Author Topic: Tsar memorial vandalized  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Tsar memorial vandalized
« on: July 06, 2004, 06:53:28 PM »
From http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/07/06/vandal.shtml:

Memorial to Last Tsar Vandalized
Created: 06.07.2004 14:36 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 17:17 MSK, 10 hours 21 minutes ago

Vandals defaced a church temple near the site in Yekaterinburg where Bolsheviks executed the Romanov royal family in 1918, writing pro-communist graffiti over its walls, the Russian Information Agency Novosti reported.

Here, in a house belonging to the engineer Ignatyev, Nicholas II, Russia’s last emperor, together with his wife and children, were shot and buried after the Bolshevik revolution stormed through Russia in October 1917.

Sources in the eparchy told the news agency that the hooligans had splashed paint on the walls of the church and wrote slogans celebrating Vladimir Lenin, and profanities against the tsar.

The attack came days before festivities commemorating the 86th anniversary of the tsar’s death are set to begin in the Ural city on July 13.

The site where the royal family was shot has come under attack before. In 1996, the church watchtower survived an arson attempt, and in 1998 an explosion at the church was averted.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »

Sunny

Re: Tsar memorial vandalized
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 07:36:38 PM »
They know not what they do... :'(

Sunny

NAAOTMA

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 07:49:33 PM »
So so so very sad. Melissa K.

Offline Merrique

• Knyaz
  • aka Yekaterina Yevgenievna
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 07:54:19 PM »
It just goes to show you how some people have no respect for anything!It really makes me mad! >:(

I hope the vandals are caught and dealt with!
Don't knock on Death's door....ring the doorbell and run. He hates that.:D

elisa_1872

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 06:08:20 AM »
Oh this makes me so sad... :'(

"They know not what they do"..

rskkiya

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 08:14:18 AM »
Sad.... but the wheel turns...
After all, there were some initially similar reactions to  the establishment of Communism in Russia  to begin with - so I cannot say I am surprised by this.  Nevertheless, vandalism is inheirently vulgar.

R.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 03:42:56 PM »
I am absolutely horrified to learn of this grotesque act of vandalism.   I visited the Cathedral last autumn and found the statue impressive and moving.  

It takes the form of a very large Orthodox Cross.   On the side which looks across the lake, Nicholas II stands, gazing into the horizon.  He is carrying Alexei in his arms.   Erect and proud, standing slightly behind her husband, to his right, is Empress Alexandra Feodorovna.  On his left, is Anastasia.  

The reverse of the Cross, faces the cathedral.   Grand Duchess Olga stands in the middle.   One hand is raised covering her eyes.   On her right is Tatiana.   Her right hand is placed across her left breast,  To Olga's left, Maria is depicted crumpling, clutching her oldest sister's  gown.

I promised Bob I would send copies of my photographs.   I will do so tomorrow and hopefully it will not be long before they are posted for everyone to see.

Like everyone else, I am disgusted.  

They do know what they are doing.   The question is WHY?

tsaria

Offline Maria_Vanya

• Long Live The Romanovs(~A.N.R ~)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 04:57:08 PM »
Words cannot describe how much anger and sadness is in me... :'( >:(

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 09:29:09 PM »
What an absolutely disgusting attention-seeking act. It was obviously achieved to gain media exposure for a lost cause just before the Anniversary of the murder of the I.F. and their faithful retainers.

These criminals have achieved nothing. It was a political stunt.

At least the damage can be removed before the Commemoration begins.
:'(

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline KayTanaka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 03:30:59 AM »
I have always felt that so many things happen because of lack of understanding or willingness to understand.  Or because of a tendency to accept as true stories that never were.  Or to believe and blame because the complete story remains untold and so the humanity is removed.  Over the years, as I have tried to share a different perspective regarding Nicholas and Alexandra and the unique circumstances which governed their lives and those closest to them, I have often encountered bitterness and hostility.  In present tense, these energies continue to manifest even around the  "Nicholas and Alexandra:  At Home with the Last Tsar and His Family" exhibition which recently premiered in Santa Fe.  Some continue to delight in taking vengence against the Family using whatever form is available.  The theme remains that they received what was due them.  In my many conversations, I have often shared photographs of the children, hoping that the sight of such young beauty and innocence might speak better than I.  And then I have put forward the question asking what reason could ever be given for brutally murdering such beings.  So it is indeed a shame, but not a surprise, that in death--as in life--the things which memorialize them would be targeted as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by KayTanaka »

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 06:35:21 AM »
Dear Kay,
Without referring to the despicable act of vandalism and to the broader issue of human intolerance, may I say how much do I appreciate your beautiful style of writing.

Unfortunately such a fine and logical language is rare at web forums. For people like me whose English is not their native or even primarily spoken language it's both enjoyable and enriching to read posts lile yours.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Mike »

Offline KayTanaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 05:59:34 AM »
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your kind remarks.  I consider it an honor to have finally found a place where I might share with others a lifetime of deep feelings and thoughts in regard to Nicholas and Alexandra and their remarkable, brave family.

Many Blessings,

Kay

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 08:55:26 PM »
How awful. Hasn't this family suffered enough? Please don't try to destroy them again  :'(

Offline AnBhanfhaidh

• Bozhe Tsarya Khrani!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 06:55:18 PM »
I am absolutely horrified to learn of this grotesque act of vandalism.   I visited the Cathedral last autumn and found the statue impressive and moving.  

It takes the form of a very large Orthodox Cross.   On the side which looks across the lake, Nicholas II stands, gazing into the horizon.  He is carrying Alexei in his arms.   Erect and proud, standing slightly behind her husband, to his right, is Empress Alexandra Feodorovna.  On his left, is Anastasia.  

The reverse of the Cross, faces the cathedral.   Grand Duchess Olga stands in the middle.   One hand is raised covering her eyes.   On her right is Tatiana.   Her right hand is placed across her left breast,  To Olga's left, Maria is depicted crumpling, clutching her oldest sister's  gown.

I promised Bob I would send copies of my photographs.   I will do so tomorrow and hopefully it will not be long before they are posted for everyone to see.

Like everyone else, I am disgusted.  

They do know what they are doing.   The question is WHY?

tsaria

Oh, this sounds so moving - I've never heard of this sculpture (?). You describe it so well, I can almost see it. Oh, yes, please, let's see the photos.
CMTH  (Tanya)

Offline azrael7171918

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2004, 04:52:20 PM »
Please Please (I have to back one of these days to brushing up on my written Russian)

LETS SEE THE PHOTOS!!!!!!!!

I have been trying to find photos of the statue so that all figures can be seen clearly.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere in the area of the Cathedral that would sell photos and such.

I know the church in NYC ROCOR head quarters and many other churches here have gift shops, I don't know if the Russian churches themselves in Russia do.