Author Topic: Romanov Autumn by Charlotte Zeepvat  (Read 69869 times)

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
Romanov Autumn by Charlotte Zeepvat
« on: July 11, 2004, 12:34:17 AM »
I am tempted to buy this, but it is expensive. It is all stories, right? All of them true? Are there any pictures? Thanks!

This board is so great. It is like a mini consumer report!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Romanov Autumn by Charlotte Zeepvat
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 12:50:12 AM »
This is a great, great book! It has some photos but also little drawings preceding each chapter. They are little vignettes based on writings Charlotte Zeepvat has done for Royalty Digest. They are really interesting, especially if your interest goes behind NAOTMAA into some of the lesser known Romanovs. This book is what got me interested in many of them. Are you in this US or UK or where? I saw on Amazon the book for about $38 and on amazon.uk for GBP 6.99 to GBP 19.99 depending on new/used hb/pb. It occasionally pops up on ebay as well. Definite buy!
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 12:54:40 AM »
Thanks grandduchessella! Are the pictures of all Romanovs, or mostly one era (i.e.: nicholas II or the era of like peter the great and stuff?)

I am in the U.S.

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 02:30:22 PM »
Are the pictures of all Romanovs, or mostly one era (i.e.: nicholas II or the era of like peter the great and stuff?)

Abby,
I recently purchased this book and it has pictures from different eras ranging from Nicholas I to Nicholas II. It surprised me by having pictures of Nicholas II and family that I hadn't seen elsewhere. I picked up my copy on eBay for $12.99, so it doesn't necessarily have to be expensive.

Offline Louise

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 05:50:55 PM »
This is one fantastic book. It has short stories on members of the IF that I was not familiar with, and I came away with much more respect for the other Romanov's. I highly recommend this book.

Good luck and happy reading if you get it.

Louise
The sign of a sick mind is studying for a final exam and thinking it's the

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 06:41:51 PM »
Thanks, all of you! Luckily I scored this book on Amazon.com's used section for $7.99! :D Guys, always search Amazon first when looking for books. they have tons of used ones in just about every title. It's better than Ebay!

I can't wait to get it and read all the stories and gossip!

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 07:39:49 PM »
"Romanov Autumn" sounds like a great book.  I would just like to know who the author is so that I could find it on Amazon.com.  Thank you in advance.

Dasha
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline Louise

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 07:43:07 PM »
The book is by Charlotte Zeepvat. When you are on Amazon, check out her other books on European Royalty.

Enjoy,

Louise
The sign of a sick mind is studying for a final exam and thinking it's the

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 08:54:30 PM »
The book is by Charlotte Zeepvat. When you are on Amazon, check out her other books on European Royalty.

Enjoy,

Louise

Louise, thank you so much.  I appreciate your help.

Dasha
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 12:36:45 PM »
I was looking at this book in a library in another city where I am not authorized to check out books, so I couldn't read it all. It had some magnificient pics I had never seen. But I noticed some glaring inaccuracies in the family tree chart concerning birth and death dates of some people, and they even listed King Alphonso's wife as the princess Beatrice who was involved with Misha instead of Ena who was the daughter of Victoria's youngest daughter Beatrice. So I am wondering, are there any other things in this book  that is inaccurate or questionable?

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 01:30:02 PM »
I don't know about these mistakes.

I love Charlotte's writing, and I know that even the best writers can make mistakes. Many of us spend time reading others' work for just this kind of fact checking.

It's good to be a critical reader, I think, and aware of the above - and it should in no way interfere with one's enjoyment of a writers work. Just my opinion.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »
I'm sure the book is great and I'd love to get a hold of a copy I can have time to read. Maybe it wasn't even her who made out the family tree chart, but it did have several mistakes compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 08:23:09 PM »
My biggest complaint about this book is the author's use of the anglicized versions for Grand Duke and Grand Duchess. If she is writing about the Russian Imperial family then she should use the accepted Russian  transliterations, and not try to place these names into an English context. The author claims (p xii) that the accepted appellations are "odd and uncomfortable", while the most annoying explanation was her profound comment concerning the term Tsarevich being known only in England as the name of an English horse race was a bit much to bare.

Another problem I had with this book was its inadequate referencing. At times I could identify exactly where the paragraphs came from, however there were a few which made me curious, and unfortunately there was no where to go back to, despite the extensive bibliography.

Despite these major disappointments, I enjoyed this book. I found the B/W illustrations at the beginning of each chapter a delight. However all the photographs are not unique, when compared to her most recent publication.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 08:15:52 PM »
I just wanted to thank all those who recommended this book to me.  Charlotte Zeepvat is such a wonderful writer that I feel like I can really know the people she is writing about.  Her style brings the Romanovs alive to me!!  And as pps have said, I am really enjoying learning about some of the lesser known members of the family.  This book is a gem!!

Denise

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 09:37:31 AM »
I know Charlotte, respect and like her work and think her a great addition to the world of royal studies...however, I do not agree on her use of the "Grand Prince/Princess" title for GRAND DUKES/DUCHESSES.  

I also think that she tends to over-romanticize royals and view them as people who never made a mistake.  As a friend of both of us said not long ago "she still has not met one [a royal] she does not like."

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com