Author Topic: Floorplans of the Alexander Palace  (Read 218478 times)

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Floorplans of the Alexander Palace
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2005, 01:40:04 PM »
You're doing a a great job of translation, Bob.  We all thank you and appreciate it.

There might to be two stairs to the tunnel.  If you look directly north of number 30 you see a set of 'double-doors' that  appear lead down to the tunnel.  I assume these double doors would keep out drafts and cold air from the tunnel.

At least that is my view.  Any others?

Douglas

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2005, 01:49:41 PM »
Am I being impatient or missed smoething ? What is #30 ? A courtyard I am supposing. Is this where deliveries would be made ?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2005, 02:43:08 PM »
It is hard to know what #30 is today.  We have to wait for the translations that Bob is so graciously doing. He spends most of his free time in the day doing these many pages of translations for us. He does not speak or read Russian but uses a dictionary...one word at a time.

I was wondering if  #30 is actually  the Central assembly area for the food that goes out to the tunnel.  I did wonder if this is open to the sky but that would be unusual...but you never know. There may be a large 'skylight' window in this room....which is what I suspect.

We have to wait until Vladimir is so kind and  posts the plan of the second floor.

Douglas
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Douglas »

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2005, 02:50:04 PM »
Douglas and  Robert,
Basically the kitchen building, like most Russian Building was a rectangular building built around a central courtyard.  There is a picture in Peter Kurth's book Tsar labeled "Revolutionary guards at the Alexander Palace" which always confused me as it didn't look like the Palace to me.  Now I know it was a picture of the entrance (# 29) through the courtyard (#30) of the kitchen building.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can legally post the picture.  But check out the book.

Douglas,

I think the double doors you refer to are on the main level and lead to the AP.  This was probably the main path to the Palace before the tunnel was built.  It leads to the basement room (# 36) of the AP where you can see the door to the outside as well as the entrance to the tunnel.

Bob G

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2005, 03:42:44 PM »
Bob and friends:

I vote for the two stairs from the kitchern building that go into the tunnel

First they appear on the plan from the 1928 book and  it would help to have two stairs so that there would not be a lot of up and down traffic on the stairs at the same time.  One may have been to go down and the other to to go up.  Just my thoughts.

Bob is correct.  The central courtyard kitchen building #30 on the plans is indeed open to the sky.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Modified:

OK.  It seems to me that the Stairs used to go down into the tunnel are on the top left side of plan.  The stairs ones uses to go up are on the right side by the kitchen office.

That way the empty pans would go directly across the courtyard and over to  #8,  the washroom .  The window on the right side is wider than the others and that might be the pass-through window.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Douglas »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2005, 05:21:26 AM »
Thank you both for the info. Personally, I am enjoying these posts- the kitchen and the basement more than any in a very long time. I think it fascinating to see how the palace actually functioned. Family life and the Court are all well and fine but have been discussed to tedium- this is a way to understand how people worked "behind the scenes" so to speak. Having been to the AP myself, now I will try and figure out where on the original plans the cloakroom and restrooms fit in...
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2005, 06:02:55 AM »
I'll second that Robert.  

tsaria

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2005, 06:32:23 AM »
Continuing our tour of the Kitchen Building:

18. Kvass branch where monastic and bread kvass was prepared , ice-cream and storage for various products for the confectioner's shop. Above it- entresol floor (mezzanine) on which were located two confectionary muzhik and one pupil - the confectioners served without  salary. In the middle there was a table for preparations.

19. A pantry for storage of kvass in ice.

20. A room for cooking sweets and rubbed sugar. In a corner on the exterior wall - a mortar, on the outside wall - table, at a partition  - table with a marble board, at a right side wall - a stove, at a back wall – a boiler for washing utensils.

21. Biscuit branch, with an oven for baking buiscuits. On opposite walls - two large tables and one small on which sweets were wrapped in paper.

22. A pantry for storage sweets and buscuits. There was a heater to keep the biscuits dry. On the long wall - the big table from with a perpendicular counter. At windows on street - a small little table for recording delivery of sweets. On the walls - glass cases for sweets.

23. Kitchen for all category V employees with a Russian furnace and the center. To the left of the entrance - a sink, then in a corner near the Russian furnace,  - a stove. Perpendicular to the wall, was a cabinet and a long table, forming a counter. [I think this is a duplicate from #22.  The floorplan doesn’t show this in this room.  BobG]  Nearby - two tables for having dinner, at windows - a table for preparation of foods. Tables were covered with cloths for a dinner and a supper.

24. A silver pantry with a boiler for washing silver and filters-jugs for water.

25. A pantry.

26. Ice Closet.

27. A shed-extension where there was an on duty horse for conveying foods and delivering products.

28. A lavatory.

Almost finished the kitchen building.  I wonder what other wonderful treats Vladimir will share with us? :)

BobG
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by BobG »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2005, 11:15:24 AM »
Ice storage.  I recall this coming up on a discussion about Titanic catering  methods but do not recall the answer. Did they still import the ice or did they have ice-making machines at this time? Presuming these are state-of-the-art kitchens.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2005, 11:44:52 AM »
Vladimir - thank you for all your work and for bringing the plans and the keys to the plans of the Alexander Palace to the Forum.  

BobG - you deserve a medal.   What a remarkable job.

Both of you have been so generous with your time and effort.   I have been lost in amazement and my imagination is painting the most wonderful pictures of days and a way of life that used to be.  

You have breathed life into the Alexander Palace and delivered a living, working organism.

With grateful thanks

tsaria

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2005, 01:18:52 PM »
The second floor of the kitchen building

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2005, 01:22:01 PM »
The kitchen building

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2005, 01:48:29 PM »
Continuing our tour of the Kitchen Building:
Almost finished the kitchen building.  I wonder what other wonderful treats Vladimir will share with us? :)

Thank you very much for the translation!    

Offline Elocin

• Working myself insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2005, 10:26:17 PM »
Thank you so much for the translations!   The time you must be spending to do this must be immense!

Nicole

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2005, 05:38:04 AM »
Here's page 529.

29. Passage.

30. Court yard.

EXPLANATION

The plan of II-nd floor.

1. Kitchens Linens.

2. A copper pantry (it is separated from a linen by trellised partition.)

3. Lavatory.

4. Room for cooks on-duty (there were 6-8 beds).

5. Room for category I - II  cooks.

6 and 7. Rooms of two cooks of I-st category.

8. The senior cook and the storekeeper.

9. Rooms for senior apprentice cooks of I-st category who received a salary and clothes.

10. Passage with a hearth for cooks.

11. Dining room for cooks.

12. A room younger apprentice cooks of II-nd category received an allowance and clothes.

13. Room for the janitors for 6 person, but there were 4-5 beds as the some people were day help.

14., 15 and 16. Kitchen, dining room and bedroom of train waiters who were on duty for two weeks. In the bedroom were three beds. To a table of a dish valets of tsarina submitted, and waiters brought vegetables, sauces, together with wine. (Not sure I understand this or got it right-- Bob G.) ???

17 and 18. The senior storekeeper.

19, 20 and 21. Room of headwaiters on-duty.

22. Room of twelve kitchen muzhiks.

I wonder if the FA will raise me to a higher membership level as a reward for all this work? ;)

BobG
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by BobG »