Author Topic: Imperial Russian Navy ranks  (Read 4184 times)

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
Imperial Russian Navy ranks
« on: September 11, 2005, 02:20:33 PM »
The Russian navy had a rank called General Admiral, which was equivalent, I think, to Admiral of the Fleet or Grand  Admiral.
It was abolished in 1909 (I am not quite sure of the correct date but close to this if not 1909),
Does any one know why, and the story about this rank?
Also what was the insignia for this rank?

David_Pritchard

Re: Imperial Russian Navy ranks
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 06:09:04 PM »
The naval rank of General Adrmiral was one of the top four positions of the Empire to be listed in the table of ranks the other three equivelent ranks being General Field Marshal, Chancellor and Actual Privy Councillor of the First Class.

I believe that the last holder of this rank was HIH Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich, son of Alexander II, brother of Alexander III and uncle of Nicholas II. The Grand Duke died in 1909 and it may be that no one else of his standing was available to fill this high post, thus it was abolished.

David

Offline Patrokl

• Decendant of Navy and Cossacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 06:48:25 PM »
General-Admiral was also the rank for land admirals in charge of Naval Infantry.

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 10:21:48 PM »
The rank (and title) of general admiral wasn't abolished.  Last general admiral was Grand Duke Alexis Alexandrovich (not Vladimir) who held the title from 1881 until he resigned in disgrace in 1905 after the War with Japan. Rank insignia was field marshal batons over 3 admiral eagles. No one was appointed to succeed him but the rank wasn't abolished. Same thing happened when General Field Marshal Grand Duke Michael Nicholaevich died in 1909.

There were indeed generals in the Navy but they didn't have the title of general admiral, only generals of the Navy, equal to their counterparts in the Army.
Daniel Briere

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 10:56:31 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the very helpful information.
I understand there were no General Field Marshals in the Russian army either just prior to and during World War I except for several foreign sovereigns.
I know Kaiser Wilhelm II held an honorary rank in the Russian Navy. Was it General Admiral or just Admiral?
Slightly off topic. Most monarchs took the highest ranks in thier army and navy when they succeeded to the throne. Nicholas II was content to remain a colonel. This led to some criticism. Was it a mistake for him not to lead the Russian army and navy as at least a general and admiral? {any answers, of course, will be a personal opinion but interesting just the same.}
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James1941 »

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
< Re: Imperial Russian Navy ranks
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 12:27:13 AM »
After General-Admiral Apraksin (appointed in 1756), all three bearers of this rank were grand dukes: Pavel (1762), Konstantin Nikolaevich (1831), and Alexei Alexandrovich (1883).

The last Russian Field Marchal was Count Dmitriy Milyutin (d. 1912). Afetr him the only remaining bearers of the rank were two foreign kings: Nicholas of Monte-Negro and Carol of Romania.

Kaiser Wilhelm held the Russian rank of Admiral. Likewise, Nicholas II was awarded the equivalent German navy rank.