Author Topic: What Can We Do To Experience the Life of the Romanovs?  (Read 16652 times)

Offline Tasha_R

• Graf
    • View Profile
What Can We Do To Experience the Life of the Romanovs?
« on: October 05, 2005, 03:35:41 PM »
I thought it might be fun to start a topic dedicated to listing those things which one might still experience today and feel some connection back to the family of the last Tsar.

For instance, in the Worth topic, it was mentioned that the perfume "Je Reviens" is one which is a remnant of the House of Worth, thereby giving its wearers a connection to this illustrious past.

Under the topics dedicated to Olga, Tatiana, and the rest of the children (even the Empress) there are mentions of other scents which might be possible to obtain today that might transport one back in time.

I have not delved into the topic on Tsar Nicholas, but I suspect which cigarettes he smoked might be mentioned somewhere.  While I don't condone smoking, if one does and the brand is still available, I suppose that would be another connection.

Then there are toys - we know that either the Tsarevich or one of the Grand Dukes had a Steif Teddy bear.  Steif actually reproduced this one (Alphonse) a few years ago, and I'm sure one could obtain it on the secondary market.

And of course, food!  There are menus still in existence today which state what was served when.  Perhaps you might decide to throw a party a' la Russe - these dishes would be most appropriate, of course!

Have fun with it - tell us your ideas on how you connect with them.  I'll post a reply to this to get you started.

All the best,
Tasha
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:21:36 PM by Alixz »

Offline Tasha_R

• Graf
    • View Profile
Furnishings from the Aesthetic Period
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 03:59:38 PM »
Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna was a supporter of the Jungstyle which was a German counterpart to the Art Nouveau movement found in Paris.  It was an outgrowth of the Aesthetic Movement, whose members included Charles Eastlake, Christopher Dresser, William Morris, Ruskin, and others.

This movement was much more than a decorating style.  It was a way of life for some - it included art, poetry, wall paper, textile, and furniture design, etc.  It all spoke of a desire to return to simpler times, to the handiwork of man - a turning away from the ugly aspects that industrialization had brought. (Don't misunderstand... they were not against industrialization nor the improvements it brought to lives; they were just against the uglier aspects of it).

Looking at the furniture that was used in the palaces through the photographs that the family took, one can see a number of Eastlake and Jungstyle/Art Nouveau pieces.  Based upon how she reared the children, I believe that the Tsaritsa might have sympathized with the ideals of this movement as well.

Some of the things which I have done to connect with these feelings and ambiance is to collect some fine pieces of Aesthetic Movement and Eastlake furnishings.  A number of rooms in our house are decorated with William Morris wallpapers.  Many of the acoutrements are also of this period.

While our home is certainly not a palace - as was mentioned in another thread, these furnishings are probably more in line with what would be found in an upper middle-class home anyway, so they fit.

All the best,
Tasha
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Tasha_R »

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: To Experience the life of the Romanovs
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 06:14:20 PM »
With regard to toys: the Tsar (yes, the Tsar, not the Tsarevich!!) had a model train set made by Marklin. Today, if one visits the Marklin Museum in Goppingen (in the south west of Germany, about 40 kms. north of Stuttgart) one can see a poster-sized portrait of the Tsar sitting on the floor and playing with the train. Good advertisement for Marklin model trains!!!!

TheAce1918

Re: To Experience the life of the Romanovs
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 08:38:11 PM »
With regard to toys: the Tsar (yes, the Tsar, not the Tsarevich!!) had a model train set made by Marklin. Today, if one visits the Marklin Museum in Goppingen (in the south west of Germany, about 40 kms. north of Stuttgart) one can see a poster-sized portrait of the Tsar sitting on the floor and playing with the train. Good advertisement for Marklin model trains!!!!

I can see the tag line now.  "The Tsar chooses Marklin!"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:20:22 PM by Alixz »

RomanovMartyrs

Re: What Can We Do To Experience the Life of the Romanovs?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »
This is a great topic, why has it been abandoned for so long?

I think the best way to connect with the Romanovs is to go outside and be with nature. I like to get friends together and go for a canoe trip, or just float around a bit in a lake. :)

Play tennis, or ride a horse, or just take a picnic.

If all else fails, plan a trip to a museum close to you that has Romanov treasures, or any Victorian treasure/art.

I like the suggestions before mine, too. That's funny that the Tsar had his own train set- for the kid in Nicky I suppose! It would be neat to get one's hands on a Steif teddy as well, or to purchase some Faberge replicas. Does anyone else have good ideas?

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »
I agree with you- excellet topic.

i have some violet essentail oil, while it is not Coty perfume, the scent is probably very similar to Anastasia's favorite...
in fact, i have lilac and rose, too, but no jasmine.

i made a short freize for part of my bedroom wall like OTMA had.

paint, perhaps outside, and do handwork like OTMA did

wear clothes similar to theirs, (though not to the extent of being stared at) and hairstyles. i wish my hair would pouf better... :)
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
Don't forget you could possibly get gold bracelets and wear them perhaps eventually they'll be stuck just like OTMA/Alexandra's! Can someone please post a menu or a couple menus please and thank you!  :)
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 06:01:10 AM »
Listen to the music of the time.

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 08:40:42 AM »
That's funny, Ace1918 !!
I agree too, RomanovMartys and GDAndrea !!!

Try to speak in Russian and Write too.
Not only in Russian, in Français, German, English, (the languages that the IF have spoken & writen) !!
Study Russian Revolution, The First World War, you know, things related to them !

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:19 PM »
What do you mean, Romanov History Buff, that they would get stuck?

Read books that they read
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline RHB

• Boyar
  • Four Sisters Always Remembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »
I believe it was mentioned by Yurvoursky (dang i can never spell his name right) that when they confiscated Alexandra/OTMA's jewelry for "safe keeping" they couldn't take the gold bracelets because they wouldn't come off... i think Alexandra/OTMA had theirs since childhood so as their wrists grew the bracelet would have gotten harder to get off... or something like that! If I remember the bracelets were for luck i believe!
<-- GDAndrea

Live and Die together!

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 03:30:06 AM »
On the music, you can download all the marches of the Imperial Guard from the Admiralty Navy Band website.

I have written bits of my novel to the Preobrazhensky March, and other bits to the Rachmaninov Vespers (first appeared in 1915).

BBC Radio 4 recently had an interesting programme about Jane Austen's taste in music (apparently she was a keen pianist and wrote out quite a lot of music of her period for her own use). I wonder whether something similar could be sone for the Imperial Family.

Ann

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 08:16:37 AM »
What do you mean, Romanov History Buff, that they would get stuck?

Read books that they read

Yeah!! Actually I'm reading "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle"! Nena told me that the book was read by Alexei, and I think I've read in some place that OTMA read too! (Correct me if I'm wrong ^^'). I think their tutors give them the book!

And that's strange Romanov_h_Buff! Lol.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
What do you mean, they couldn't get them off? do you mean that AOTMA wore the braclets all the time, even to bed? :o

Do you know if OTMA or Alexei ever read the Wizard of Oz or any of the other Oz books?  (they were published from 1900-1920.)
I'm a fan of Oz as well as the Romanovs. :)