Author Topic: Riding his sled/sledge down the stairs at Tobolsk  (Read 62900 times)

Offline Danka

• View Profile
Re: Alexei's Fall at Tobolsk
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2007, 10:42:30 PM »
to the point of why he DID slide down the stairs, some of the older posts say that hemophelia can also cause something called "daredevils syndrome", most likely the cause...another biographical book about the Romanovs say that he was usually bored, since he was inside a lot of the time....

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »
It's hard to know from the diary entry if Aleksei spent the afternoon sliding down the steps, or only did it once. Kolya and Aleksei certainly played with the sledge and boat somehow or another for most of the day. I believe that while his parents tried not to be too over-protective of Aleksei's physical activity, they would have intervened if they throught he was doing something truly reckless. And I can't imagine that they wouldn't have noticed the sound of a wooden sledge going down a flight of stairs. ;)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2007, 07:53:40 AM »
Robert Massie was well placed to call haemophilia a 'capricious disease' since it was his own experience with his son which stimulated an interest in researching the history of haemophilia.   The result was his biography - 'Nicholas and Alexandra' - still in print more than forty years after its publication.

Alexei was not wrapped in cotton wool.   He did have his 'Uncles' who kept their eye on him, but according to a lady I knew, Alexei, and his minders, could be inordinately cavalier.    The late Vera Mikhailovna, (she died four years ago) whose father - called Uncle Misha by the Imperial children - tended the fires in the Alexander Palace.   Her family lived in a cottage not far from the palace and she recalled how Alexei used to ride his pony bareback.   Sometimes an 'Uncle' used a leading rein, but mostly the boy rode his pony with only a bridle and reins.   

In later years when the true cause of Alexei's mysterious illness was revealed, Vera Mikhailovna recalled the potential for the boy's serious injury.   

tsaria

Offline Natasya

• I like Russia, history, and Russian history.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
I'm surprised his parents would let him ride bareback. It is very rough, and without sturrups it is harder to stay on the horse.
A proof is a proof and when you have a good proof it's because it's prooven.
-Jean Chretien

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2007, 02:32:48 PM »
I thought that Alexei was forbidden to ride horses and bicycles on account of his condition....Robert Massie relates one incident where Nicholas sent a platoon of soldiers to "catch" Alexei after he borrowed a bike from someone in the course of a military review or parade or something.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »
I thought that Alexei was forbidden to ride horses and bicycles on account of his condition....Robert Massie relates one incident where Nicholas sent a platoon of soldiers to "catch" Alexei after he borrowed a bike from someone in the course of a military review or parade or something.

Aleksei had a special three-wheeled bicycle he was allowed to ride without assistance. He also rode from time to time on a special seat mounted over the handlebars of Derevenko's bicycle.

As for horses, I have seen photos of Aleksei on horseback, but to my knowledge, he was never allowed to actually ride. There's a short film clip of Aleksei on a horse behind the Alexander Palace, but the horse never even walks -- it's held in place by a Cossack or one of the sailor nannies.
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »
Thanks for the information Sarushka! It makes sense, as the risk of falling would be just too great in both cases

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2007, 06:22:05 PM »
You're welcome.

A couple photos for you:

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2007, 03:32:30 AM »
Thanks again Sarushka! I love the photos! Do you know who the child is on the other bicycle?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2007, 07:42:48 AM »
It could be one of Aleksei's Greek or Hessian cousins -- I'm pretty sure the photo was taken in Germany in 1910 -- but I don't know exactly who.

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »
I'm afraid I am no expert on the Greek or Hessian relations so I can't even hazard a guess !

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »
I've often wondered about this myself. It is hard to imagine him deliberately injuring himself given the previous situations he went through such as Spala. Most people do not use to deliberately hurt themselves.

Offline Natasya

• I like Russia, history, and Russian history.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2007, 04:40:28 PM »
I think, that if it was delibrate, it could possibly be to aviod going to "Moscow,"where he believed they were going.
A proof is a proof and when you have a good proof it's because it's prooven.
-Jean Chretien

Offline Nemos

• Knyaz
  • У Жака простака спина широка
    • View Profile
    • Царское Село
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2007, 03:51:23 PM »
http://pushkin-history.info/fotoalbom-old-1-/6122.html

Ïð â ëè ÿ ÷òî ýòî ñêîðåå âñåãî öåñ ðåâè÷ Àëåêñåé?
Whether rights I that it most likely cesarevitch Alexey?

À ýòî åãî ñ¸ñòðû?
And it is its sisters?

Ôîòî èç áèáëèîòåêè êîíãðåññà ÑØÀ.
Photo from library of the congress of the USA.
At Jacque of the gawk...
book-old.ru

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2007, 03:54:35 PM »
Amazing find!