Author Topic: The Dukes of Modena, Este and Habsburg-Este  (Read 94752 times)

Offline Bourgogne

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: The Dukes of Modena, Este and Habsburg-Este
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2009, 11:32:13 AM »

The first Beatrice ( Beatrice di Este Modena, duchessa di Modena , Reggio e Ferrara, Principessa de Massa e Carrara)

But if the girl seated at the harpsichord is Marie-Béatrice, who is the other girl in the background? She had no sister, just a stillborn brother...

Offline Bourgogne

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
I would like to find a picture of Maria d'Este (1644-1684).

She was a daughter of Francesco I, duke of Modena, and Maria Farnese.

She married her cousin, Ranuccio II Farnese, duke of Parma (wo was previously married to Marguerite of Savoy and to Isabella d'Este, Maria's sister).

She was the mother of the two last Farnese, dukes of Parma : Francesco et Antonio.

Could someone post a picture of her? I never found it!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 04:48:48 AM by amedeo »

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »

This is Ranuccio II with his 3 wives - Violante Marguerite of Savoy (1635-1663), Isabella d'Este (1635-1666) and Maria d'Este (1644-1684).  I don't know for sure who is who, but would suspect the one on the right is Maria, who might have been still living at the time the portraits were painted and at any rate was the longest-lasting wife so would very likely have got top billing.   Would the two sisters Isabella and Maria be fair, while the Savoyan was dark - in which case it would be Isabella, Violante Marguerite and Maria? 

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2009, 10:10:13 PM »
Any portraits of Isabella d'Este (1635-1666)?

Offline regensburg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2009, 11:19:14 AM »
I'll try these images again

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
I have also seen this cropped version portrait of Isabella...have you ever seen the whole one?

Offline regensburg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2009, 02:14:54 PM »
Sorry! That's all I have. It's a bit blurred.

Offline Bourgogne

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »

This is Ranuccio II with his 3 wives - Violante Marguerite of Savoy (1635-1663), Isabella d'Este (1635-1666) and Maria d'Este (1644-1684).  I don't know for sure who is who, but would suspect the one on the right is Maria, who might have been still living at the time the portraits were painted and at any rate was the longest-lasting wife so would very likely have got top billing.   Would the two sisters Isabella and Maria be fair, while the Savoyan was dark - in which case it would be Isabella, Violante Marguerite and Maria? 

Tank you CountessKate!
Well, I knew this picture, but I'm not sure these 3 women are Ranuccio's wives. They're just personifications of the 3 duchies of Ranuccio : Parma Piacenza and Castro...
By the way, that's my opinion, the 3 wives painted together, kneeling in front of Ranuccio's portrait, this would have been of very bad taste!!!
Maybe the 3 duchies have the faces of his 3 wives, but honestly I don't think so...

Offline Bourgogne

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »
I have also seen this cropped version portrait of Isabella...have you ever seen the whole one?

I've got this engraving, made after the portrait...

But, as I had observed it, we can find portraits of Marguerite-Violante and Isabella, but for Maria, nothing. Strange, for the mother of the two last dukes...

Offline Desiderata

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »

But, as I had observed it, we can find portraits of Marguerite-Violante and Isabella, but for Maria, nothing. Strange, for the mother of the two last dukes...

You said you have found portraits of Marguerite-Violante and Isabella, but I can't find their pictures anywhere. I would greatly appreciate if you set some useful links. Thanks!

Offline HSH The Duchess of Bourbon

• Boyar
  • HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2010, 10:56:37 AM »

You said you have found portraits of Marguerite-Violante and Isabella, but I can't find their pictures anywhere. I would greatly appreciate if you set some useful links. Thanks!

Yes Yes Yes! Anyone?!
HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood

Offline Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
Pictures of Princess Adelgunde of Bavaria (19 Mar 1823 in Würzburg; 28 Jan 1914 in Munich), wife of Duke Francis V of Modena

With her husband

With her Wittelsbach relations.

Making her 90th birthday on 19 Mar 1913

Offline Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2010, 02:50:26 PM »
Picture of the grave of Princess Anna of Modena Chiesa di San Vincenzo in Modena. She was the only child of Duke Francis V of Modena and Princess Adelgunde of Bavaria. She died in infancy.

Might like to read this account of the birth of Princess Anna of Modena at the height of the Italian Revolutions in 1848.
http://www.jacobite.ca/gazetteer/Italy/Gries.htm

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »
Was the building their residence ?

Offline Hector

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2010, 04:00:20 PM »
Was the building their residence ?

They primarily residence was the Ducal Palace of Modena until 1860 when the Italian unification happened.

This building was once Villa Aufschneiter. It's in in the town of Gries. Gries is located about 50 kilometres south of the Austrian border. Today it is a suburb to the northwest of the city of Bolzano. Until 1919 this area of Italy was part of Austria.

In September 1848 Duchess Adelgunde, wife of Duke Francis V, arrived in Gries. She and her husband had left Modena in March on account of the revolution. Francis V returned to Modena in August but it was decided that if was safer for Adelgunde to wait longer. In Gries she lived at the Villa Aufschneiter which was a luxury hotel at the time. On October 19, 1848, Duchess Adelgunde gave birth to her only child, Princess Anna of Modena, at the villa. Anna was baptised there privately the next day.

Francis visited his wife and daughter at the villa several times. At the end of May 1849 Adelgunde and Anna left Gries and returned to Modena.

Villa Aufschneiter is now a geriatric hospital "Casa di Cura Grieserhof" operated by the Sisters of the Third Order of Saint Francis.

This is the street front facade of Palais Modena which was formerly located at Bveatrixgasse 29 in Vienna. The gardens of the palace are today the Modenapark.

In 1806 the palace was acquired by the grandmother of Duke Francis V, Duchess Maria Beatrice Riccarda of Modena (after whom the street Beatrixgasse is named). She was also the mother-in-law of Austrian Emperor Francis II by his third marriage. It was Francis V's main residence from 1860 until his death in 1875 when the palace was inherited by Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. Francis V's widow Adelgunde continued to have residency rights in the palace, but she generally preferred to live in her native Bavaria. The palace was demolished in 1916.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:03:39 PM by Hector »