Author Topic: Thurn und Taxis, the elder line  (Read 227556 times)

Rani

Re: Thurn und Taxis, the elder line
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »
Is this also a portrait of Therese or of one of her sisters?

It is Therese.

Offline Rebecca

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 15, 2009, 10:24:14 AM »
I have a question regarding the house laws of the Thurn und Taxis-family. I hope somebody can clarify this...

According to the GHdA (Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels) these three marriages were morganatic: prince Alexander's (1906-1992) to countess Marie Valerie von Mazzuchelli, prince Hugo's (1916-1975) to countess Beatrice von Bethusy-Huc, and prince Max Emanuel's (1935-) to countess Anna Maria von Pocci.

But earlier, the marriage between Fürst Maximilian Karl (1802-1871) and baroness Wilhelmine von Dörnberg was apparently considered equal. As were the marriage of prince Theodor (1834-1876) to baroness Melanie von Seckendorff. The marriage between prince Egon (1832-1892) and Viktoria Edelspacher de Gyoryok also seems to have been considered as equal. Lots of other Thurn und Taxis princes married countesses, but these marriages were not considered morganatic. Why this inconsistency? Were the house laws sharpened at some time or did something else happen, which made marriages to baronesses equal but marriages to certain countesses not?

I know very little about the house laws of the Thurn und Taxis-family, if there are any - but apparently there are since the three mentioned marriages seem to be considered as morganatic. Like I said, maybe someone can clarify this? :-)
Hineni, ahuv scheli!

Words should be weighed, not counted.
Endast de tama fåglarna har en längtan. De vilda flyger. (Elmer Diktonius)

Rani

« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
I have a question regarding the house laws of the Thurn und Taxis-family. I hope somebody can clarify this...

According to the GHdA (Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels) these three marriages were morganatic: prince Alexander's (1906-1992) to countess Marie Valerie von Mazzuchelli, prince Hugo's (1916-1975) to countess Beatrice von Bethusy-Huc, and prince Max Emanuel's (1935-) to countess Anna Maria von Pocci.

But earlier, the marriage between Fürst Maximilian Karl (1802-1871) and baroness Wilhelmine von Dörnberg was apparently considered equal. As were the marriage of prince Theodor (1834-1876) to baroness Melanie von Seckendorff. The marriage between prince Egon (1832-1892) and Viktoria Edelspacher de Gyoryok also seems to have been considered as equal. Lots of other Thurn und Taxis princes married countesses, but these marriages were not considered morganatic. Why this inconsistency? Were the house laws sharpened at some time or did something else happen, which made marriages to baronesses equal but marriages to certain countesses not?

I know very little about the house laws of the Thurn und Taxis-family, if there are any - but apparently there are since the three mentioned marriages seem to be considered as morganatic. Like I said, maybe someone can clarify this? :-)
I would say that these princes were not so important. But Maximilian Karl was the next head of the house Thurn und Taxis. And his wife has to be a member of a princely house. Wilhelmine was just a baronesse. Maximilians mother Therese (sister of Queen Luisa of Prussia) was against this marriage. But he married Wilhelmine.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 22, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
While googling I found this portrait of Prince von Thurn und Taxis...It is made in Germany in 1946 by Kristian Krekovic...

The portrait is donation to the Croatian museum and it could be connected with Castle Grobnik,owned until 1945 by Thurn und Taxis family...The castle was bought by Princess Viktoria von Thurn und Taxis in 1872 and that her heir was Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis until 1945...but Viktoria didn't have a son named Albert...her sons were Viktor and Maximilian...as her line died out in 1928 with Prince Viktor...The castle could pass to the other member of the family who could be the owner until 1945 until it was confiscated by the state of Yugoslavia...So,who could this be?

Rani

« Reply #229 on: March 23, 2009, 01:52:34 PM »
While googling I found this portrait of Prince von Thurn und Taxis...It is made in Germany in 1946 by Kristian Krekovic...

The portrait is donation to the Croatian museum and it could be connected with Castle Grobnik,owned until 1945 by Thurn und Taxis family...The castle was bought by Princess Viktoria von Thurn und Taxis in 1872 and that her heir was Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis until 1945...but Viktoria didn't have a son named Albert...her sons were Viktor and Maximilian...as her line died out in 1928 with Prince Viktor...The castle could pass to the other member of the family who could be the owner until 1945 until it was confiscated by the state of Yugoslavia...So,who could this be?

Could it be Prinz Raymond della Torre e Tasso?? I´m not sure.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »
Don't think it is Raymund...it is said that this is the last owner of castle Grobnik before the confiscation...it is said that the last owner was Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis and that he inherited the castle from Princess Viktoria von Thurn und Taxis who bought it...yet she didn't have a son named Albert,so don't know which branch could inherit the castle after her death or after the death of her sons...

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2009, 01:50:15 AM »
Could it be Prinz Raymond della Torre e Tasso?? I´m not sure.

He does look like Raymond.

Rani

« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2009, 03:11:07 PM »
you have a photo of Raymond to compare ?

A "little" bit small

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2009, 06:48:41 PM »
Well,it really does look like him...it is painted in 1946

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2009, 08:35:35 PM »
Which one in the group is him ?

Rani

« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Which one in the group is him ?

Number 74

You can also see his wife (later ex-wife) Eugenia, nr. 35
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:11:22 PM by Rani »

Rani

« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2009, 02:09:54 PM »
If you are interested in the other people:

1. Prinz Reiner von Hessen, 2. Prinz Otto von Hessen, 3. Prinzessin Irene von den Niederlanden, 4. Kronprinz Konstantin von Griechenland
                                           5. Prinzesin Anne von Frankreich, 6. Prinz Georg von Hohenlohe-Langenburg, 7. Herzogin Helen Toerring, 8. Prinzessin Tatiana Radziwill
                                           9. Herzog Hans Veit Toerring, 10. Prinzessin Irene von Griechenland, 11. Diane von Frankreich, 12. Prinz Kraft Hohenlohe-Langenburg
                                           13. Prinzessin Beatrix Hohenlohe-Langenburg, 14. Prinz Ludwig von Baden, 15. Prinzessin Sofia von Griechenland
                                           16. Erzherzogin Minola von Habsburg, 17. Prinzessin Elizabeth von Jugoslawien, 18. Prinz  Karl von Hessen,
                                           19. Maria-Mercedes, Herzogin von Barcelona
                                           20. Don Juan, Graf von Barcelona, 21. Großherzogin von Luxemburg, 22. Prinzessin Marie von Griechenland (geborene Bonaparte)
                                           23. ihr Ehemann, Prinz Georg von Griechenland, 24. Königin Juliana von den Niederlanden, 25. Herzogin von Paris
                                           26. Ex-König Michael von Rumänien, 27. Prinzessin Anne, seine Frau, 28. Prinz Gottfried von Hohenlohe-Langenburg
                                           29. Prinzessin Margaretha Hohenlohe-Langenburg, 30. Prinzessin Marie-Louise von Bulgarien, 31. Ex-König Simeon von Bulgarien
                                           32. Königin Frederika von Griechenland, 33. Prinzessin Viggo, Herzogin von Rosenborg, 34. König Paul von Griechenland
                                           35. Prinzessin Eugénie von Thurn und Taxis, 36. Prinzessin Hélène von Frankreich, 37. Prinr Bernhard von den Niederlanden
                                           38. Prinzessin Margaretha von Schweden, 39. Großherzogin Charlotte von Luxemburg, 40. Herzogin Thyra von Mecklenburg
                                           41. Herzog Ludwig von Württemberg, 42. Herzogin von Württemberg, 43. Prinzessin Beatrix von den Niederlanden
                                           44. Prinz Georg-Wilhelm von Hannover, 45.Herzogin Charles von Toerring-Jettenbach, 46. Prinz Jacques von Borbon-Parma
                                           47. Herzogin Flemming von Rosenborg, 48. Herzog Flemming von Rosenborg, 49. Prinz Francois von Frankreich
                                           50. Prinzessin Georg-Wilhelm von Hannover, 51. Prinz Antoine von Bourbon-Sizilien, 52. Prinzessin Maria del Pilar
                                           53. Prinzessin Maria Gabriella von Bayern, 54. Prinz Albrecht von Bayern, 55. Prinzessin René von Bourbon-Parma
                                           56. Prinz Moritz von Hessen, 57. Erb-Großherzog Jean von Luxemburg, 58. Herzogin Christian Ludwig von Mecklenburg
                                           59. Prinzessin Christian von Schaumburg-Lippe, 60. Herzog von Württemberg, 61. Prinz Christian von Schaumburg-Lippe
                                           62. Herzogin Elizabeth von Württemberg, 63. Prinzessin Maria Christiana von Savoyen-Aosta, 64. Prinzessin Margarita von Baden
                                           65. Prinzessin Dorothea von Hessen, 66. Prinz Heinrich von Hessen, 67. Prinz Axel von Dänemark, 68. Prinz Dimitri von Russland
                                           69. Prinzessin Peter von Schleswig-Holstein, 70. Prinz André von Bourbon-Parma, 71. Prinz Peter von Schleswig-Holstein
                                           72. Prinz Christian von Hannover, 73. Prinzessin  Isabella von Frankreich, 74. Prinz Raymund von Thurn und Taxis
                                           75. Prinz Franz von Bayern, 76. Prinzessin Elisabeth von Luxemburg, 77. Prinzessin Astrid von Norwegen
                                           78. Prinz Henri von Frankreich, 79. Prinz Michael von Griechenland, 80. Prinz Welf-Heinrich von Hannover
                                           81. Prinz Ernst-August von Hannover, 82. Prinz Friedrich Ferdinand von Schleswig-Holstein, 83. Herzog Christian Ludwig von Mecklenburg
                                           84. Prinzessin Ernst-August von Hannover, 85. Prinz Viggo, Herzog von Rosenborg

King Paul and Queen Frederika invited in 1954 members of th European Roaylty to the Ägais.

Offline beladona

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »
If the heir of the castle was Albert Thurn-Taxis (as head of family and son of elder brother of Viktorias´ husband), could be on the picture one of his younger sons - I mean Raphael or Philip?

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »
It is a bit confusing since they said that the castle was inherited by Viktoria's son and later that the owner prior to 1945 was Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis...That portrait was a gift of a Croatian family to their National Museum...and it was painted by a Croatian painter Kristian Krekovic in 1946 in Germany...so,I was a bit confused who could it be...there is also a mistake since they said that the portrait represents "Count von Thurn und Taxis" so I assumed that someone here doesn't know much about titles,families etc. and that's why I think that the portrait is a mystery...and posted it here,so if someone knows...please help!

P.S.And it really does look like Prince Raymund von Thurn und Taxis...his family had a castle Duino in Trieste which was on the border with than Yugoslavia,so easily Prince could have some connections with people from the "next door" country...although they mention Castle Grobnik and not Duino...

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
The link still doesn't work. As the photo Rani tried to post is rare and such a nice snap shot, please go to this website http://visono02.diz.apa.net/sz/ and type "Karl Theodor Bayern" into the search field on the left. Then a couple of photos should appear. The one Rani refered to is the first picture. Just click on it to enlarge it.

By the way: Yes, it's Max Emanuel standing on the right. I had no idea that he was so much taller than Carl Theodor.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:55:26 PM by MarieCharlotte »
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth