Author Topic: Dutch Romanov exhibition  (Read 7776 times)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Dutch Romanov exhibition
« on: September 18, 2004, 03:08:20 PM »
From http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=132&fArticleId=2228448:

Doomed royals' human face

Amsterdam - Toys, games and a huge portrait of Alexi, the boy who never became tsar, give a sad tinge to an exhibition showing the human face of Russia's ill-fated last royal family at the Dutch branch of Russia's Hermitage museum. Six rooms of portraits, religious objects, jewellery, paintings, clothing and photos tell the story of Nicholas II, the last of the 300-year Romanov dynasty.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch Romanov exhibition
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 10:28:52 AM »
Dear Helen

A simple question you might be kind enough to answer - how far would you travel to see this exhibition?

tsaria

elisa_1872

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 01:26:10 PM »
Many many thanks indeed to Helen for so kindly sharing all those details about the exhibition! The personal cloths and toys of Alexei must have been incredible touching, and the silk dress of Alix..+ ( Has anyone who has been yet obtained a copy of the catalog, who could share what it is like?)
Harald and Helen, enjoy your next visit(s) :)

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 05:46:29 PM »
Today I visited the Nicholas & Alexandra exhibition at the Hermitage in Amsterdam. I won't name all the objects of this exhibit as Helen already did in an earlier post, but I will give my impression.

The first thing that attracts your attention, when entering the different rooms, are the doors. They are covered with a sort of transparent photographs of Nicholas and Alexandra. It gives you a bit of a shock, cause the photo's are quite big. Tho' it's beautifully done.

I'm having mixed feelings as I walked along the objects, seeing things they once touched and clothes they once wore. The paintings impressed me most. It feels rather strange to stand before a portrait I've only seen in books.
There's the amazing portrait of Zinaida Yusupova by Flameng, with that big Peregrine pearl. The colors of this painting are beautiful, so soft. And than that wonderful portrait of a beautiful and delicate Ella by Sohn.

But the one that really got me a lump in my throat was the portrait of Alix by Bodarevsky.  Standing in front of it - my nose nearly touched it - is so different as watching it from a book. I was so touched by the her sad expression in those beautiful eyes.
There's also a beautiful big portrait of Nicholas by an unknown painter and I had to laugh at the remarks some old ladies made what a handsome and attractive man he was. So I guess I'm not the only one. ;) And of course the famous wedding and coronation paintings by Tuxen.

The fact that this exhibition was rather small and showed so few personal belongings of the Imperial Family, some clothes and toys of Alexei, but nothing of the girls, was a bit of a disappointment to me. I think my expectations were maybe a little too high compared to the descriptions of the Santa Fé exhibit, which was much bigger.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it very much and what I've seen was a great treasure to me. Definitely worthwhile to visit again.

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Offline JWK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 02:21:30 PM »
Saw the exhibition this week, and wasn't really impressed with it.

Seeing the unimaginable amount of treasures they can choose from, they managed somehow to choose those that show just the tiniest glimpse of the life of the Romanovs.

I was lured to the museum by their claim "The exhibition presents the life of the last Csar and his wife", but I walked out not very much the wiser.

The setup is a bit too cramped, and what were the (fabulous)  Fabergé pieces (with the odd piece by other jewellers) doing in the room dedicated to the "State" life of the Romanovs ?

Glad I did go though, if only for the portrait of Zinaida Yussupov (fantastic - but she's not a Romanov), and the Fabergé.

And the link for the Hermitage, Amsterdam :  www.hermitage.nl   (with a brief overview of the exhibition)

JW
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by JWK »

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 06:39:01 PM »
JWK.... I can understand your feelings, I was a little disappointed too. I suppose they will never put up such a great exhibit in our country as in Newark or Santa F. It's probably a question of money.
This knew building "The little Hermitage" so called annex, would have made a real grand and official opening with an extensive exhibition on the Romanovs... Like paying a tribute to the original Hermitage.
Well, let us be happy we've been able to see some objects. Tho' it looked like we got some leftovers. :'(
A tiny Fabergé egg or at least one original letter and more of the girls, would have been nice. Alas, so be it.

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 01:35:17 AM »
The online exhibit presents a few very interesting paintings. The format is large enough to see small details at a screen resolution. I've especially enjoyed The church parade by Boris Kustodiyev - one of my favorite Russian painters.

The picture is by no means flattering to the portrayed personages - the priest, the general just behind Nicholas, the soldiers etc. The year is 1906, so the child carried by Nicholas - dressed as a girl - can only be Alexey, can't it? But who is the boy behind them?...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Mike »

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 01:43:41 AM »
Looks like Nicholas is carrying Alexei and the boy behind them could be G.D. Dmitri Pavlovich?

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 09:34:32 PM »
Hi Mike and Lanie,

Boris Kustodiev’s painting does show the young tsarevich and GD Dmitri Pavlovich. Full name of this delightful painting is « Church parade of the Life-Guards Finland Regiment » which the artist painted in 1906 and which I have seen at the 1999 Nicholas and Alexandra USA exhibition . The catalogue describes it this way: « The painting portrays the ceremonial presentation of the new commander-in-chief to the Finland regiment, which took place in the Great Riding School at Tsarskoe Selo on 12 December 1905. Present were Emperor Nicholas II, Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaevich (the younger), Mikhail Alexandrovich, Dmitry Pavlovich, Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, the grand duchesses and other members of the royal family. The commander of the regiment, Major-General P.M. Samgin, stands alongside Nicholas II. The service was conducted by the presbyter of the military and naval clergy, A. A. Zhelobovsky. Nicholas II is carrying the tsarevich in his arms. »

I might add that the officer on the far left is Major-General N. A. Epanchin, then director of the Corps des Pages. His presence is explained when we read on :
« The following  description of the event comes from the diary of Nicholas II : ‘Monday 12 December. A religious ceremony took place at 10 :30 in the exercise ring : present were the first company of the Corps des Pages, the Finland Regiment and a platoon of the Volynsly Regiment. Alexei also took part and behaved himself very well. When the priest sprinkled holy water on the men, I took Alexei in my arms and walked along the front rank. It was the first time that the Finns and their commander-in-chief had met each other.’ »

The tsarevich had been named colonel-in-chief (« shef ») of a few regiments the day he was born, including this regiment. December 12 was the holiday of the Corps des Pages, the tsarevich’s Guards’ Finlandsky Regiment and a number of other regiments, including the Guards’ Volynsky Regiment which had G.D. Nicholas Nicholaevich as colonel-in-chief  : he is obviously wearing his regiment’s uniform on the painting. I can’t see G.D. Michael on the painting. On the other hand, not mentioned, but easily recognizable, are G.D. Vladimir and G.D. Constantine (between G.D. Nicholas and Vladimir). Young Dmitri seems to be wearing the uniform of the 2nd Guards’ Rifles Battalion.  

I agree with Mike : this painting is not very flattering : it looks almost satyrical!  but I guess it looked realistic enough then to be accepted. Kustodiev really is a great artist.
Daniel Briere

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 11:00:22 AM »
Daniel, thanks for your nice comment on Kustodiev's nice painting. One remark on the catalogue's quote from Nicholas II's diary:
«...It was the first time that the Finns and their commander-in-chief had met each other.’ »

It makes an impression of the Finlandsky regiment's men being Finnish nationals - which they normally weren't. Unlike a few Finnish rifle battalions and one dragoons regiment, the Guards Finlandsky regiment was related to Finland only by its name. Finnish nationals (both Finns and Swedes) were serving in the Russian army as soldiers and officers (including several prominent generals), but only occasionally were they enlisted into the Finlandsky regiment. The Russian original of the diary entry for 12 December 1905 reads finlyandtsy rather than finny - which, in this context, should be translated members of the Finlandsky regiment.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 01:00:35 AM »
« The painting portrays the ceremonial presentation of the new commander-in-chief to the Finland regiment, which took place in the Great Riding School at Tsarskoe Selo on 12 December 1905.

Boris Kustodiev's painting is interesting as it conveys how the interior of the Riding School in Tsarskoe Selo looked c1900's. Does anyone have photos of it from that period and today?

Joanna

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 11:05:42 PM »
Mike : thanks for correcting the faulty translation of the exbition catalogue. I copied exactly what the catalogue said but I knew it couldn’t be right and should have mentioned it. Most translators seem to have problems with military terms and names : I’ve seen some pretty ludicrous ones! I could add that in the same text the tsarevich is described as « commander-in-chief » of the regiment by his father. Of course, Nicholas II used the word « shef » which is usually translated as colonel-in-chief. I prefer the word « chief » although it requires some explanation.

Joanna : I have a few photos of reviews taken in the Tsarskoe Selo Manege, but I have no idea if it has survived and how it would look today.

Daniel Briere

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 05:44:56 AM »
The Manege (Riding School) in 1911, when it housed the education section of the Tsarskoye Selo bicentenary exhibition:

[size=10]An old postcard from http://geglov2.narod.ru - a very illustrative but paralyzingly slow site in Russian[/size]

In 2002, the building was scheduled for reconstruction, to be used by the Agricultural University as a sports exercise hall. No idea if this has already been done.

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 08:28:48 PM »
I am in awe to see the Manege! Many many thanks Mike for this fantastic site!

Joanna

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 01:34:45 PM »
Who can tell me (because I live in Holland) which books about the Romanovs can you buy in the Museum-shop of the Dutch Hermitage?