Author Topic: "The Other Boleyn Girl" dramatized?  (Read 106540 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: "The Other Boleyn Girl" dramatized?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 11:02:25 AM »
I suppose I am irreversibly ruined by reading, for the last ten years, the  incomparable Jean Plaidy, who is an absolutely wonderful author of historical fiction - and who doesn't even have to stoop to "fantasy" to make her books interesting. And now I have discovered Elizabeth Byrd, who is just as good. Too bad they don't make movies based on their books! After being exposed to these two amazing authors, unfortunatley anyone else attempting the same genre seems, at best .... well ... bad.

Offline historylover

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Writer and Editor
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 01:13:52 AM »
I grew up reading Jean Plaidy and I don't really agree.  I like Philippa Gregory, although she's quite hard on Elizabeth 1!

Regards,
Lisa

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 08:02:34 AM »
I like Philippa Gregory, although she's quite hard on Elizabeth 1!

Regards,
Lisa

I don't know if "quite hard on Elizabeth" is the right term. A more correct way to describe it, IMO, would be: she turns Elizabeth into a silly and weak harlequin romance heroine, which, IMO, is historically inaccurate and quite insulting. This is the main problem I have with Ms. Gregory's writing. In fact, most of her female characters are portrayed in a very distasteful way (IMO). But maybe it's just me...

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »
And me but I do like her non-royalty historical novels ;D
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »
I think that Ms. Gregory has a very active imagination, which is precisely what ruins her "historical" novels, but is the exact thing that is great for the authorship of regular fiction. She is not unique in this: I can think of other authors who, with their imaginative talents should be writing fiction only, but for some unknown reason wish to pursue historical non-fiction. IMO, Ms. Gregory would be so much better off sticking to regular fiction - something that would make everyone very happy - including yours truly  :). But obviously I realize that all this is not about making me happy but about selling books, so of course it will never happen   ;).

Offline Harumi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 02:20:43 PM »

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 02:36:05 PM »
Sorry, couldn't resist this; Bottom left photo, she looks a bit like Zara Phillips.  ;D

And Anne Boleyn is wearing the latest "chavtastic" trackie suit :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 02:42:27 PM by Kimberly »

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »
The 90 minute BBC program is on my new Six Wives of Henry VIII DVD set

Why, oh why, would they make not one but two films based on that horrible book?! I'd like to keep an open mind, but the Scarlett J one sounds like it will be even worse than the BBC film....

I am sure there will be many more books coming from Ms Gregory, as long as there is demand (and obviously there is). But then again, the mass market has never been known for good taste  ;)
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007, 05:24:28 PM »

How was it, Marlene? Did it only come out as part of the Six Wives set and not on its own?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 09:33:52 AM »
I thought it was a preview, then realized it wasn't .. because it lasted a long time.  I was taking down the Christmas tree so I wasn't really watching.  So now that I know, I will watch it again.

Yes, it is on the last dvd in the set for the Six Wives of Henry VIII  (with Keith Michell)

How was it, Marlene? Did it only come out as part of the Six Wives set and not on its own?

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 03:54:43 PM »
I have this boxed set now ;) There is also an excellent documentary about the execution of Anne Boleyn- part of the BBC 2 series (The Days That Shook The World).
I gave "The Other Boleyn Girl" another airing tonight and if nothing else, it really does portray the absolute ruthlessness of families throwing daughters into the Royal bed.

Offline Zanthia

• Boyar
  • "She always made other women look common"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »
Two pics from the upcoming movie. I hope they have corrected one of the mistakes that really annoyed me in the book: that Mary is portrayed as the eldest sister, like she was, instead of the youngest. But we'll have to wait and see.

The costumes seems to be good, but the fabric for the sleeves looks very shiny. I'm not sure if they had silk/satin back then ???
Of Alix: "I was raised in an age of beautiful women, and the two most beautiful was the Empress Elisabeth of Austria and my own mother"  George V

"We've invited all the beautiful women we know, but the Princess of Wales in the most beautiful of them all"  Bertie

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2007, 03:22:15 AM »
i'm not sure mary is the youngest sister...  :-\
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Zanthia

• Boyar
  • "She always made other women look common"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2007, 07:25:47 AM »
No, Anne was, but in the novel Anne was the oldest, and it really annoyed me, also that in the book, Mary is only 13 when she become Henry's mistress. That was so misplaced as anything could be. I don't think Henry would find sexual satisfaction with a child. (Catherine Howard was 16, but the body is more developed at this stage of the teens, and Henry was in the time of life when the midlife crisis usually turns in, at this point). There are strong evidence that says that Mary was the oldest of the Boleyn children, so why miss Gregory made her the youngest and put her date of birth as late as in 1508 is a riddle.  ??? If she was born in 1508, she would have been six years when she was sent to France to serve as maid-of-honour to Princess Mary Tudor, and about seven or eight when she was Francis I's mistress. I mean, come on, how likely is that? 8)
So I really hope the moviemakers have corrected those historical errors.

But my former post was easy to misunderstood, sorry :-*, hope it's clear now ;)

BTW, I had my doubts when I heard Natalie Portman should play Anne. I thought she would be to "sweet" for the part, but I love that look she has in the second pic. Very determined and tough, but also a little scared, knowing that she play with high stakes. I can easily imagine Anne looking like that.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:28:02 AM by Zanthia »
Of Alix: "I was raised in an age of beautiful women, and the two most beautiful was the Empress Elisabeth of Austria and my own mother"  George V

"We've invited all the beautiful women we know, but the Princess of Wales in the most beautiful of them all"  Bertie

Offline Twinkle

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2007, 07:43:01 AM »
I read 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and it's quite an entertaining read -providing you accept that it is heavily fictionalsed. It's just a shame that because the authoress has included a number of reference works in her bibliography, many readers will assume that her 'facts' are accurate -(and it is puzzling why anyone should go to so much trouble swatting- up only to squander the knowledge anyway. What's the point?) I agree that she isn't a patch on Jean Plaidy, who always researched extensively and knew that the true story was interesting enough without the need to try and embellish further. Her books are unputtdownable, and the characters so vivid that you live every moment with them and come away with far more knowledge on the era than any conventionable history lesson could provide.

I'm not getting a good feeling atall  about the 'Other Boleyn Girl' as a film. Neither of the actresses looks particularly well cast. I wonder if it's due to the fact that modern Hollywood faces have had so much surgical help that any essential character is missing? Contast those faces with the exquisitely bright and 'real' features of Genevieve Bujold in 'Anne of the Thousand Days' or the sultry Charlotte Rampling version of Anne in 'Henry VIII and his Six Wives'. (O.K. so the historical facts were a bit dodgy...) One actress whose face looks reasonably old fashined is possibly Racael Weisz? She'd have made a not bad Mary I think. Sometimes it would be almost better to take a chance on using an unknown name, but I don't suppose the film backers would go for the financial risk involved

Also the costumes look very disappointing. What are those silly little french hoods doing perched right up there ? In nearly all the designs, they concealed the ears. And where are the fabled hanging Boleyn sleeves? slashed puffs at the top of the sleeves were not that common until much later. The necklines were usually more elaborate too. Sorry to keep harping on about the the two previous films but the costuming was so superior. In almost every British T.V. drama on the Tudors the costuming has been superb. It's only in the last five years or so that it's started to suffer here too and ironically one of those T.V. dramas was- 'The Other Boleyn Girl'. Possibly the budgets just don't stretch to the same degree of splendour and authenticity any more. Or am I just being a grumpy old sod?