond in the world (the next biggest is only a fraction of a carat larger).

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »
Re  the diamond known as "The Sultan of Morocco" :  The site "famousdiamonds.tripod.com" shows a photograph of this stone under "Famous, Historic and Notable Diamonds."  The site seems to have little information on it, historically.  It says that " In 1972 it was sold to a private American collector."  This site was allegedly last updated December 24th, 2008, but this MAY refer to added stones and NOT the updating of each individual diamond, etc.     AP

Offline Annetta

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »
thank you

Does anybody has a picture of famous diamond POLAR STAR which was posessed by Tatiana Yusupova?
i have some info about ita fate in XIX century.
"Kindness and honesty is important only"

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »
thank you

Does anybody has a picture of famous diamond POLAR STAR which was posessed by Tatiana Yusupova?
i have some info about ita fate in XIX century.
The diamond was illustrated (with an accompanying article by my late friend Hans Nadelhoffer) in the Christies Review for 1981.Try contacting Christies (via their website? ) for details.

Offline Annetta

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2009, 01:21:21 PM »
In 1858 prince Nicolas junior lived in Paris and bought a lot of things, knick-nacks for his Moika palace and for his own. He loved precious stones very much, I heard a lot about jewels brought from some auction of 1857-58 (?). Do u know anything about that event?

Then Nicolas bought a diadema of greece princess with a big diamond-solitaire of 35 carat weight. Maybe somebody has a pic of that jewel? i failed to find it(
"Kindness and honesty is important only"

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
In 1858 prince Nicolas junior lived in Paris and bought a lot of things, knick-nacks for his Moika palace and for his own. He loved precious stones very much, I heard a lot about jewels brought from some auction of 1857-58 (?). Do u know anything about that event?

Then Nicolas bought a diadema of greece princess with a big diamond-solitaire of 35 carat weight. Maybe somebody has a pic of that jewel? i failed to find it(
This diamond may have been the Sultan of Morrocco...

Offline Alexandre64

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2009, 04:43:14 AM »
Alexandre64
Faced with bodice of the Empress Eugenie, with the pearl "The Regent":
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Alexandre64_2007/Youssoupov/2146442270031751182ferzxb91.jpg

Here is information on the pearl "Napoleon" and not "Regent", and on the front of the blouse, it was done by the jeweler Lemonnier in 1859 for the marriage of Napoleon III and Eugénie.

Presented for sale in 1887 as No. 42 under the name wrong pearl "the Regent", estimated 223.000Francs, sold 176.000Francs a Mr. Rossel
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:19:45 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »
They had amazing jewels, is sad that many of them got lost

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2009, 12:23:34 PM »
On October 21st in New York city Christie's will sell the 4 1/4 inch high blue Venus sapphire statue brought out of Russia in 1919 by Felix.

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »
Annetta,
I found this website about the Polar Star which has a picture of it:

http://www.indianetzone.com/6/pole_star.htm

BobG
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:08:18 PM by BobG »

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
Unfortunately, the pictures are only in black and white in Ferrand's book. Sorry.
Is a pity, but they look incredible anyway, thank you for post all this beautiful things!!!

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2009, 06:09:07 AM »
Are her earrings black pearls?

They look like it don't they?  At this date they would be natural pearls which would make them a significant piece of jewellery in themselves. These days with the reasonably easy availability of good quality cultured pearls (there's whole shops dedicated to them in Sydney and Perth in Australia) it's easy to forget how rare a good unblemished pearl was right up to the early 20th century. A good pearl was cosidered a fine gift for Royalty and all the pearls Alexandra wore were quite outstanding in their way...so it wouldn't do for the Yussupov's not to match or better the Romanovs in this department :)

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2009, 05:43:46 AM »

I knew I'd seen this tiara before.  It was made by Chaumet in Paris in 1914 for Princess Irene Yussupov with ecus comptes design motif.

I'd swear though that I've seen the real thing somewhere illustrated in a book (frustrated)

Also some other known jewllery purchases of the Yussupov's in Paris are:

1856 - Turquoise and diamond necklace
1857 - The "Acerado Diamond" purchased from Mellier for 82,300 franks
1857 - Emerald scarab egyptian bracelet 1,125 franks from Mellier
1857 - Necklace and bodice front for 70,000 franks from Mellier (bought for Princess Tatiana) decorated with 81 emeralds and several hundred diamonds
1857 - Greek diadem in diamonds
1857 - Pearl and diamond necklace
1858 - Large 25 carat ruby "Bengal fire"
1858 - Gold brooch set with emeralds, rubies and diamonds
1867 - a turquoise and diamond set
1887 - Three sapphire briolettes with diamond calottes and topped by a brilliant costing 26,000 franks
1887 - the year the French crown jewels were sold and they bought the Regent Pearl or the Napoleon Pearl an egg shaped pearl of 337 grains set on a diadem belonging to the Empress Marie Louise. This was placed into a bodice ornament in 1853 and was purchased by the Princess for 176,000 franks.
1894 - Diamond star diadem from Boucheron
1894 - Bodice front with six knots of brilliants for hanging three large pear brilliants and a large steel brilliant for 19,218 franks from Bucheron

When their jewellery was catalogued in 1888 caskets of jewels were classified by type of object and included 6 diadems, 15 necklaces and sets, 11 pairs of earrings, 49 brooches, clasps, devigne or pins, 23 bracelets, 5 medallions, 7 solitares all made at Mellerio dits Meller in Paris.

La Regent below - in 2005 it sold for 1.6 million pounds:

In 1914 when Prince Felix Yussupov got married he ordered an rock crystal and diamond tiara from Cartier for the wedding which is still well known.  Some old jewellery was also remodelled by Chaumet and included a headband in with diamonds and rubies and a narrow headband open worked in diamonds with a quadrangular emerald in the centre. He also had a "rising sun" egret with the "Polar Star" diamond jointed with other diamonds.  A large sapphire and diamond chain and another chain in rubies and diamonds and a jewellery set in emeralds based on Marie Antoinette's "Queen's necklace" with a 14 carat emerald centerpiece.  A bodice front of diamonds and rubies was also made and a dog collar in diamonds and pearls.  

Below is a sketch of one the pieces made by Chaumet for Irene and Felix in 1914

The Yussupov's really knew how to spend at the jewelers!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:36:58 AM by Svetabel »